September–December 2022 Baking Cookbook of the Month: SNACKABLE BAKES

I did too and loved the method where you pinch the crumbs for the top. It gives that extra little texture.

1 Like

Finally made the apple pie bars: all granny smith, and made the crumb by hand. YUM!!!

12 Likes

MOLTEN DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

Like LLM, I doubled the recipe to make two mug cakes since DS was grumpy about the prospect of sharing. I didn’t love it. I was expecting something more like a molten chocolate cake, but it was a chocolate cake with occasional pockets of melted chocolate chips.

The other thing that bugged me was the sheer number of measuring spoons I used! Four… and that was with me fudging the sour cream measurement and estimating the salt. I know it’s a bit petty, but it seems like a simple recipe shouldn’t use so much hardware.

I prefer this mug brownie recipe, and will stick with this: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brownie_in_a_mug/

5 Likes

I tried again today, super alert, didn’t omit anything. Mixed by hand, used about 3.5 lbs Granny Smith for double recipe (instead of 3 lbs). This time I tried to economize by lining with heavy duty foil instead of parchment … never again, it glued to the pan.

Photo

5 Likes

BUTTER CRACKER TOFFEE BARK WITH TOASTED NUTS page 190
As Jessie would say Peeps make this. Jessie doesnt state what size baking sheet to use. Mine was 16x10 but one just a bit smaller would be great. Cover sheet with foil. Spread your ritz crackers. Cook your toffee. Spread it over cookies and bake till toffee is a bit darker. Sprinkle chocolate chip wait a few minutes to melt and spread it with spatula. Sprinkle nuts. Refrigerate. Break it a part. It makes a lot. These are so addictive. They are going in my cookie boxes for Christmas.

9 Likes

Seems a lot like what I learned as Christmas Crack. I make that whenever I need to take something to a potluck and everyone loves it. I use saltines. I’ll look at this recipe once home and see.

1 Like

This is crack for sure. Might be the same except for change in crackers.

1 Like

It’s also a popular Passover sweet, when made with matzo.

2 Likes

These scones are very quick to make. No butter involved just a cup of heavy cream. I sprinkled them with coarse sugar. They are good have a nice crumb and i will make them when in a hurry. But they will not replace my buttermilk scones, a recipe i got a long time ago from a friend. A similar buttermilk scone recipe is in Baking with Dorie.

6 Likes

I made the version with rhubarb a while back and really enjoyed them - looking forward to making them again, maybe with another tart fruit (maybe cranberries?)

1 Like

Those look very good.

Whoops, I lost track of things in December and never did anything about continuing/nominations for a new book. I can go ahead and do that if enough folks express interest, so let me know if you are via reply or like (but not both, please so there’s no doubling up).

6 Likes

Find the nomination thread here:

I made the Strawberries and Cream bars (thought of you, rstuart) and they’re SO good. Very sweet but absolutely delicious. And so easy. May have slightly overbaked, but we all love them.

4 Likes

Love those!

1 Like

Voting for the next book is afoot!

Please join us in baking and reporting from our next book!

2 Likes

Yippee! Just ordered a copy. Thanks for all the grunt work Caitlin.

Nomination time!