SAVORY EGG DISHES - Spring 2024 (Apr-Jun) Dish of the Quarter

Aaaaah - sorry I thought you made it!

I think the overly mayo-ey texture is what has kept me away from egg salad in the past. (Indian chicken salad sandwiches are also super-mayo-ed, with that pinch of sugar.)

Fan of kewpie! But I’ve still got a bit homemade garlic mayo I need to use up.

Love the soft bread for sandwiches. I may hold off till I go to Chinatown at the end of the week and can just buy the bread.

1 Like

Oh, sorry if my post was confusing. I did make the egg salad, but it wasn’t my recipe per se. I just followed several different online recipes and their suggestions for getting it as close to the Japanese egg salad as I remember. Egg salad in the states is usually boring (but I still prefer it over ho hum deli meat sandwiches). The bread makes a huge difference to me! It would never hold up to American sandwiches where they like to pile on the meat, but it’s a must for egg salad, PB&J of fluffernutter when I make them.

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree on the bread. Also a must for chicken salad, tuna, and sardine sandwiches in my case. And so much better for cheese sandwiches (also Indian chutney sandwiches, but no one here has probably ever eaten one of those :grinning:).

4 Likes

Ever since I read about making egg salad by grating the eggs, that’s what I do. I have a microplane box grater, use the small section.

Finely chopped green onion and tender celery, black pepper, mayo to bind. I never need to add salt.

2 Likes

I’d never heard of grated eggs, but this WaPo recipe looks good–grated eggs over steamed asparagus.

3 Likes

I have in Mumbai Green with Veggies also Cheese, Corn and Red Chutney on a short Kingfisher Air Hop.
Both were really good but the Cheese and Corn was great!

I lived in Japan for a total of close to 20 years and have eaten my share of Japanese egg salad sandwiches, but have never understood why everyone raves about them. Mind you, they’re not bad, but I personally don’t think they are, as they say “something to write home about”. I blame Anthony Bourdain.

Another type of “tamago” sandwich which is also popular but more of a Japanese coffee shop (“kissaten”) menu is this type which is a non-sweet version of the “tamago” served in Japanese sushi places. This type of “tamago” is called “atsuyaki” which means “grilled thick”. As it’s much more difficult to make than a regular egg salad sandwich, it’s what I would choose when eating out.

11 Likes

Menemen for dinner today:

4 Likes

I will make these soon https://www.sunset.com/recipe/fava-egg-salad-sandwiches

Äggakaka / Äggakaga / Swedish egg cake with bacon and lingonberries

2 Likes

Plain butter and green chutney is the bomb – try it when you have chutney and soft bread at hand!

4 Likes

This reminded me of a leek preparation I ate at a French restaurant in DC – poireaux vinaigrette, but they called it dijonnaise (@LulusMom1 maybe you have eaten this there too)

5 Likes

I’ll do that!

Egg bake - ingredients list highly modified from this Sally’s Baking Addiction recipe starting point

Mine gets divided between 2 8x8 pans that fit better into available refrigerator shelf spaces. I assemble and bake right away at 350 degrees for 45 minutes rather than refrigerate overnight, and after cooling I freeze squares of one of the baked casseroles for future meals.

Modified ingredients list:
1 pound Jimmy Dean ground sausage, browned
• bell peppers, diced (any color you prefer; about 1 cup)
• about 1 C. chopped onion
• 1 8 oz. can cooked sliced mushrooms (or fresh, sliced)
• 9 oz of frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, or 3 C fresh
• 6 slices day-old (or frozen) bread (mix of kinds, some rye is nice) – cut into thumbnail sized cubes
• 10 (or 12 if you don’t want to bother storing the last 2 from the dozen) large eggs
• 1 1/2 cup milk (any milk works, I use skim – original recipe had 1/2 C
• 1 tsp. garlic salt
• 1/8 – 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
• 2 cups shredded cheese (1 package), cheddar - original recipe had 1/2 C

12 Likes

All the egg salad talk spurred me to make open faced egg salad sandwiches for lunch to use up the last of the saffron aioli in the fridge. The rest of the prep was like I was making deviled eggs, but egg salad:

1 T. saffron aioli/mayo (which is to say, it’s mayo flavored with saffron, garlic, salt, and lemon)
1 T. regular Hellman’s
2 t. strong Dijon (I used Maille’s)
2 t. capers and whatever brine is also on the spoon
black pepper to taste
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled
paprika, for garnish

Mix together the mayos, mustard, capers/brine, and black pepper until well combined. Smoosh in the yolks from the hard boiled eggs until smooth. If lumpy, thin with a little more brine, half and half, or water and keep stirring. Chop the whites and add them. Stir until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle paprika on top before serving.

I like my egg salad to not have crunchy bits, but if you like the contrast of minced celery or scallion, you could certainly add it!

17 Likes

Could you taste the saffron over the boiled eggs?

1 Like

My turn for matzoh brei — with onions, scallions, brown butter, and beet-cured salmon.

I find comments like “this is the WRONG way to make matzoh brei” hilarious (check out the comments section of the NYT “recipe”) – I mean, it’s a home recipe for scrambled eggs with crumbled matzoh. You want it soggy? Soak the matzoh first. You want it crisp? Fry the matzoh first. So much angst for no reason :rofl: :woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

Oh, those look wonderful! And I LURV the addition of capers. I occasionally make some for my PIC, who also prefers his egg salad without crunchy bits - whereas I like them.

Are those toasted mini English muffins you served it on?

And now I’m ready for an eggy lunch :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I think I did! I enjoyed my meal there. I remember it was the day that the news came out that Tony Bourdain had died. We all ate something new to us in his honor (unfortunately I don’t remember what mine was).

3 Likes

I’ve never had Matzoh brei. I sort of want to order it at a brunch spot, if I find one offering it.

I have enjoyed chilaquiles. Not sure if anyone has mentioned them in this thread yet - doesn’t look like it

I forgot I posted this Matzoh Chilaquiles recipe. Never got around to it.

1 Like

Yes! My saffron is pretty strong stuff (the “coupe” grade from Penzey’s). The original mayo with it was 1/4 c. mayo flavored with a large pinch of saffron bloomed in 1 T. hot water for an hour and then mixed into the mayo with garlic, lemon zest, 1 T. lemon juice, 1 t. dry mustard, and a pinch of salt. You could definitely taste the saffron, both with the salmon I served it with originally and the eggs.

5 Likes