Rice pudding and other rice desserts

Many Portuguese bakeries have a rice flour cake that looks like angel food cake.

This rice pudding with fresh and dried lychees, rose petals and raspberries looks neat
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5oevrwh6rk/?igshid=1h8zigaq0d5y9

1 Like

Can you illustrate with a photo? THX.

1 Like

This recipe has no wheat flour

1 Like

Another rice flour only recipe.

1 Like

This is sort of a riff on rice pudding that my mom fed me regularly as a kid. Cooked rice, mixed with roasted mashed winter squash - usually butternut, sugar, and milk. Cooked for a while together, served room temp or cold for breakfast. I have fond memories.

1 Like

You just reminded me. We had wonderful rice gelato in Italy a few years ago.

Rice pudding on a hot day! Simmering a small batch now, this time adding some of Burlap & Barrel’s new GROUND cardamom into the coconut milk pool.

2 Likes

Grew up with rice pudding. Absolutely detested it UNTIL fabulous coconut version at an Indian resto. Love it ice cold. The addition of cardamom sounds lovely.

It’s a bit thinner in consistency which I also prefer.

Yes, and no raisins!

3 Likes
1 Like

me, too! and we’re in good company:

“ She hates to cook … but really loves to eat

• “I can burn water,” Streisand writes, but some of her most memorable noshes include:

• Sweet potatoes from the Automat and roast pork with mayo on soft white bread from a gentile deli. “Delicious.”

• Fruit. When she first got famous, “I was just excited to be able to buy as many slices of honeydew melon as I wanted and eat only the ripe top parts. To me, that was the height of luxury.”

• Quenelles. The composer Marvin Hamlisch “was one of the few people who even knew what they were and could recommend a restaurant that served them.”

• Rice pudding. Without raisins!

• Coffee ice cream. Without chocolate chips!

• Pastrami — though with a side dish of wisdom: “No matter who you are,” she writes, “you can only eat one pastrami sandwich at a time.””

1 Like

I love rice pudding—it was a very frequent childhood dessert and I still make it at least a few times a year. My mom’s recipe is similar to Delia’s, but with whole milk only and no evaporated (that’s for tea). I also love steamed sticky rice with coconut milk and mango. I use a recipe from an Alford&Duguid book, but I can’t remember which one. Another variation we love is Indian rice pudding, with lots of milk reduced well with basmati and cardamom. Now that we’ve had our first snowfall of the year, it may be on the menu tonight.

2 Likes

And Sugar as well knowing Thai Food! :slightly_smiling_face:
I imagine the Green is from Pandan(or Pandan extract)

1 Like