RIP Chowhound

woo hoo!

1 Like

I too have been going through old posts to see what I can dig up. I am amazed by the memories and half-memories of somethings almost completely forgotten. So many great folks, many of whom have migrated to HO. Like the great western migration (or if youā€™re in China, the eastern migration), though maybe not quite as epic.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. FYI, I was able to read it without a payroll by googling for it rather than using your link, so that may be another route for anyone else who wants to read it.

5 Likes

That was an awesome article @digga, Devra at her finest, thanks for posting. Love the confirmation that she and other mainstream food writers lurked there in the early days, as we always suspected. And so nice to see those Boston Houndsā€™ instantly-recognizable names.

3 Likes

Useful idea. Googling We Are All Chowhounds Now could be the way to go (as long as someone hasnā€™t reached their limit of free articles from The Boston Globe).

@digga, this is such a great read, thanks! For me itā€™s the very best piece I read on the topic. Best to avoid extra work and copyright issues by not transcribing the whole article, said one of your HO pals who has your back. Wonder who that could be. :wink:

3 Likes

I love that Devra went all the way back in the Wayback Machine to pull the CH Manifesto as a ā€œstarter referenceā€. And kudos to the Boston regulars who were mentionedā€¦I had forgotten several of the Boston CH names until she mentioned them.

3 Likes

Clear your cache, and you should be able to read the article as a ā€œfreebieā€. Iā€™ve done that on occasion. :wink:

4 Likes

I asked this question over on the archive thread - in case anyone here is interested:

3 Likes

A chowhound poster I always read was ā€œmamachefā€. Her tales of being a cook for a college fraternity (or was it a boarding school?) were great.

3 Likes

I liked her posts as well. I think she was widowed unexpectedly and stopped posting after that, which is sad.

1 Like

Ah, I thought it was med issues of her own, Was bummed when she stopped.

I loved mamachef (yes, it was a frat for which she cooked). I especially recall her sad cafe thread; but she was so helpful and kind on a myriad of topics. She and I exchanged e-mails for a while, but it sadly wound down. She made a brief appearance on HO using a different screen name.

I know she lost a son and suffered a fire. I wasnā€™t aware she had been widowed as well. I wonder if I should try reaching out to her after all these years?

3 Likes

I threw in the (work) towel for today. I had never come across MamaChef on Chowhound so I had to look. Here is her blog which doesnā€™t look updated. Mamachef blog. Sounds like sheā€™s had some major challenges in her life.

1 Like

I think I remember reading Mamachef passed away a few years ago, after her son died.
She was active on HO when it began https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10205407557612472&id=1355572006
Here was marciā€™s introduction on HO.
Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better - #195 by marci

7 Likes

That sad story about mamachef makes me appreciate the utility of a place like CH or HO. Weā€™ve had discussions here on HO about food forums, and how we are dinosaurs but if a place like this keeps dinosaurs like mamachef going even for a short while, then sign me up. It keeps this dinosaur happy.

9 Likes

Ahhh, I had forgotten mamachef was Marci! And yes, I believe I remember hearing about her passing as well.

3 Likes

Mamachef was a fine writer and excellent poster, and had a great deal of adversity in her life, even after her son died. RIP mamachef!

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about Marci She passed in November, 2018 when she was only 56. She was such a wonderful writer who unfortunately experienced more than her fair share of adversity.

8 Likes

@digga I miss you !! What a wonderful part of my day it was to see your note. Had to reset multiple passwords for old lost accounts to get in here but well worth the trip down memory road with you and many more of our tribe. Makes me so happy to think of the friendships made from that era. Skimming all the comments Iā€™ve gotta think somebody has by now proposed a throwback get together at a venue like Taiwan Cafe. I am a terrible planner but I can promise you I will twist Joanieā€™s arm to make it to such an event. :grinning:

Thank you digga and everybody for sharing the fine times.

7 Likes

Completely possibly that I remember wrong.