Summer 2021 (July-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

Summer is well and truly here, and it’s time for a new Cuisine of the Quarter! What is your favorite cuisine to beat the heat? Post your nominations in ALL CAPS below. I’ll leave nominations open until Sunday, July 4. Thanks, HOs!

I’ll get the ball rolling with a nomination of my own: BARBECUE. This would encompass the multitude of regional styles in America as well as global traditions.

3 Likes

How about KOREAN BARBECUE?

1 Like

It’s a great theme, also something everybody can relate. Each cuisine has some type of barbecue dishes.

Also been busy, so I really need a break. YES BBQ!

1 Like

Nothing says summer like AMERICAN food.

1 Like

Are we defining barbecue? For some of us it’s simply “grilling”. For others, a long roast submerged in sauce. Others, a myriad ways of cooking meat. Except when the main ingredients are vegetables….

1 Like

Adding the link for past Cuisines

Middle American was nominated and won a few summers ago.

Might help to narrow American - American BBQ? Northeast (I’m thinking lobster rolls and clam strips and the like)? Something else?

Yes, I would define barbecue (especially if we are focusing on American BBQ) as smoked, low-n-slow meat. Grilling is something else entirely.

Perfect. Although I gave never cooked a piece of meat this way in my life.

2 Likes

I nominate BURMESE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like this nomination. Because of the pandemic . Not all foods are readily available. They might be good or look terrible. Price point might be a factor also . AMERICAN FOOD .

Definitely Regional Spanish - Mediterranean or Italian - Mediterranean: Paella Marinara (just shellfish), A “frittura” of the day´s Catch, Calamari Romana (breaded lightly and fried), Sepia (squid grilled ) with ali oli; Adobe tope baby shark called “cazon” which is in Latin, “Galeorhinus Galeus” and of course tons of wonderful salads especially, fennel with blood oranges and rocket (arugula) and radicchio … For a bit of Japanese, nigriri, eel, squid, wild salmon & yellowfin tuna with Wasabe and eco Japanese teriyaki. AND a wonderful mozzarella di bufala, fresh basil and fresh eco tomato pizza … Some fresh fruit and incorporating a wide variety of traditional eco green veggies which can be eaten wonderfully cold.
Salads: traditional Niçoise with Ventresca, albacore wild tuna is another fave lunch and Insalata di Mozzarella di Bufala, tomato & fresh basil called a Caprese. The only salad dressing we use is Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Aged in oak, Balsamic Vinegar from Modena or Vinagre de Jérez de La Frontera.

That is about it … Light … and low cal on most part …

NOMINATIONS: Greek, Moroccan or Lebanese or Italian or Spanish …

1 Like

I actually just checked the master list myself, and it looks like we focused on picnic/cookout/BBQ foods last summer. I have ZERO memory of this - we were obviously in the thick of things pandemic-wise, so no wonder it’s all a blur!

1 Like

Moroccan, Lebanese and Spanish have all been covered previously.

1 Like

Or perhaps MARITIME: that would include fried clam strips, lobster rolls, fish& chips, Newfie fries, butterscotch pie, blueberry pie, blueberry grunt, chowder, chowder fries. From Boston to Newfoundland, including the Gaspé, New England, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

2 Likes

I like that, and more inclusive too!

2 Likes

Given pandemic amnesia, perhaps we could renominate them individually?

I’d certainly love PICNIC as a category!

2 Likes

Oysters off the rocks …

1 Like

Then, Italian or Greek …