Rice pudding and other rice desserts

I really don’t know. My Asian supermarkets here are pathetic considering we have one of the busiest container ports in.the.world! If you can find the yeast do give making fermented rice a go. The interesting thing about this is eating and “drinking” at the same time.

Maybe they even stock pots of ready made fermented rice at your Asian supermarkets. Check it first. Some Asian actually make it at home.

I made these rice pudding popsicles and they are so good.
https://www.lotusfoods.com/recipes/peach-rice-pudding-pops/

I cut up fresh local NJ peaches, donut variety was not avail.

Tonight I gave making chocolate rice pudding a try. I liked it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014592-double-chocolate-rice-pudding

I use dark chocolate instead of milk and 60% called for. Once served in a bowl I topped the pudding with a few fresh raspberries. Its rich.

If you cant open the link, Goggle search has it elsewhere.

1 Like

Geez, it’s still summer!!! I need the temps to drop into the thirties = long walks & evenings w/toddies and such like. I’ll revisit this thread in two months w/total pleasure. Meanwhile, eating frozen fruit w/my negroni. :wink: But keep ‘em coming.

2 Likes

Rice pudding I enjoy chilled. Do you eat it warm?

Oh dear. I might eat it warm, but I have to cook it hot. :wink: It’s been variable here, not as hot as in May, but I really get into comfort food when the cold wind blows!

1 Like

Ah, that makes perfect sense. See you in two months😉

1 Like

Tonight, 4 cups coconut milk, 1 cup oat milk, 1 cup arborio rice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 split vanilla bean. Cooked in stove pot on med low for 1 hour. Once room temp , stirred in small slivers of orange peel. Chill.

3 Likes

My partner loves kheer, an Indian rice pudding with seemingly endless regional variations; I think he often suggests Indian takeout simply so he can order it!

4 Likes

Which reminds me of a dish an old acquaintance once made for a gathering, called firni or phirini, made with crushed or ground rice:

3 Likes

Love kheer and other Indian desserts I have tried at sweet shops.

2 Likes

Here is the hacked version!

4 Likes

Tyou!

The lemon zest is perfect. First recipe in the ipot.

3 Likes

Mmmmmm. Rice pudding! Let me count the ways. Classic with raisins and sprinkled with cinnamon, chocolate, lime and coconut. I’m a big fan, but unfortunately my waistline isn’t :slight_smile:
Rather than dessert, how about arancini?
Here’s one of my favorite sites for unique Rice ideas

Eta: I’m intrigued by the idea of combining rice, water, and coffee in the pumpkin latte rice pudding recipe. Rice for thought.

1 Like

I make a French version, with side of caramel
200 gr short grained rice
1 liter milk
200 gr sugar
1 vanilla bean
200 gr cream, whipped
Heat the milk with sugar and vanilla bean. Add the rice.
Cook on o heat for 20 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes. Carefully blend in whipped cream.

Make a caramel wtih
150 grs sugar
CAREFULLY add 50 grams butter, then 20 cl heavy cream

Pour caramel into individual dishes, the fill with the rice pudding

3 Likes

You’ve forgotten the candied nuts, walnuts, almonds, pistachio etc. Once you’ve tried that, you can’t live without that…with the salted caramel. Divine!

Yes, that’s L’Ami Jean’s version, but frankly I prefer it without. (Dinner guests who have had both voted this simple version cleaner and, with humility, superior,) But be my guest and top it off to your heart’s content. :hearts:

1 Like

Btw, I think the whipped cream version is already l’Ami Jean, the classic recipes use milk. Twice at chez LAJ, the nuts toppings were slightly burnt, became bitter in taste.

Unpleasant nut flavor, agreed. Perhaps the reason I shy away from it.

FWIW, the recipe I referenced is from Stephane Renaud’s “Ripailles”. It is quite similar to Thierry Breton’s.