RIP Chowhound

Yes, I unfortunately found her obit after my e-mail to her bounced. I was hoping she had just changed e-mail accounts, but when I searched her I found the sad news.

:sob:

5 Likes

Thanks for the link. I must’ve only sort of remembered what happened, since it seems as if she wasn’t even married at the time of her death

We get the print version of the Boston Globe delivered at 0530 every morning at the end of our driveway in Eastham on the outer Cape. DH cannot live without his sports section. I did not read today’s food, but always look forward to it so that’s for tomorrow during the rainstorm. I miss the old Globe.

3 Likes

This makes me so sad. I exchanged emails with her too and really liked her.

There were some amazing posters who have passed…Sam and his magic house, FoodFuser and his poems, grouchy Veggo…

Also reminded of ospreycove and IndianRiverFL (Dale, iirc) and DuffyH, all of whom were active Florida posters but who have disappeared into the intarwebs.

5 Likes

Some names I remember fondly/ I remember Veggo was the first to welcome me to the CH community all those years ago.

5 Likes

Moh was another poster who left a legacy. I think she had become sick around the time I visited Winnipeg.

1 Like

Ahhh, fond memories of all three. Sam’s Magic House thread will live on forever.

4 Likes

I LOVED the article - does anyone know her poster name?

As I haven’t lived in Boston since 1987, my contributions to the Boston board were limited at best, but I definitely remember the name Limster!

3 Likes

Veggo once commented on something I had posted. I was very pleased.

3 Likes

Funny how some posters elicit this reaction.

3 Likes

When I first joined Chowhound back in the early 2000s, I chose the handle “Limster,” because that is one of my many nicknames. Little did I know there was a prolific, well-esteemed Chowhound with that handle. I can’t remember exactly how it all went down, but I guess a mod suggested I choose a different handle which I did with my metaphorical tail between my legs and giggling after I started following the OG Limster.

I finally met Limster (a kind, modest, intelligent person) and retold the story. Limster was mildly amused.

9 Likes

Veggo was quite reticent to give details about his offline life. I found out only after his death that he lived just 15 miles from me.

5 Likes

Actually, Veggo and I had formed a nice off Chow friendship. He was truly a very unique guy with quite an interesting personal / professional history. If I recall correctly Veggo was actually his cat’s name that he adopted for his handle? (anyone else confirm that)

If memory serves me correctly he and Catholiver had a bitter rivalry and would often go at it on Chow. Wow…been a long time since I’ve thought about hm. RIP Veggo.

4 Likes

Melanie Wong links to this 10-minute audio piece from LA radio station KCRW FM broadcast last week about the culture and demise of Chowhound:

Pat Saperstein aka “Chowpatty” talks with Evan Kleiman about the Chowhound experience.

5 Likes

No, it was actually his given name. I think it was catholiver who sent me his obit.

1 Like

Veggo was his real name. But it was pronounced like the actor Viggo Mortensen. I miss him too. We had some nice exchanges.

4 Likes

Yes correct! I do remember that now.

The cat was “little Veggo,” right?

1 Like

For some reason I seemed to remember that. How long has it been, this is a bit of a trip down memory lane, can’t remember the last time I thought about him. Good guy

1 Like