Sharpening A Japanese Knife

Is ChefBoyardee same as CowBoyardee? :smile:
We have a knife expert (here and on Chowhound) goes by the name of CowBoyardee. If you are CowBoyardee then you really know everything we were about to say.
Anyway, to your question, you can do it, but I won’t recommend. Many Western-Japanese knives (inexpensive or not) are sharpened to a shallower angle: 15o each side. Gyutou is a Western-Japanese style knife. While many of these V sharpeners have an angle of 20o each side. These so called V sharpeners are very effective, but also a bit overly aggressive.

1 Like

Hi Curt,

For the knife you describe, the v will work–sort of.

All but the very cheapest v- pull through will cost more than your knife, but it will work for touch-ups. Sur La Table, and Williams-Sonoma will sharpen your knife for free when touch-ups aren’t enough–or you can pay about $6 to a pro, once a year.

Ray

Thank you for your help mq7070!

Nope, not the same as Cowboyardee… I just saw his user name a few days ago.

Thank you for the link you provided, very cool.

Awesome, thank you! I was just in Sur La Table and saw their knife sharpening service. Prolly go that route for now.

Hope it’s okay to hitch a ride!
I believe I read that thread when I got a new knife. I had Chefs Choice electric sharpener, but got this whetstone, used it once, bent the tip of one; no TWO knives, and have been scared to try again.

I don’t remember if it’s got a western edge or Japanese.

I have another, from a friend who visited Japan, and I don’t know what kind of edge IT has either.

Thinking of taking it to a “pro” that set up in a nearby hardware store, but what if he doesn’t know what HE’S doing? I could send some back to William Sonoma , but I can’t seem to figure out the logistics. It seems silly to be so afraid of making a mistake that I do nothing!

1 Like

Yup, of course it’s okay:)
I went back to Sur La Table today with two knives. The guy was actually very knowledgeable. He said my new Japanese knife didn’t need to be sharpened, but he worked it on a honing rod for a while.
My other cheap Zyliss chef’s knife he did sharpen and now it is exceedingly sharp! Didn’t charge me anything either. Pretty great experience.

1 Like

That’s good feedback! Thanks. Unfortunately I live sort of far from Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma.

The first one looks like a KAI Shun knife. I don’t recognize the second one. I do think they both have this 15-16o edge angle on both side.

2 Likes

Beautiful

Thanks. But I’m doing nothing because I’m afraid of destroying them!

Well, you can make the knives worse, but it will be pretty difficult to destroy knives – in general.

2 Likes

Knives! Feh.

Yes, I get what you meant earlier. You didn’t mean literally destroyed. I am just saying that… most of the time you can recover from a mistake. So don’t be shy – especially start with an inexpensive knife first.

3 Likes

Exactly what I needed to hear. Hoping I can fix these bent tips!

2 Likes

I don’t know about Japanese knifes but I was gifted a worx sharp sharpener and I can put a razor sharp edge on my ten kitchen work knifes in about ten minutes. I mean shave sharp. Has anyone worked with one of these? This is a single bevel sharpener per side.

2 Likes

Work Sharp?
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-W-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B07CVN8HV5

1 Like

Designed by Ken Onion. Great idea. I don’t have one, but others, like you, have given it rave reviews.

1 Like

Sorry yes work sharp my dumb. I just finished using my leaf blower made by worx.

Had my mind racing as well, looking at the date thinking I was in a time warp

1 Like