Thanksgiving 2021

Agree- might depend on how old- this was a 1 or 2 year old local Ontario cheddar.

And it doesn’t bother me if a cheese was to break- Brie breaks on me, in other dishes!

I’ll add this- since Martha’s sauce would also be amazing on cauliflower. This is my favourite Mac& Cheese. This is also the only Martha Stewart recipe I’ve made and recommend over and over again! (Not that I’ve tried that many- just not that drawn to her persona)

1 Like

Adding previous Thanksgiving thread links:

6 Likes

Note to self and anyone else who may have experienced that turkey parts for advance gravy-making were scarce last year: I plan on buying either the necessary turkey parts or gravy from a turkey farm ahead of time.

Last year, I waited until a couple weeks before Thanksgiving and was out of luck at my hoped-for local sources. Might be easier to get the goods this year? We rarely allow ourselves gravy goodness so for this T’Day I’m planning further ahead.

3 Likes

The turkey looks AMAZING! I hope you and your family had a happy Thanksgiving!

I’ve already picked up a turkey breast at my local market and tucked it in my downstairs freezer, as I had read of supply chain issues potentially affecting availability in November.

I still don’t know what I’m doing for our U.S. holiday - 2 years ago, I was invited to my sister’s sister-in-law’s house, as we had just lost our mother a few days earlier, but I still ended up making my own turkey breast the Saturday after. Because…leftovers. :slight_smile: Last year, I just did my own thing (and she and her husband did the same at their cabin in Maine because…pandemic). This year, still not sure, but I know I’ll be making my own meal again some time that long holiday weekend.

6 Likes

What an absolutely gorgeous bird!!

1 Like

Made Tom Kha Turkey with my leftovers, some herbs and veg from the garden. Added noodles. Hit the spot.

Looked at a dozen online recipes- basically 4 cups broth, a thumbs sized piece of ginger (I had fresh ginger and my dried galangal is old), 1.5 cans coconut milk. 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp fish sauce, -ma few hot peppers, dozen mushrooms, some green beans, 2 cups leftover turkey, cilantro, 4 sliced green onions, half a lime

9 Likes

Curious how folks’ thanksgiving menus are shaping up, as I live vicariously again this year…

What’s going to be on the table?

Apps / hors d’oeuvres?

Sides?

Turkey or other main?

Dessert overdose or no room?

2 Likes

Just ordered some baccala dried and salted cod . Planning on making a cioppino. No squid here . Crab is a outside shot . Will be adding clams and mussels. I have to seek out the fish frames for stock .That could be a little trouble. Toasted baguette with some rouille . Pumpkin pie.

6 Likes

Do you put the baccala in your cioppino?

I am going to . Would normally use a snapper. But here not much available. Turning it around. Rouille on the side.

1 Like

I’m toying with the idea of a mini thanksgiving meal, though I’m currently far away from any region of celebration. Reminiscent of last year, but a different crew.

Pan-roasted chicken, simple (vegetarian) stuffing, white (breadcrumb) gravy, brown gravy, some sort of roasted veg, and potatoes (either roasted with the chicken or maybe scalloped).

Appetites are smaller here, though, so if I want to do apps (I really love the long grazing of T-day) it would have to be a separate meal on a separate day :joy: Assorted crostini (smoked salmon, nice cheese, marinated italian vegetables) and a dip or two (there’s a garlicky white bean dip that would be a copycat for the one at my neighborhood wine bar). Maybe gougeres if I can figure out how to rig the toaster oven.

7 Likes

Ran across this comprehensive list of 99 Thanksgiving questions and answers over at Leite’s Culinaria. From planning to leftovers, they appear to have it covered.

I’m having fun falling down this rabbit hole. (Some annoying pop-up ads as you read, but I find them easy enough to swat away.)

