SCANDINAVIAN - Cuisine of the Quarter, Spring 2021 (Apr-June)

Possibly the time for a revival of the sugar mice of my childhood.

https://www.handycandy.co.uk/sugar-mice

I’d picture AMouse douche being a tiny mouse taking a shower

2 Likes

My first Scandinavian-ish dishes of the Quarter.
Gravlax from the grocery store for Easter brunch, already cured with dill, sold frozen.

Hasselback potatoes from my Easter dinner

Here is a recipe for gravlax, for reference, or a stepping stone

6 Likes
1 Like

I’ve often thought of Hasselbacks but have never had the patience to put it into practice. Did you do the cuts “free style” or have a “stop” (I’ve seen chopsticks recommended as a stop)?

1 Like

I do the cuts freestyle, stopping 7/8 of the way through. These are homegrown potatoes that are irregular. Sometimes I slice too far through, so we might have half Hasselbacks or a few slices of sliced potato. They take up less room in a pan than roasted, and use less oil than fried. I’ve been making fairly often lately, maybe once every 6 weeks in the past year. I also have seen Hasselback sweet potatoes and beets online, but I haven’t made them yet.

3 Likes

Freestyle, eh? I’m in awe of the skill involved.

2 Likes

I just go slowly. I only prepare 4 to 6 potatoes any given night. It doesn’t take me more than 2 minutes a potatoes.

I’m a former arts and crafts camp counsellor and I majored in Visual Arts, so, I might be craftier with a knife than some cooks. :rofl:

6 Likes

I have one of these wooden boards to help me make hasselbacks https://www.ratekitchen.com/products/scanwood-beechwood-swedish-hasselback-potato-cutting-board?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrKjy3t7n7wIVymJyCh2sQQWuEAQYBSABEgIOlvD_BwE

3 Likes

Hasselback potatoes are a regular starch for us. I use chopsticks as a stop. They reduce the prep time by half.

Beets are a brilliant idea. Stolen. Thank you.

2 Likes

I will try the Flygande Jakob, a chicken banana casserole, with peanuts and bacon at some point. Need to buy bananas!

If I was Dr. Lecter and read this with Elizabeth and Matt in mind, it would have a completely different punchline.
An American culture joke.

Love this show. Is it gone?

Did you just yuk someone’s yum?

I must say this is a much different crowd than the live and let live vibe on WFD.

1 Like

We had these homemade Smørrebrød (open-faced sandwich) at a Danish friend’s Christmas party a couple of years ago and I starting obsessing about them for a period of time. There’s about a million different versions and I’m looking forward to renewing my obsession.

Thin sliced, buttered rugbrød (dense, dark rye & grain bread), ham, mayo, sour cream, lemon, scallions, capers, peas, radish.

This little guy was in every room, because it ain’t Christmas in Scandinavia without a sighting of the mischievous, little Nisse.

9 Likes

That’s a funny expression but, yes, very possibly.

Nice.

I’m waiting for all those great Lutefisk recipes.

1 Like

I did a search on Create TV (PBS) and they do have scheduled episodes showing this week, so apparently it still is being shown.
You can look up your zip code and PBS station here to see when it is aired:
https://www.createtv.com/CreateTV.nsf/Home?ReadForm

1 Like