Croatian Lobsta Pasta

5 Likes

Ukrainian pasta bake

2 Likes

https://polishhousewife.com/chrusciki-chrusty-faworki-angel-wings/

6 Likes

Great article, thanks.

1 Like

My Croatian mother-in-law spoke often of the “bacon dumplings” her mother made but never passed on the recipe. Today, Google provides a handful of variations, poached and fried. I guessed on this one that sounded like her description. Have no idea if this is close to the family recipe, but it was delicious in a vegetable soup: vegetable broth, onion, potato, carrot, rutabega.
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 5.56.53 PM

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 5.57.08 PM

7 Likes

Much like noodle kugel, minus the bacon. In Austria and Germany this is called Schinken-Käse-Nudel Auflauf.

2 Likes

these Bulgarian sweet macaroni dishes are a little like a sweet noodle kugel:

Bulgarian sweet macaroni (no cheese)

1 Like

I made a vegetarian red cabbage and beet borscht tonight, using up the last veg from my garden (beet greens, string beans, Swiss chard) as well as some pickled beets.
I don’t really use a recipe, this is close to what I usually make.

Also made sweet and sour red cabbage, with onion, cranraspberry juice, pear, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, vinegar and sugar, adding a little cornstarch at the end.

6 Likes

This borscht calls for dill, cumin, coriander and nigella seeds.

Ate this Stuffed Cabbage & polenta dish at a wine estate in The Cartighenian Mountain Pass between Brasov and Transylvania, Romania. Was wonderful.

2 Likes

Stuffed cabbage and polenta is a combination I hadn’t thought of. My grandmother always served mashed potatoes with stuffed cabbage. It’s interesting to learn about different versions of traditional dishes!

3 Likes

I’ve never seen battered cabbage rolls.
Is that what I’m seeing?

I think the leaf just looks yellow.

Here’s a recipe for sarmale with mamaliga

3 Likes

Romania has a “true polenta” culture, like many parts of Italy.

An overlooked country !! Truly a jewel gastronomically & enologically and a “Castle Route” that is totally breathtakingly amazing.

Have a lovely afternoon.

1 Like

The idea of deep fried cabbage rolls actually sounds pretty tasty to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Barca, yes, I have a Romanian uncle and 5 half Romanian cousins. They love mamaliga (Romanian polenta)

Transylvania is known for its delicious food.

I like mititei /cevapi. https://www.thebossykitchen.com/mititei-romanian-grilled-sausages-recipe/

1 Like

Interesting …

5 Likes