Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)- December 2017 - December 2018 archive

According to various filings, a Kenny Qiu is connected to Dumpling Garden, Dumpling City (Palo Alto), and Dumpling Depot (Sunnyvale). All three businesses are registered to a Wawona St, address in San Francisco. The same address is used by dumpling baron Qinghe Li (Kingdom of Dumpling, Yummy Dumpling. Town of Dumpling. House of Dumpling, KIng of Noodles, King of Dumpling, iDumpling, Dumpling Empire). You figure it out. :slight_smile:

From corporationwiki.com:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve finally incorporated all the chatter from the 1st half of 2018 into the original post.

• XIn Yuan House (Fremont) has a chef from Lanzhou and several hand-pulled noodle varieties

So I donā€™t know what heā€™s talking about that Dumpling Garden being his first restaurant then.

If you find a la mian joint with a chef from Qinghai, let me know. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m used to in Shanghai, where nearly all the ā€œLanzhouā€ lamian restaurants are owned by muslims from Hualong Hui Autonomous County in Qinghai.

In the 1980s, Hualong pivoted from making illegal guns to serving Lanzhou lamian. It was an unusual move, with the county government providing financial incentives for residents to open eateries, starting locally and spreading outward.

The chef from Chef Z mentioned that there is no good Sichuan in the south bay (other than his, lol. He said thatā€™s why he opened his).

He said Little Sichuan Restaurant in San Mateo used to be good years ago. Now he likes South Legend Szechuan Cuisine (å·“å±±čœ€ę°“) in Milpitas.

He heard recommendations for either Chili House or Z&Y in SF but he hasnā€™t been.

He has another recommendation but I forgot what he said.

1 Like
  • I learned on Chihuo and confirmed on Yelp that Eden Silk Road at 231 S. Ellsworth, San Mateo is now serving, or named, Chaoshan Hot Pot. Anyone know the story and if they serve beer (I couldnā€™t find an active alcohol license online)?
  • Eden Silk Road in SF is listed on Yelp as temporarily closed until July 31st
  • Little Sheep in Union City is closed
  • The Happy Dumpling Stonestown location is listed as closed on Yelp. Any news on whether thatā€™s accurate, and if they are continuing at other locations? I see their truck driving around every once in a while.

Silk Road and Chaoshan?! Since when did the silk road go all the day to Shantou? (I guess the high speed rail probably does nowadays.)

Ha! At this point I canā€™t tell if itā€™s a change of ownership or a rebranding under a different chef. Either way, adding to Teo, now there are two Chaoshan hot pot places.

I went to the Teo website to look up their hotpot. Interesting they also sell frozen beef and pork balls for pickup:

https://www.teosf.com/shop

• MK Noodle (Dublin) may be the first SFBA restaurant to a serve a non-noodle Shanxi dish. Listed on the menu as Shanxi style fried pork (čæ‡ę²¹č‚‰) Iā€™m curious to what extent the recipe corresponds to a recipe described by Clarissa Wei. The restaurant also has knife shaved noodles and various northern Chinese dishes.
  • Peak Point in Berkeley has closed

Does MK Noodle have naked oat noodles on the menu?

FWIW, thereā€™s a Taiyuan Restaurant somewhere in the South Bay. They might have some non-noodle Shanxi dishes is thereā€™s anything in the name.

I just noticed Peak Point was closed when I walked byā€“scheduled to become yet another tea place.

Only wheat noodles unfortunately!

Phonetically similar Taiyuans, but different characters å¤Ŗ原 for the capital of Shanxi, å¤Ŗęŗ for the Cantonese seafood restaurant in Daly City (if thatā€™s the one youā€™re referring to).

At some point I have to ask, do people in the Bay Area now officially like those boba tea places more than Taiwan?

I had the same thought, whenever I think the market is saturated I see another new one. We ate at Szechuan Cuisine on Irving Saturday and right next store is new to me TPUMP milk tea/boba, which I at first read as TRUMP.

Then again I had similar thought years ago about Starbucks also.

Yes, but boba is an invasive species.

• Shanghai Cuisine (Alameda) and Power Pot (Cupertino) have closed.

That makes seven closed Shanghainese/Jiangnan places since Jan. 2018. No need to worry about the Shanghai scene though---- since 2015, the number of Shanghainese restaurants has been stableā€” 16 opened, 15 closed. And thatā€™s not including generally northern places that specialize in XLB, like Din Ding and Bingā€™s.

@chandavkl brought up the topic of mainland chains on a Foodtalkcentral conversation that has some history to it. In 2013, @chandavkl asked why there werenā€™t more Chinese restaurant chains. By 2016, he commented on the influx, and in 2018, several have opened, which matches a broader trend of chain Asian restaurants opening in the SFBA. Hereā€™s a running list, which Iā€™m now keeping in the original post. Iā€™m generally leaving out pastry/dessert and tea shops, as theyā€™re too numerous to keep track of. Lemme know if Iā€™ve missed any.

US Chains

2 Likes