RIP Chowhound

10 Likes

Whoa!

Expecting an arrival of new members here soon?

1 Like

I never read or knew about Chowhound until I joined HO and the number of references made. Being the read-o-holic, rabbit hole tender I have always been my curiosity led me to the founders slog and his tear down the walls approach to reliving what he built after the burn and hundreds of inquiries.

I have no skin in the history but founder syndrome and first hand information will always interest me.

Not surprising, he left this today.

5 Likes

Thanks for that….I was chased out of the clubhouse by Melanie for restaurant recommendations that were not cutting edge.

2 Likes

No idea who Melanie is but that handle appears thousands of times.

2 Likes

I hope not. I didn’t spend much time on chowhound. Mostly due to too many pedantic and self-righteous comments.

In contrast, HO members seem to be the most helpful, open minded, curious, and thankful group I have ever experienced on a food forum.

It’s just a great place!!!

9 Likes

No great loss. And, for those of us long enough in the tooth to recall why HO was founded and we moved to play here, then no surprise either.

There some good people there and I hope they might find their way here. We should encourage and welcome them as they’ll enrich our experience here. On the other side of that coin, there are pains in the arse who I hope don’t find their way here. .

15 Likes

Given the number of people on HO who have shared they were/are a part of the Chowhound community, isn’t it fair to say it’s not the people but the management that makes the difference in the forum experience? It seems only fair.

5 Likes

Just coming here to post that. WOW.

Wow. Does anyone want to post a plug for HO on that ch discussion? They disabled my acct long ago.

I don’t recall having an issue with management/moderators, but more about posts from some members that other’s opinions “don’t count for this, that, or other reasons”.

I am sure there were some great folks there, and I welcome them here (but just not the whole bunch).

3 Likes

I’ve already presumed you’d want someone to do that and have just emailed their moderators to ask if they are OK with that. It’d be good if they were on board but, if not, we can bomb that thread with “advert” posts.

2 Likes

I think I started using chowhound 20 yrs ago. It literally opened my eyes. I loved food beforehand, but really started to learn and discover better food and food offerings as a result of that board. I was living in LA at the time and they opened my eyes to the Asian offerings in San Gabriel, the cheap delicious Thai at the Hollywood temple on weekends, the dives of little Tokyo on Sawtelle, the first fridays trucks at Abbott Kinney. I will be eternally grateful for all the tips I got as a traveler. It was a glorious place. Until they ruined it. I am so sorry that all of that wonderful content will be lost. I am looking forward to this site growing as a result. Especially the regional boards. That’s what I miss most about CH is the lack of regional information in certain geographies on HO. Fingers crossed we will inherit some PNWers!

10 Likes

Is there a way to archive one’s past Chowhound posts?

Copy and paste here.

2 Likes

Apparently, they also live on in an archive version of CH:

1 Like

That’s exactly how I sampled Chowhound. No interrupting ads that way.

Followed Jim Leff before he started Chowhound. Liked CH at first but after he sold it I couldn’t stand the ads (Note, I LIKE advertising…BUT not when it gets in one’s face. Always boggled that the Ad People remain oblivious to the hatred the pop-ups & privacy data collection generate.)
Anyway, the Then new CH format + the mods heavy handedness finally activated “cyabye” for me.

Different site where almost the same thing happened: Roadfood.com. Sad!

5 Likes

Just surprise at the length of time it took to finally kick the bucket. Their death began in September 2015 with the big site conversion where it was impossible to search on their site, the damn tags (HO’s tags are way easier to deal with), and the banner at the top that essentially blocked messages on the message boards. All they wanted you to do was scroll past the insane number of ads.

My first post there was on 11/12/01 in response to someone else, but my first Thread on CH that I started was on 11/14/01. I left in Sept 2015, so I had a good run there. Now, HO is my home (along with several private food groups on FB).

ETA: It’s also how I met up with @GretchenS and @Harters and his wife back in 2012 when John and his wife came to New England for a visit. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

For anyone who wants a bit more history about the exodus from CH:

4 Likes