Knives repaired

Lots of pictures; hopefully not too many words… :wink:

Did a little work on HO member @shrinkrap’s two nice Shun Premier knives. Both had tips in need of repair, with the 8" Chef’s knife having a bent tip and the 4" paring knife having a broken tip.

The goal was to restore the knives’ profiles to as close to original as possible, while retaining as much blade length as possible. I was able to straighten the Chef’s tip somewhat, but was concerned about fatiguing the metal too much. But I was able to preserve a bit more length by doing that first (as opposed to simply taking off all of the bent section). The paring knife also had a slight bend to it, and I was able to return it to straight without losing additional repaired length. Repair included restoring the edges on both knives.

I’m happy to answer anyone’s questions. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Hopefully the pics show up Chef’s knife first and paring knife second)

10 Likes

Good job!

3 Likes

A pleasure doing business with you! I’ve been using them with a new perspective.

4 Likes

I wish I had known of you decades ago when my single person, as opposed to twins, made in Brazil, carbon steel Henckels 8" chef’s knife with beautiful wood handle had its tip accident. I have never come across another like it, but it was by far the best Henckels knife I ever used. Sadly I let it go.

1 Like

I really like that bolster.

1 Like

Pretty cool that one of the best chef’s knives I ever used came from Brazil in their lower dollar line!

Wow. You really took very little off the tip. Great job. (this is really nice to expensive knives or knives with senitmental value)

2 Likes

Very cool to see the before and after. Nice work!

How long did each knife take?

1 Like

Impressed, and good job.

1 Like

How so?

Yeah, these two knives would cost more than $300 to replace with new ones. Since they’re higher quality knives that are made using better steel, their profiles can be reworked and their edges restored to better-than-factory sharpness at a fraction of the cost of new ones.

I wasn’t paying real close attention to the time, but it was probably about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for the pair. The Chef’s knife took more than half of that time, what with me trying to coax the tip back into alignment and then it needing more re-profiling work.

1 Like

You’re lucky that tip didn’t snap off. Care to share what you were prying on? IME, frozen food is the #1 offender.

@Eiron , I think what I meant when I wrote that was aI now think more about why I grab the knives that I do, and about how I use them.

I almost always think of the Wusthof Trident first for chopping, and I think it’s because I am most comfortable with the shape of that blade, the weight of the knife, and how the handle feels. I might have few other knives if my husband didn’t buy them for me. Or his friend didn’t bring me the one from Japan when he traveled, which I greatly appreciate!

Going without my parer led me to explore alternatives, and I find I appreciate the heft of knives, even when eating steak!

@kaleokahu I bent the chef knife tip sharpening it.

With regard to the snapped tip on the paring knife, I can say with certainty, “It wasn’t me” .

But really; it wasn’t!

1 Like