Refreshing Leftover Pizza…

Pizza is pretty good the next day. But day three (or if you’ve frozen a few slices), not so much. Here is a great way to refresh it:

In a small skillet add a glug of good EVOO, and add thinly sliced onions, minced garlic (I also add thinly sliced shrooms as well if I have them). Add a good pinch of Kosher salt and saute until you just get some color on the onions. Finish it off with a dash of wine vinegar.

Top the pizza with this mixture before you reheat it, and brush the oil out to the rim of the crust… then re-heat in oven. Yum!

2 Likes

Was @ScottinPollock’s MO already mentioned in that thread?

No… this is just something I recently tried. Initially, I just used minced onion and garlic in EVOO brushed over the crust and any surfaces that looked dry. That worked pretty well, but I like the sautéed onion, garlic, shrooms in so many things (omeletes, sandwiches, pasta preps, etc.), yesterday I tried it again on some way leftover pizza and it came out great.

1 Like

Right. That’s why I was asking @Saregama why they posted the link, since your post isn’t just about a method for reheating.

This is an absolutely alien concept to me.

What I really can’t get past is that there might be pizza that isnt eaten “on the day” and becomes leftovers.

4 Likes

I order more than I need so I can have breakfast the next day.

4 Likes

You must not have seen the size of US pizza. I certainly couldn’t finish a whole pizza in one sitting.

2 Likes

I prefer cold pizza to reheated (or “refreshed”) pizza.

There’s nothing quite like cold pizza (straight out of the fridge) with a fresh cup of espresso, or two, or three.

And, if it’s dinner, cold pizza goes great with a bowl of corn chowder or
roasted kabocha squash or pumpkin soup. It just does. Fantastic combo.

2 Likes

I’ve eaten some very nice pizzas in America. Never any leftovers.

Maybe this is why I am a short fat Briton instead of a just being a short Briton.

6 Likes

Cold pizza is the worst. Nothing nastier than formerly luscious melty cheese coagulated into crap. All yours.

3 Likes

LoL, Scott. I read your title and thought, “What could possibly be refreshing about leftover pizza?”

Strange the ways we can misapprehend meaning.

Your reheat method sounds pretty darned good, though.

I usually just reheat in a lidded skillet on low heat, occasionally dribbling a teaspoon of water around the perimeter than quickly re-lidding. It’s kind of slow but does the trick.

3 Likes

This is what I do. Leaning about it was a game-changer.

1 Like

Its the toaster oven chez nous. Gets the crispy back without much effort

3 Likes

It’s been said that there are only two kinds of people in the universe – those who eat cold pizza for breakfast, and everyone else.

2 Likes

I should try it in the air fryer some time…

I’ll take that as a compliment

1 Like

Add me to the list of people that enjoy cold pizza for breakfast. Add in a hot cup of coffee and I’m in heaven!!

3 Likes

Me too. As I’m pouring my coffee I start thinking I might reheat the leftover pizza for breakfast, then realize I already have a half eaten slice in my hand. It never turns out the same reheated to the extent that I find it worth the effort.

3 Likes

I tried to reheat a slice in my air fryer. I must have done it incorrectly, because it was totally wrecked. Probably too high a temp, and it was my old air fryer. I use parchment liners now.