4 Likes

We were in Harvard for a few days early last month and stopped at Bob’s Turkey Farm in Lancaster to stock up on turkey pot pies for the winter. I also bought 2 quarts of turkey gravy in anticipation of Thanksgiving dinner. We have a small, fresh turkey ordered from a market in Orleans and have invited a friend to share our meal. And I don’t have to make gravy!! ( I hate the last minute business of gravy-making.) What have you decided to do about yours?

3 Likes

Wise of you to plan ahead! I read a Boston Globe story last week saying that all of the turkey at Bob’s had already been spoken for—they’ve never seen anything like it.

This year I decided to order turkey and gravy from Lilac Hedge Farm. I thought I’d be able to pick up in my town, but next week’s pickup point that will be most convenient to me is in…wait for it…Harvard.

I decided on a whole bird this year because I missed being able to make stock when I roasted just a turkey breast last year. And we hope to have a couple of vaxxed friends stop by to partake in next-day leftovers. Even thinking of making a turkey pot pie or two.

Here’s the link to the Globe article with the commentary from the owner of Bob’s Turkey Farm, for those who are able to access it (paywall). A main point is that locally raised poultry is in especially high demand this year. Area supermarkets quoted said they were well-positioned with frozen turkeys though prices are higher and selection of sizes more limited.

4 Likes

This year, The Day will be hard, as it’s the actual date of (and the 2nd anniversary of) losing my Mom. :cry: I was invited to my sister’s sister-in-law’s house, and will be going…with the caveat that I might need to step out for a bit if I get overwhelmed. Waiting to hear what I can bring…probably wine. (Her SIL’s husband is a former chef, so I expect he has everything food-related already planned.)

I’ll still be making my own private meal either Friday or Saturday, as I mentioned back in October in the thread. I bought a turkey breast awhile back, so that and homemade gravy are a definite, as well as sour cream mashed potatoes with TPSTOB. But since it’ll just be me, I expect I’ll jazz up the rest of the sides, and I have a couple things in mind already. Dessert might be something apple-y, might be something pumpkin-y. Might just be chocolate ice cream that’s in my downstairs freezer. We’ll see how I’m feeling leading up to it all.

14 Likes

How good to know that you’ve planned your TDay and the weekend in a supportive way. Your approach sounds perfect.

3 Likes

T-day a bit odd here this year. I have a 20lb turkey for 5 people, 2 of whom don’t really like turkey but will suffer through a bit of it. Last year, my in laws became eligible for a free turkey due to spending a particular amount at a store. They claimed their turkey, but all the store had was giant ones. Thereafter, MIL suffered a heart attack and passed a few months later. FIL is alone with a 20lb bird. So he brought it here. Feeding 5 is better than feeding 1 with this monstrosity. Among the other odd things, 1 kid doesn’t like cranberries, gravy, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin. Basically all the food right? The other doesn’t like gravy or sweet potatoes. The husband doesn’t like dishes that are too heavy or cream based. Or cheese based. The only thing all of us like and eat are stuffing, mashed potatoes, some type of green veg, and apple dessert.

One kid left this year for college. So suffice it to say, t-day this year will not be about the food. It will be about family bonding time.

9 Likes

What a great plan, Linda. It’s also terrific that you alerted your family that you might not stay. I have done that, and it helps to know I have their support. I hope the day goes smoothly for you.

8 Likes

We are headed to Chicago this weekend to see my family pre-Thanksgiving - I hate traveling over the actual holiday so this works out perfectly. I’ll be doing a small celebration at home this year, with DH and maybe a couple of friends. Unfortunately, I won’t be back to shop until Tuesday, so I’ll be stuck with whatever I can get. Who knows, maybe I’ll go buy lobster! I usually don’t make turkey (or I just do a couple of legs for DH), so no biggie if I can’t find any. Plenty of duck/chicken/turkey stock in the freezer from last year for gravy, which is all DH cares about! For me, stuffing is key, and I made my baguettes today - will toss them in the freezer and pull them out on Tuesday to oven dry.

8 Likes

Best to travel before the madness. And I’m with you on the stuffing…the best part of Thanksgiving (as long as it’s mine!)

2 Likes