Surprise Frozen Fries

Man this is a Masters Class in frozen French fries. I didn’t realize how little I knew!

7 Likes

(c;

McCain products showed up in my local Safeway recently. I’ve had the Quick Cook Straight Cut fries. They’re good, definitely in my top tier of frozen fries. I tend to favor fries that have a starchy coating (but not too much of that) to aid crisping and have a fair amount of oil. Those seem to do best in my air fryer. The McCain fries cooked very well.

I bought the crinkle cut version of McCain Quick Cook fries too but haven’t tried those yet. And I bought McCain Craft Beer Battered Onion Rings, also untried. I’d really like to find a great frozen onion ring.

1 Like

I’m partial to Lamb Wesson fries. Might hafta try the McCain’s when I’m back stateside (or sooner, if I can find them in Germany).

1 Like

Thank you for this thread. I’ve not heard of McCain’s fries and will give them a try. I make my own, I know it’s a cliche, but I do but I can’t seem to get them to turn out well.

Do you use the cold start method? Works like a charm each time for me.

Could you please explain it? I will give it a try.

3 Likes

Lemmeno how those work out. Safeway says they carry them but they have been out of stock each time I have ordered.

Never tried the crinkle cut, but they once sub’d the waffle fries on me and they were pretty good too.

Not to post off topic but want to say thank you much. Will try it.

2 Likes

I had some McCain fries delivered this morning and tried them and @linguafood’s method. I found both to be outstanding. Flavor wise I give the edge to the home made. Thanks everyone!

McCain frozen

Home made using @linguafood method. (I only soaked them about five minutes and dried them off.)

9 Likes

I had the McCain onion rings. They’re pretty good. I’d rate them slightly better than Nathan’s onion rings which were my favorite. It’s been a while since I’ve had Nathan’s, but McCain’s seem more oniony. The batter on McCain’s is thinner which I prefer. I overcooked them a bit, so they may be a little better than my first impression of them. I’m looking forward to having them again when I get the timing right.

1 Like

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this. Since I got my air fryer a few months ago I’ve tried over thirty varieties of frozen fries, about a dozen frozen tater tots, and eight frozen onion rings. Here are the ones I’ve liked best.

Grown in Idaho Hand Cut Fries
McCain Quick Cook Straight Cut French Fried Potatoes
Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries
Alexia Yukon Select Fries

McCain Quick Cook Crinkle Cut French Fried Potatoes
Kroger Extra Crispy Crinkle Cut Fries
Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Crinkles

Checkers/Rally’s Famous Seasoned Fries
Market Pantry Shoestring Seasoned Fries (Target store brand)

Alexia Yukon Select Puffs
Great Value Taters (Walmart store brand tater tots)

McCain Craft Beer Battered Onion Rings
Nathan’s Thick Sliced Battered Onion Rings
Alexia Onion Rings

7 Likes

Tried the McCain Quick Cook Crinkle Cut French Fried Potatoes tonight. Not bad for a frozen fry.

The directions say “don’t thaw” and “spread in a single layer”. What to do when there is a largish clump of fries stuck together in the bag?

Sadly, they don’t sell McCains here in Palm Coast.

The clumps separate simply but that must not be what you are describing because that’s obvious. Perhaps the bag of fries you bought was allowed to thaw a bit then refrozen into a fryberg. Maybe check the bag more carefully at the points of sale.

Thank you so much for this! With a young kid we make more fried potato than usual :blush:

1 Like

Same but with Tabasco.

not in my area either. Fortunately I like the L&W fries–though not as fast as the “5 minute fries”.

To answer my own question: bang the bag mightily on the counter. That’s what to do.

7 Likes