Thanksgiving 2020

Non-food related: I will put on my face and dress up; sweat pants and tees are OK most days, but Thursday I’ll make the effort to honor the holiday.

6 Likes

Not in retail, no.

I’m actually okay with an early shift Friday. Normally I work a late shift, but a few friends and I have a tradition of getting together on Black Friday night to hangout for the last five years or so, so I’ll be able to make that. I’m actually looking forward to that more than Thanksgiving.

4 Likes

Considered that a month ago before things got really bad again. I phrased it as “Mom, imagine a Thanksgiving with no dishes!” She and the BF were down for it, but alas, COVID has made the decision for us.

1 Like

Whew. I feel much, much better. I’m struggling with words so hope you understand my sentiment. I hope it is as good a holiday as possible.

2 Likes

Our plans have evolved a bit. My delivery trip has dragged on and I won’t be home until late today. First available PCR test is next Tuesday and I don’t even know when the second one (after incubation period) will be. Thanksgiving will be my wife and cat upstairs and me quarantining in the basement.

I won’t risk my wife’s health for a holiday. It simply isn’t worth it.

3 Likes

Aww… :pensive:

I made olive cheddar puffs and pie dough this morning and started my duck legs in the sous vide. That is about the extent of my day-before prep this year - everything else can be done tomorrow, even pie! I may peel and slice the apples tonight just to get them out of the way, but I’ll do the actual baking tomorrow.

2 Likes

Just finished the bumble berry pie with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and a handful of sour cherries. Turned out well so that stress is lifted. 2 casseroles of stuffing in the fridge and will do cranberry next.
That’s it for now. Tomorrow I’ll do mash potatoes, green beans and spatchcocked turkey.
Just the two of us here and my sister and husband will come to the back porch to pick up their dinner baskets (about an hours drive) and maybe a quick glass of champagne.
The large gatherings that HAVE to happen are so worrisome. We are already in the red zone and it could get worse😱.
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

14 Likes

Your pie looks gorgeous! @Elsieb

1 Like

That is one stunning pie! I just finished rolling my crusts, crossing my fingers mine turn out half as gorgeous!

1 Like

I’ve never had (or even heard of) bumble berry pie. But now I want one . . . NOW!

1 Like

Baked cornbread last night for dressing. Measured out spices for homemade pumpkin pie this morning. Got bacon going and oven for biscuits. Then smoke started swirling out of the top of of our less than 2 year old Samsung stove. New one won’t be here until Monday. But we decided to move on. Turkey breast in a slow cooker. My husband has assured me he can bake the dressing, GBC corn casserole and brown and serve rolls outside on a gas grill/oven. I have my doubts about that.:slightly_smiling_face:Oh well, should be fun. Just 3 of us this year.so it shouldn’t matter too much if it doesn’t work out.

9 Likes

Cornbread DRESSING. Very Texas. :cowboy_hat_face: :smiley:

2 Likes

BF made a batch of his stuffing tonight for mom and I (and leftovers for days). Despite being someone who could live on bread, I never liked stuffing until I met him. His has sausage, cranberry sauce, and raisins. It is beyond description.

14 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your stove but it sounds like you have a good plan in place. My oven needs to be cleaned but I will never do it within a month of Thanksgiving. I self cleaned it, or least tried to, about a week before Thanksgiving one year and blew the fuse. Luckily I was able to get it repaired but the repair person said the week before and the week after Thanksgiving were the busiest weeks.

I have often used my grill as an extra oven. I usually cook my stuffing in the slow cooker.

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliments. I am never sure what my pies will look like after baking - slumping edges, uneven color, Berry ooze etc. so this time it looked so perfect I took a pic before baking😂. I used Bravetart’s pastry, very easy to work with.

10 Likes

That’s a stunning pie! What kind did you make??

1 Like

:astonished: :astonished:That looks as good as it does baked!

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Here’s me so far.

Spatchcocked dry brined turkey breast, collards braised in coconut milk, and pigeon peas in sofito for peas and rice.

!

1606421720993268777453607419169|700x525

12 Likes

Everything is going pretty smoothly here (knock on wood). T

9 Likes