Super Bowl Eats

I did Mahogany Chicken Wings, Broccoli-Cashew Salad, and an orzo salad with green beans, corn, red bell pepper, red onion, and cotija cheese with a lemon-honey vinaigrette.

Definitely non-location centric.

7 Likes

I donā€™t care for halftime so I was getting baked in the kitchen. Somewhere later in the game I got hungry again and dug out a year old Jiffy Pop weā€™d bought on a lark.

After carefully reading the instructions I cooked itā€¦to perfection with maybe a dozen un popped. Itā€™s better than microwave. Our go to is Orville that the Wifeacita does to perfection on the stove.

1 Like

I did my fair share but if I did it now my head would implode. I recently retired and after 23 years of testing looming over my head I can sample todayā€™s herb and it sure is good but I will not drive a car.

I remember Super Bowl IV Chiefs v Vikings. The Vikings were supposed to win back the honor of the NFL after the AFL upstart Jets ripped it from the heavily favored Colts in SB III.

The Chiefs yesterday reminded me of the old club with lots of mis -direction and end arounds like Len Dawson and Otis Taylor did. A total beatdown.

1 Like

Otis!
My man!

1 Like

So funny you mentioned popcorn @jcostiones! I remember those jiffy pop containers and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

H was on a week long ski vacation last week and I was home alone. Iā€™ve been sick, and unable to eat much, but had this strange craving for popcorn. Iā€™d bought some special popcorn, propagated for tenderness and lack of hulls. So I made some the old fashioned way, but I put too many kernels in the pan, and I burnt the crap out of the bottom layer or so. Despite shaking the pan. H came home and saw it on the stove. He asked me if Iā€™d had the urge to burn a bunch of popcorn :scream_cat: the pan is still soakingā€¦

3 Likes

Those frozen mini pizza bagels and TGIF appys my son just loves during super bowl. Guac and chips. Ice cream sandwiches. A mostly processed food glut for the gang.

2 Likes

Those were dead simple as I recall. There is hardly anything to break that canā€™t be fixed.

Itā€™s the woven cord that shorted out. Could you fix it with electrical tape or replace the cord? I have a strange attachment to it.

Thatā€™s trivial. Replace the cord. It would be unwise to repair the cord (which would be best with heat shrink crimps and a heat shrink cover, not electrical tape) since given an insulation failure there are surely more to come. Turn the fryer upside down and remove the cover plate that provides access to the cord. There are probably screws or bolts that hold the wire in place. You can get replacement cords at hardware stores. I recommend crimp-on ring terminals rather than just wrapping the wire around screws or bolts. If the existing wire is riveted in place (unlikely) get back to me and Iā€™ll walk you through the repair.

3 Likes

Well thanks @Auspicious!

Youā€™re welcome.

It occurs to me that you probably have an old two-prong plug on your existing cord. If the replacement cord is three prong itā€™s important to connect the wires correctly - just send me a picture dave@auspiciousworks.com of the inside of the bottom of the fryer where the wires go and Iā€™ll tell you how to hook it up.

Ok, will do, and thanks again, may be a few days before I get to a hardware store.

Time to resurrect this but with different teams. So are you picking burnt ends or cheesesteaks, or are you forsaking allegiance to either city or team and going some very different direction? We usually default to nachos and beer, but I do love cheesesteaks, and the weather will be perfect for barbecuing. My only firm requirements are that it must be something decadent enough that I rarely have it, and that it be easy enough to prepare that I can handle it during the half time show.

5 Likes

@Vecchiouomo No allegiance to either team, and I made my choice of SB eats without thinking of traditional foods for either location. Country-style pork ribs will be the main, with sides Iā€™m still debating.

5 Likes

We are doing a big paella on the grill outside. Iā€™ll be on beer drinking duty and someone else cracking the crabs for this ! So maybe not super traditional ā€¦ I donā€™t like either team ā€¦ but there will also be chili dogs !

Have fun !

4 Likes

After considering cheesesteaks and KC-style ribs, weā€™re doing clam chowder and flaky biscuits.

3 Likes

A pescatarian friend is hosting & serving taco salad, soā€¦ not really a KS or PA thing.

2 Likes

Cheesesteaks here. Maybe a caramelized onion dip with potato chips, a few cruditƩs. Provisioned up yesterday, provolone going on the sandwiches.

4 Likes

I was gonna make crabby snacks and homemades a la Silver Linings Playbook, but then I looked at the recipes andā€¦no. So weā€™re having bbq tofu, guac and chips, hummus and crudite, shrimp cocktail and like that.

5 Likes

I am feeling inspired. Now I am thinking ribs and coleslaw. Since both QBs are Texans, I choose Texas style.

3 Likes