How often do you sharpen your knives?

I use my honing steels like you see Bob Kramer does it.
This man knows something about knives.

Using it like Gordon Ramsay only leads to scratched knives and poor honing.
He may have 40+ years experience, but ask ANY knife sharpener and he/she will agree that the way you see Ramsay doing it in his videos is inefficient and more for show.

1 Like

Not me. I dilligently read every knife sharpening thread, but remain paralyzed with fear after bending a knife tip the first time I tried to use a whetstone.

It’s helping though.

Hi shrinkrap,

As I think I reminded Vecchioumo, Alton Brown’s training video was specific to the Shun Classic series of kitchen knives, and the hard Rockwell 61 steel blades encased in damascus–for the home cook.

If you owned such knives and followed Alton’s protocol, you would never have needed to use a Whetstone. Given our home cook levels of usage–Mies van der rohe is probably our best guide: less is more.

Ray

1 Like

This is silly. Of course this knife would eventually need a sharpening on a belt or stone.

bending a knife tip the first time I tried to use a whetstone.

Hi shrinkwrap,

Wow ! That’s not common ! Either you’re a member of the Avengers with superhuman strength posting anonymously here on hungryonion or the knife was a real piece of crap ! This should never happen with any reasonably decent blade as long as you don’t use it as a screwdriver !

P.S.: Shall we call you Bruce ?

2 Likes

Double wow ! I’m impressed ! Those are not crappy knives ! Please do tell us which of the Avengers you are !

More seriously, you must have applied a hell of a lot of pressure there !

Did you since manage to repair the two knives tips ? I infer from one of your later post in this other long and interesting thread (sorry, I don’t know how to quote a post from another thread) that you’ve mastered your fear of the whetstone (‘I sharpened about seven of my knives, and I’m whipping up some pickled Fresno’s!’)

Did I? Hmmm. I must have had a relapse.
Also, I’m more of a D.C. comics fan, but way before there were movies.

2 Likes

Bruce Wayne is D.C. comics. Avengers are Marvel comics. Sorry, like @shrinkrap, also a fan of the old comics, and had to say something about it. Carry on, please, don’t mind me.

1 Like

LOL
And a Roy Lichtenstein fan to boost !

1 Like

I am sure Gordon’s method is ok too. I personally do not have the best assessment of angle, so holding it like Bob Kramer will really help me. Moreover, it is safer over all. The worse you can do is to slip and hit the cutting board.

2 Likes

Also a fan of the old comics, way better than the movies. I rather enjoyed the last Batman movie though, the one with Robert Pattinson and Zoë Kravitz.
I meant Bruce Banner/the Hulk, the strongest of the Avengers ! (or is it Thor ?)

1 Like

Zoë Kravitz is hella . She looks sooo much like her mom. Talk about having cool parents. I was just reading an article about that.

(post deleted by author)

Ok, you win. Shame on me for assuming Wayne. I always think of Hulk as Dr. Banner but that is no excuse. 80s me must be really upset.

P.S. Not a fan of live action superheroes, either. Or even modern comics, no fun, too much trying to solve the world’s problems.

1 Like

Lisa Bonet in Angel Heart…

I am officially off topic!

I was thinking The Cosby Show and A Different World ( I went to Howard University ), but okay. Maybe.

OMG; I’m linking Fox News!

CNN for balance

1 Like

I should stop now, because I’m going into territory where I’m not supposed to be allowed to go into.

But I had doubters and haters of me on Chowhound and I’ll surely have it on hungryonion too (I know I have a dozen or more already by now….)

But I’ll stand by my word.

I’m just an amateur home chef. But a dedicated one.

But here I go again rambling about a person who’s a multi Michelin star chef, a YouTube sensation with millions of subscribers and and a world famous chef and, especially in the US, a well respected chef.

Here I go……let the thumbs down begin on my profile.

I think he’s a legit A-hole, an overrated self proclaimed Star chef, that really should learn proper manners to start with.

Seeing this rambling moronic chef honing his Wüsthof sponsored knives being honed at angles impossible to sustain stable even for a chef with 40+ years of experience trying to teach us novices how to properly hone a knife just makes me sad.

Knife enthusiasts, pro knife sharpeners - please chime in, am I right or am I right ?!?

There I said it. Sorry.
Feel free to hate me.

1 Like

I don’t think they ( Hungry Onioin) have that. If you want to hate on something you’re on your own.

1 Like

No, call him Yuri.