Thanksgiving 2020

Gosh, it seems like a lot of us are in the same boat. I’m sorry that your family is just not being as careful as they should be. I firmly believe that for those of us who are anticipating staying away from loved ones are grieving the loss of contact which is heightened by the holiday. I’m sorry it’s turning out like this for you, Saregama.

3 Likes

Thanks @heidicooksandbakes - maybe I made it sound worse than it is…

I wasn’t expecting to attend my usual family thanksgiving in person even if I was back in nyc, because it would entail getting on Amtrak, which I’m not planning to do for a while - both for myself, and for the risk it would generate for those at the other end. So I’ve known for a while that it would be a non-thanksgiving.

I’m just surprised at the risk appetite of folks I think I know intimately, and their willingness to convince themselves otherwise, just so that they can have the usual gathering rather than an actually safe (but less enjoyable / normal) option of something smaller with a remote component.

But this is the new normal. It’s just frustrating when it’s people you love.

3 Likes

Amen to that.

I had hoped to have Thanksgiving with dear friends who have been as isolated as I have been. But case counts are going up in their area and we decided against it. So I am going from sitting down with 48 last year to a solo celebration this year. I am sure there will be Zooming and that is sure better than nothing.

Food-wise I am wavering between a small turkey breast from a nearby farm and a duck breast.

4 Likes

I’m very sorry you have to deal with poorly behaved family. You can be deservedly proud of being responsible.

I’d very much like to hear more about the stuffing balls. That concept is new to me.

2 Likes

Two or five at my turkey table this year. Four don’t care a whit about turkey. I am going to stock up on Ingredients that go in the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Fresh Potatoes , onions, squash and cranberries last. Veggies can be frozen or bought that way. Pies can be made and frozen. Don’t know about gravy yet. Stuffing is not an issue.
But, because it’s Thanksgiving, some form of turkey has to make an appearance. May order a smoked, boneless breast to have on hand. Actually, I’d be happy with lobster newburg on a patty shell for Thanksgiving. I’m sure they had lobster at the first one.
No Macy’s parade. No high school football games. No Black Friday. Probably less traffic.
I’m grateful for this group. Nice folks with whom I’d be happy to sit down at Thanksgiving.

6 Likes

I can certainly agree with you there.

Someone ahem will have to run the math to determine the geographic center of gravity of the regulars here and propose a gathering near a major airport and interstate highway. BYOB (bring your own burner). Bragging rights for longest journey, furthest journey, contribution eaten fastest. Contests of fastest to make an olive bunny or a tomato rose, best deviled egg, … I see, HO admin willing, an array of new (temporary) icons.

We’ll just have to remember when it is safe to engage in such activity again.

3 Likes

Are you back from the Caribbean?

I always make pickled eggs and beets to put on my eggplate for Thanksgiving, and last year decided to make deviled eggs with my red beet pickled eggs. They were delicious! I might win that contest…

2 Likes

Second that, @Saregama!

1 Like

Leaving Annapolis on Sun 1 Nov early hours local.

Here in central NJ, my supermarket has plenty of canned pumpkin.

I’d love to hear where you’ve been!

Well, this was the weekend to cook and have a parking lot meet up with my family to exchange food. I made my grandmother’s dressing and noodles. Portioned everything out and packed it up.

!

And here’s the trunk packed after the swap. There’s a pie in the box, two apps, mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey, and brussel sprouts. Everything was divided up for my other in-laws, and frozen until Thursday.

15 Likes

Thanksgiving at the friends’s house… I will make:

Roasted turkey thigh, seasoning to be decided (but Backbays Jack Daniel’s brine is giving me thought here )
Cranberry stuffed delicata squash
Mashed sweet potatoes with butter and cheese. always had good luck with this recipe.

2 Likes

It’s official . . .Thanksgiving will just be mom and me (91 and 50+). The sis and BIL who usually host T’giving are still having their meal with their oldest daughter, her hubby and their three kids. Unfortunately the youngest (my great-niece) tested positive and I’m not willing to take the risk.

We did shop like Thanksgivings of years past: a whole turkey (though small), stuffing, green beans, corn, sweet potatoes, the makings for potatoes au gratin, salad makings. I’m sure I am forgetting other things, but I see a lot of leftovers in my future. Oh, and picking up dessert from a local restaurant on Wednesday after mom has hair done for the holiday.

We decorated for the season and will eat in the “formal” dining room with our Autumn tablecloth and napkins, use our corn-shaped salt and pepper shakers, light our autumnal candles, visit family virtually and just try to make it as celebratory as possible.

6 Likes

Wow, that looks like a delicious haul. And a great way to celebrate and remember each other. So much deliciousness in the trunk!

2 Likes

In reference to my depressing post very early in this thread, by some stroke of fate, we are all off on Thanksgiving. I did not request it, but I am normally off Thursdays so I guess that’s how it happened.

Mood and mindset certainly has not changed since that post, but this is what is going on: my BF is going to be visiting his family. My mom and I were invited, of course, but we are going to stay home and have a low-key Thanksgiving for just the two of us (low-key not in reference to food, because if you look at our fridge, it looks like we are feeding an army). Totally unrelated to COVID, we just do not feel like being out and about and doing a big thing this year. I’m not sure I’ll ever be in the mood for a big Christmas/Thanksgiving ever again anyway.

I’m actually totally satisfied with how this looks like its turning out. My BF gets to see his family, and I get to have a no-frills dinner at home with mom. I need to be up at 5 am the next day for work, so an early night it will be.

The fridge is stocked and ready for prep, which is about to begin later today and tomorrow.

11 Likes

6 Likes

Good god, I hope you aren’t in retail!!!

I’m glad that you have Thanksgiving plans that you are comfortable with. We are doing a very small thing with my mom and my brother. Tossing several of the old traditions out the window and instead leaving the favorites.

2 Likes

And I just brought out a bottle of Prosecco from the cellar closet and received a delivery of small-batch local vodka today. Both will be mixed with cranberry juice and garnished with frozen fresh cranberries. The upside of staying at home–no driving, so I can drink more than my customary one glass of wine :grin:

11 Likes

I remember hosting a Thanksgiving dinner when an unexpected snowstorm caused half the guests to cancel that morning. Those who did manage to arrive talked with my family and we agreed I’d serve only the dishes we liked and none of the must have’s we didn’t care for anyway. No pumpkin pie, only apple kind of thing. While the turkey roasted, we all went out and played in the snow. Great fun.
After last year’s turkey feast, I swore we’d go out for dinner this time around. Not happening but neither will there be a crowd around the dining table. Just two of us. We will have a brined turkey breast and just the side dishes we like. Oh, and apple pie.

9 Likes