The best way to reheat pizza

1 Like

I’ve tried microwave, which is a no no, rubbery. The best is with a hot oven, crispy again.

2 Likes

Serious Eats has been debating this for quite a while.

Me? I go back to my dad’s old method with a slight twist. He used this for both bagels and pizza. He’d put the item in a cold oven, set it to 350 and when the oven said it was preheated? The food would be ready!

My tweak is if the bagel (or pizza) looks a little dry, I will brush the crust with water and maybe sprinkle a few drops of water on the pizza itself before putting it in the cold oven. Works like a charm.

3 Likes

I put my slices on low in ci skillet . Cover mid cooking

6 Likes

Line a tray with tin foil and stick in 400 degree oven for 10 mins turn off oven and place pizza on foil for 8-15 mins. Good to go.

4 Likes

Stovetop method for me, only way the crust crisps up the way I prefer.

6 Likes

I like the /r/pizza subreddit stovetop method. It’s fast, it tastes good, and is as close as you can get to out of the box.

Serious Eats is off the reservation. Remember they are an advertising mill and make recommendations that lead you to buy things from their advertisers - in this case a griddle. Half an hour for reheated pizza? Not happening. I can get a new one delivered in that time.

1 Like

I usually do 30-45 seconds in the microwave to take off the chill and then get it in a hot pan to crisp the crust. Works every time but not ideal if you are reheating more than 2 slices.

2 Likes

Heat the oven to 550. Wait until it’s preheated. Put the slice(s) on a pan with foil and let heat 3-5 mins. Hot and crispy.

B-i-L swears on the cast iron on oven top burner method. That may be the difference between gas (him) and electric (me).

2 Likes

I do agree that it’s better started in a cold pan, and you don’t want e pan getting too hot at any point - the crust will burn, especially on a carbon stew or cast iron pan.

When the crust seems mostly done I loosely cover the pan to finish heating the top.

3 Likes

I’m a pan guy as well. Low - medium heat so the crust crisps up and entire slice heats up without burning the bottom. Here’s the secret though… Flip the slice over, so it’s cheese side down and let it sizzle for a minute or two. For those of you who love gooey, crispy brown bits, this is amazing.

4 Likes

I use a pizza stone. Put that in the oven and heat to 450. At 450, I put the pizza on the stone and it sizzles. Comes out great.

2 Likes

How long do you heat up the stone in cases like this?

As long as it takes to, heat the oven to 450.

1 Like

Air fryer.

1 Like

The pizza stone is my go-to particularly when I’m working from home. I stick to a lower temp of 380 so that I can be at my keyboard and not pay close attention. When I smell pizza lunch is served.

When I want that cheesy sizzle I just leave the slices in the oven a bit longer due to the lower temp.

5 Likes

I like room temperature leftover pizza. Unless it’s been in the fridge overnight I don’t reheat.

3 Likes

College habits die hard - me too, except “fancy” pizzas - real cheese doesn’t congeal in the right way, lol.

I was rolling at this:
”You should never leave pizza out on the counter or in the oven overnight (because of bacteria)”
Left-in-the-box pizza - that college breakfast of champions, and antidote to every hangover and late night… maybe bacteria was the secret all along…

6 Likes

Hah hah - In college I’m sure I ate pizza that was sitting out for 24 hours or more

3 Likes

I have to say if you are in a pinch try these - Non Stick Toaster Bags Reusable and Heat Resistant Easy to Clean, Perfect for Sandwiches Pastries Pizza Slices I was skeptical - but they work great

2 Likes