Surprise Frozen Fries

I went through a bag of the straight cut fries purchased at my local Safeway and echo that they are very good, definitely a step above Ore-Ida. Not quite as good as freshly made but more convenient for sure.

1 Like

Another winner from McCain… just tried these last night and was very pleased.

First thing I noticed - placing them on the baking sheet - were green specks??? Yes… they’re seasoned (parsley, onion, garlic, and more). Way different than any other frozen hash brown I’ve had, and very tasty (no ketchup or anything else needed - except a light pinch of kosher salt before going into the toaster oven).

One note: lightly oil the sheet/foil or they WILL stick due to fluffy texture.

7 Likes

I’ve had those. They taste good. Kroger has some hash browns (Kroger Seasoned Hash Brown Shredded Potato Patties) that are thin like the Baby Cakes and are seasoned pretty well. I also like those, even though the Kroger branded ones are pretty greasy. Another McCain product I’ve had fairly recently are the Craft Beer Battered Fries. I didn’t expect to like them, but they’re actually some of my favorite frozen fries. The beer flavor is subtle, and the batter is, too. A McCain miss for me are the Smiles. Didn’t like those at all.

1 Like

Tried them last night and didn’t like them as much as my standard, L&W.

I’ve been munching on the McCain brand since the creation of this thread. Thank you, thank you.

I tried Walmart brand hash brown patties a couple months ago. Had one and threw the rest out. Too greasy!

1 Like

The Baby Cakes look great, but (like many of the McCain products) are unavailable in our area. I do like the regular McCain fries though.

Finally got the McCain onion rings…

Safeway has always listed them as “in stock”, but this is the first order (among many) where I actually received them. I’ve heated these two ways so far and am not impressed. Granted I have never been impressed by any frozen onion rings, but given how good their fries are, my hopes were high.

Not recommended… so make your own. (c;

3 Likes

Missing @respectively declined.

1 Like

You can always visit his user page and reread his activity for a trip down memory lane.

4 Likes

I’ve had them a few times and still think they’re the best of the frozen onion rings. My advice for anyone who decides to try them is to not brown them much. They become bitter if overcooked, I suppose because of the beer in the batter.

My favorite frozen onion rings were the breaded Ore-Ida ones, which seem to have been discontinued. I can’t find them in the Boston area anymore nor on Amazon. The Happy Belly ones from Amazon Fresh have been a reasonable replacement these days. I’m not keen on battered onion rings, personally. Even homemade.

McCain works to “save french fries from the climate crisis”, using targetted fertilization and pest control, and soil-enriching techniques.

1 Like

My last Safeway order subbed the McCain straight cut with the crinkle cut. Now I would rarely choose crinkles over regular fries… but you wanna know where these excel over them? CHILI FRIES!

I cook them same way as the straight cut and they come out great… fries, topped with chili, a drizzle of mustard, chopped onions, grated cheddar, surrounded by a ring of sour cream (love those Daisy squeeze packs). Yum!

The groves not only hold/pick up more ingredients, the ridges help them stay more crispy.

6 Likes

I like crinkle fries. I think fast food (and other) restaurants are more likely to get the cooking of them wrong than with other types of fries–in my experience they’re usually undercooked. McCain Quick Cook Crinkles are good. Those and Kroger Extra Crispy Crinkles and Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Crinkles are my favorites. Others either get either the depth of the crinkle wrong, the thickness of the fry wrong, and/or don’t get the crisping agent right.

Ah yes, Texas Poutine.

3 Likes

They finally got these at my market in Florida!!!