Salt Cod

Thanks for posting that recipe. I have some bluefish in the freezer - which most people around here toss back - which would probably work well as it is an oily fish like mackerel

1 Like

Great thread . I have 2 pounds of salt cod I ordered from a new york deli last month. Another fun buy . Making eggplant parmigiana for Christmas. Going to incorporate the cod as another dish .

2 Likes

Hope it goes well, though never done that with bluefish! But even some (relatively) leaner ones like salmon or Arctic char can be great

1 Like

Most of our local grocers have salt cod year round, though there is much more now. Let me know if you ever need more, I’d be happy to send you some!

Do you do the 7 fishes for Xmas?

We mostly have sea bass, striped bass, and fluke in stock which are abundant in the water off the coast of NJ. They are all very lean but I think will take to the sake/salt treatment and light grilling well.

Salt fish fritters

7 Likes

I grew up on New England “cod fish cakes”. I think my father may even have bought them canned. Like maybe 3 or 4 to a can. I loved them.

Fast forward, we make brandade which, as described upthread, is infinitely adaptable. Main course, spread, pan fried. May actually be time for a batch!

3 Likes

Very nice!

Salt cod “balls” (though more oval in shape) are a snack I like to eat when in Portugal. So far I haven’t gone out of my way looking for them here on Madeira. Not sure if they are as popular here.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Working on this one, but found these as well.

Baccala Rachenate or Baccala Racanto (Baked salt cod, using breadcrumbs, cauliflower, raisins and parsley)

3 Likes

I used coconut milk with heavy cream. Needed a bit more sweet to balance so I added more raisins.

5 Likes

I am making salt cod for the first time this week!

4 Likes

I love fried rice with salted fish, and thought of using salt cod as a sub, but it’s a different type of salted fish in that. Salt cod just doesn’t have that awesome funk :joy:.

I love salt cod since I grew up with it, typically with scrambled eggs which my mother favors over the more common way with tomato sauce that is done here. Bacalaitos are also good, though I tend to prefer other fritters from different cuisines. Mediterranean preparations of salt cod are all great.

1 Like

Weird- this is it uses fresh cod and then he salts it. Wondering if I can use soaked salt cod for the same thing.

I’ve made some very nice bacalao from fresh cod filets, yes, with added salt. Which reminds me, I have some frozen now. I think I’ll pick up some potatoes today and make some more.

1 Like

Interesting. That recipe doesn’t call for potatoes at all, nor a coating of bread crumbs on top to toast up in the oven. Thinking…

I don’t use potatoes in my dishes, and am always on the lookout for recipes without them. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like
2 Likes

This thread reminded me of a dish I first had for the first time right before the pandemic and loved instantly: it’s “ackee and saltfish,” which I had for brunch with a Caribbean friend at a Jamaican/pan-Caribbean joint in Brooklyn called Negril. He ordered it, I was curious, ordered it also, and was instantly hooked.

I had already enjoyed salted cod in other cuisines (French and Spanish) but this might be my favorite way to have it. I considered going back to the same spot when I was in the city last weekend, but the dish now costs $31 and that’s steep even for me.

3 Likes

If you’re willing to try other places in NYC, I think you should be able to find it for closer to $20 at a more basic Caribbean restaurant. I checked at one of the long running midrange Jamaican restaurants in Toronto (The Real Jerk, which I’ve been visiting since 1991) , and it’s currently $18 Cdn. To put that into perspective, I’ve been paying $24.99 Cdn/lb for fresh salmon at the grocery store, cauliflower is selling for $5.99 Cdn each, and a Grande Cappuccino at Starbucks costs $5.60 Cdn. LOL

1 Like