Ricer cooker/steamer?

My cousin made a couple of big batches on New Year’s Day to go with black eyed peas for a big crowd. The rice came out well.

Maybe you guys make different kind of rice. I can totally see the kind of rice texture you want for “red bean and rice” will be different than the kind of rice you want for Japanese cuisine.

What’s wrong with the rice? I don’t have an Instant Pot, so I can’t speak to how it cooks. But the guy who found and runs the company in Ottawa was originally from Harbin, China. Even though that’s wheat country, one would think that he’d at least have enough exposure to rice to get the rice right…

Maybe

Works fine for me (Brown, jasmine, basmati, calrose medium grain, even risotto).

A potential drawback as a rice cooker is its size, but for me, it was about as big as a rice cooker we ditched. Also, since it’s electirc, there’s nothing stopping you from making rice in the living room :slight_smile:

I have practiced cooking rice lots of ways, I even searched for the perfect microwave cooking container that won’t boil over, even though I almost never use the microwave to cook anything, ever.

Get a Demeyere Atlantis disk bottom dutch oven, perfect stovetop rice every single time and can use the pot for all kinds of other things. I have never regretted any of my Atlantis disk bottom pots, I love them!

For a machine, I much prefer my instant pot over my rice cooker, unless you want the brown bits on the bottom of the rice cooker (some people love them) - me, I never did anything with the brown bits, so I like the all white uniform rice out of the instant pot electric pressure cooker.

If you want to use the microwave, I prefer the Le Creuset stoneware bean pot - that shape prevents boil-overs and the presentation is great, and a rice paddle fits in it nicely for serving.

What type of rice do you prefer?

I stock basmati, jasmine, arborio and a mix of sushi and round white sweet rice, makes a delightedly chewy and sticky rice. I don’t usually buy brown rice, although I know I should.

I hope some of that helped you! :slight_smile:

Perfect rice cooking for people who actually knows what they are doing :grinning:. You can buy the most expensive stovetop pot and there will always be someone able to burn the rice or mess up somehow.

Save yourself the agony of manually cooking over the stove and get this 3-cupper Zojirushi.

1 Like

#RiceCookerGoals

$1200!! (at least for the same model I saw on Amazon) And I thought the Korean ones at $500 were expensive! And before I heard of the Korean ones, I thought Zojirushi were kinda pricey already!

How does it cook? What are the benefits? What’s the black layer made of? I am interested in the earthen pot idea. I remember another brand, name forgotten, manufactures clay pot rice cooker and retails in the US, but the pot cracks after some use.

Right now I use a Lotus cooker with a Stainless Steel pot, but that cooker was poorly manufactured. Every few months pressing the cook switch would not cook the rice and the thing needs to be shaken.

BTW, does anyone know how the Korean ones cook? We have a Zojirushi at home, but it sits unused because the Teflon pot is pretty scratched up.

The benefit of old fashion clay/mud pot cooking and nonsense…(sorry)

I live in a small apartment with a tiny manhattan kitchen and minimal storage so I literally don’t have somewhere to put one!
On the occasion i do make rice now i use the baked method which is low stress and comes out well, but i just don’t eat much rice in the first place…

Do you have a cast iron pot? I find it easy to cook rice with often in it topping with ingredient and with the closed lid inside an oven. I use it on stove to make rice congee. But then I have the tiny rice cooker that I got long time ago when I was still single, living in a studio. But rice is essential with your wonderful kimchi :wink::yum:!

1 Like

I think most of the $1k cookers are trying to replicate the traditional high pressure kamado style of cooking - as seen on Jiro

2 Likes

The product photo of cooked rice does look good with IH JPG-X100 cooker, but 1k, must be reserved for restaurants. For homes, people owning this must know how to slice fish first.

3 Likes

What you have said is so true. The high pressure part is real or at least debatable, but high pressure electric rice cookers have existed for sometime, and so is induction rice cooker. Now, this one is about clay cooker. Ancient Japanese used clay cookware because clay is much easier to make than metal. They didn’t have aluminum back then. I love the ancient cookware probably more than most people, I have cast iron, carbon steel, hand hammered carbon steel, clay, granite stone cookware… However, we don’t need to overly romanticize the old times.

To each his own.

I for one have been rediscovering the joys of cooking on ‘ancient’ cookware/materials - cast iron pans, grills, carbon steel woks/pans/knives, copper, basalt mortar and pestles, clay etc. and I LOVE them. Gladly drop $1k+ if these new rice cookers can marry the old and the new successfully and are available in 110V units.

1 Like

※ ◆ Power supply: AC 100 V (50/60 Hz) / ※

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CYXT29/

This is because some of these older cookware offer factual advantages. The main reason that cast iron and carbon steel cookware have lost some favor over year is because they require seasoning and maintenance of the seasoning, yet they have never disappeared because they are still the only types of cookware which offer ability to work at very high temperature and maintain a nonstick surface. This is why the Chinese restaurants were unable to move away from carbon steel woks. Copper is even an easier argument because copper is still the most conductive (realistic) metal of all.

There is no real benefit of clay cookware for rice beside a sense of nostalgia, traveling back in time (like learning to start a fire by drilling one wood stick into another). By automating this step, then it takes away the last piece of joy. It would be like building an expensive robot to start a fire by drilling two sticks for you.

I beg to differ

Honestly I don’t know what point you’re trying to make, you keep contradicting yourself.

1 Like