What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

@ernie_in_berkeley, just boiled potatoes, salted and boiled til soft, into the vitamix with olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and salt to taste, whirred up. Turned out great & it’s been awhile since having/making some. But the new garlic crop beckoned.

2 Likes

Beautiful pics and nice ride @Respectfully_Declin! Brings back great memories of trips to the coast - friends in SF, Montara, Aptos, Capitola, Santa Cruz
but everyone moved on eventually. Enchanting part of the world nonetheless, and I miss it. Should put this in the nostalgia thread wah 🥲!

2 Likes

Oh my, how delicious. Everything.

Thanks @ChristinaM!

I feel like i haven’t cooked in weeks! and tonight was the BF’s turn - Italian sausage ragu with rigatoni and a salad. Ragu wasn’t his best - he didn’t like it either - but it wasn’t at all bad… just not his usual. salad was very good. and i didn’t have to cook, so I’m happy.

14 Likes

Nominations for Summer 2021 Cuisine of the Quarter are live! Summer 2021 (July-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

Patty melt, potato salad made with red potatoes from the garden. A Michalada.

15 Likes

One of the few points of contention with my wife is who gets to cook. grin

Made Chicken Tikka Masala tonight and we felt like having Bhel Puri to go with it. Well, I had the Bhel mix but none of the red sauce that gets mixed in-- have not been to the Indian market in a while. On a whim, I mixed in Chinese chili garlic sauce and ketchup (yes, ketchup) along with raw onion and cilantro into the Bhel. The result was shockingly similar to what it normally tastes like. It’s amazing!

And here’s the main course. No Patak’s simmer sauce tonight. This is the real deal.

To drink: several gin and tonics.

16 Likes

Slowly getting back into my groove.

Missing-my-parents dinner tonight - a riff on one of my mom’s specialties. The original is spice-stuffed whole baby pomfret.

My approximation was pompano done with a similarly flavored spice paste, but using what I had at hand - harissa, tomato paste, spices. Pan-fried (which I may not do again when there’s a heat wave and all my windows and doors are closed to keep in air conditioning…).

I used my old school pressure cooker containers (separators) in my new school IP to make dal and rice. Tempered the dal simply with cumin and garlic.

Brussels sprouts leftover from the other day, roasted in the toaster oven.

Very satisfying and tasted of home.

16 Likes

I love bhel puri. I had for the first time at Haldi Chowk, in Middletown. Now it is my go-to order when trying new Indian restaurants. We make it often. The Sprout makes an especially good version. I’ll keep your recipe for the sauce in mind as we often have a mismatch between sauce and crunchy stuff.

1 Like

Requires a “very high quality” Evoo of choice.

I would suggest a teaspoon to try it out first ! Not everybody cares for it …

1 Like

There’s still room for a boarder here :laughing:

1 Like

Bhel is dressed with 3 chutneys - green (cilantro - medium spicy), red (chilli garlic - spicy), and maroon/brown (tamarind & date - sweet & sour).

Even my mom even will use chinese chili-garlic sauce for the red in a pinch :joy: I often use TJ’s zhoug in lieu of green chutney. Now ketchup… I did use tomato paste and vinegar to sub for tamarind yesterday, so I can see it!

Next time you’re at the Indian store, there are bhel “kits” that come will all the components, which is handy if that’s your only use for the individual chutneys. (I don’t use them because I can’t deal with all the random additions to the dry mix - OG bombay bhel only has puffed rice, sev, and puris.)

5 Likes

I’m honored, but you wouldn’t want me. I play my music too loud.

2 Likes

I don’t take up much room and I cook and clean. High-speed Internet is a must.

1 Like

It just arrived and must say I am quite impressed with the shipping and products.

I am holstering my frying pan with the sunny side up egg as I am sure it will be tasty. Thanks. :blush:

13 Likes

That’s the one! I usually buy two or three jars at a time.

The Chinese chili garlic and ketchup combo lacked the sour, but the sweet notes were there and it was overall spot on.

1 Like

Point Reyes CA is also the home of a National Weather Service and United States Coast Guard joint facility that transmits weather fax to mariners for the Pacific. These charts https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/P_brief.php and more are provided as a service that keep us safe and commercial goods moving between major ports around the Pacific Rim. Professional mariners all know where Pt Reyes is.

2 Likes

Sure. Pt Reyes Lighthouse falls under the USCG. Also, Coast Guard Station Golden Gate is a few miles to the south and Coast Guard Station Bodega Bay is just to north across Tomales Bay.

I have charts from San Francisco Bay to Point Arena. The only one hanging in my office is this one.

1 Like