Recommended Desserts Toronto & GTA

Soma is my go-to for chocolate in Toronto. In contrast, I prefer solid chocolate to filled ones as the fillings are often too sweet for my tastes. That said, Soma’s filled chocolates are quite good. However, I prefer their bars. Old School is my favourite - just cocoa nibs and cane sugar. I also like Dark Fire (spicy), Green Tangerine, and the single origin bars. The black currant bar and the raspberry bar are also really good, very tangy.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the mango or raspberry bars. I ll

I don’t really eat plain chocolate or plain chocolate bars these days.

I was surprised the local Laura Secord has very few filled chocolates, and no Miniatures or Assorted boxes, due to supply chain issues. Lots of plain chocolate, and mint chocolate. That’s about it. I realize Laura Secord isn’t Soma level. I like the Secord/ Vanilla cream, and Miniatures were a standard at our house for years, until I switched to Rheo Thomson for assorted chocolates.

1 Like

Laura Secord is still a favourite, largely for the French MInt bar!

2 Likes

Another addition to the chocolate luvers would be Richart. I have been a fan since living in SF days and they do deliver to Canada as well. They used to have local reseller but they disappeared I recall. This would be a great starting combo

1 Like

They currently have a box of French and Frosted Mint chocolates available.

Rheo Thomson also makes a mint smoothie chocolate, a bit like a thicker Andes Mint (but no stripe)

1 Like

My favourite Kouign Amann in Toronto is at Le Conciliabule

Today’s savoury KA- fish roe and sour cream on top, herring and rice inside, I think.

Their personal-sized traditional KA

I also picked up a coffee èclair, blueberry tart, quiche, loaf of multigrain and some almond croissants. I can recommend their croques and their soups, too.

4 Likes

Ended up at Roselle hmm their ice cream isn’t special and too pricey to recommend

2 Likes

Savoury Kouign Amann? I’m there, or at least will try to be at some point.

Agree the soft serve at Roselle is only OK. But the banana cream pie eclairs…

2 Likes

The blueberry tart was excellent, too.
I like this type of èclair a lot. A coffee cremeux inside.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I tried the Baklava pancakes at Bar Koukla today
Hmm not what I expected there is some sour element thrown in which threw off my palate. My dining companion enjoyed them though

1 Like

I think it might be Greek yogurt? I tried the brunch there last year.

Being part Greek, I find Koukla and Mamakas a little gimmicky. Food is pretty good, but they’re focused on a niche market that I’m not part of.

The presentation, recipe and/or cook has changed since last summer.

There is a newish Greek place called Ballissimo in East York, for loukamades which I want to try. I have had them from Athens Pastries dozens of times- which are quite good - and I want to try some other spots. https://ballissimo.ca/

1 Like

My current favourite!..the New ‘Plum Sake Cream Bun from HATTENDO’ ($4.29 )

" Crafted with a perfect combination of Hattendo’s delicate, pillowy bun, light cream and plum sakekasu jelly from IZUMI Premium Plum sake, this new flavour has a nice sweetness, as well as an evident sake flavour! "

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Charles will check it out as a have location nearby. If you are a sakesu fan Izumi themselves sell ice cream version of it as well. I enjoy their Nama Nama a lot so go there once in a while to get the unpasteurized version which isn’t sold at LCBO.

2 Likes

One of my favorite desserts, ever! (But at the NYC Bar Boulud.)

1 Like

Forgot about Hattendo. That flavour sounds lovely.

1 Like

Sake infusion was quite substantial! I got intoxicated after eating the whole one! Ha!

1 Like

Thanks for this note.
I was at Cafe Boulud last night (mixed review) but the dessert was AMAZING!
This was my favourite dessert in many a year.

3 Likes

Agree, it is a great dessert and nice to hear it is maintaining consistency.

1 Like

Got around to trying le genie bakery today. A very steep price for grab and go but so far a positive impression.
I tried the Paris Brest with pistachio went well. The place was packed as well. Will visit again as am in the area often

4 Likes