Recommendations for gas cooktop, oven, range, fridge and dishwasher?

I’ve not used that range, but it is good looking; some of the showrooms in my neck of the woods have models that are hooked up to gas or electric, and you can try them out first. Let us know what you decide.

I was talking to an appliance salesperson this week. His comment about Bertazzoni was ‘you’ll find them in many spec homes’. i.e. they look good, are cheaper, and that’s about it.

We were kind of warned away as well, by someone that had one I think. I try to not be too negative about things with which I have no direct experience.

Good luck in your search however. I’ve probably mentioned I’m extremely pleased with the DCS (Fischer Paykal) dual fuel gas range and electric oven, as well as the wall oven. If you happen to run across any used ones or show room models. The brand is in the mid range of the upper end appliances. Pretty solid stuff.

Bumping this for more recent intel. We are about to reno our kitchen, including appliances.
What have you bought in the last 3 years that you would recommend or warn against?

Looking Duel Fuel 30" range, vent, fridge, & DW
We went back and forth on induction and decided against it.
Thanks!

1 Like

Not responsive to the latest post, but does anyone have experience with Kucht stoves?

Also, +82 on Bosch DWs.

LOVE my Bosch DW - a true workhorse in the kitchen.

1 Like

Me too - my Bosch DW is going on 17 years without any issues.

1 Like

Excellent! Sometimes I put dishes in there and am skeptical they’ll come clean, but they always do. We’ve had ours about 5 years, never an issue, hope it keeps on truckin like yours.

1 Like

I’d suggest checking with an appliance store to see what they can get in the timeframe you require before you pick a particular brand. When I went shopping last year (8 months before my remodel), I was advised not to get a Bosch DW because there was a one year wait. Over on Houzz, there are tons of comments about the long wait for subzero fridges too. I know the company who did my kitchen a few months ago said they still had customers who had kitchens completed in prior months who had not yet gotten their appliances (it sounded like mostly the high end brands).

For what it is worth, I got a Cafe induction range and a Bosch Fridge. So far no problems, but I have only had them 3 months. I really like the layout of the fridge (36” French door counter depth) and I love the responsiveness of induction. I have a GE dishwasher which I do not like (cleans fine, but I hate the configuration of the racks); I bought it under duress during the pandemic when there was virtually nothing in stock.

2 Likes

Don’t focus so much on brands, though important, they are less important than whether there are service techs in your area that can provide after-sales support, either in or out of warranty.

Focus on repair feasibility and ease, and less on the name on the front or side of the appliance.

3 Likes

Miele dishwashers are expensive and their cycles are very long.

Pretty much all new DW cycles are long due to energy efficiency ratings. They’ve cut down on the water used, so it has to circulate longer to effectively clean, and manufacturers have eliminated the drying coils too. These two things extend the total cycle time. Mine is 2.5 hours.

1 Like

Exactly, mine is a nearly 3 hours wash.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

(Meanwhile, my sib got a new Miele that has a 12 minute express cycle or some such sorcery.)

1 Like

Sure. Wow now that’s an impressive express cycle!

When researching new appliances, the Yale Appliance blog has been a valuable resource for me. They provide reliability info based on service calls, in addition to other tips. Note that I haven’t purchased from them, though I do make a point of always buying from one of the other independent appliance dealers that services what they sell. Service is absolutely key, given the failure rate of appliances and the difficulty of booking a repair tech.

Another lesson: Make sure that your kitchen design will allow you to easily replace your appliances when they wear out. Allow for choice.

Our nicely designed small kitchen was built with a fridge cutout (cabinet layout) that only accommodates one refrigerator model from one manufacturer. Not a fun discovery! Both our kitchen cabinets and floor tile were discontinued in the 13 years since the previous homeowners redid the kitchen, as you would expect. When the fridge failed for good this winter we were stuck with the same suboptimal fridge (Liebherr—exceedingly poor performer) unless we wanted to rip out a section of the kitchen cabinets and patch the floor with non-matching tile. :disappointed:

2 Likes

That fridge situation does not sound like fun at all. We have nixed the fridge cabinet anyways, Not important, can’t reach any cabinet at the top and seems extraneous.
I like Yale, we bought from them 20+ years ago, when we first remodeled. I will look at the blog for info. We are definitely researching service for whatever we buy.

1 Like

Here’s a potentially helpful post about kitchen design mistakes from Yale Appliance. Thought of you when this landed in my inbox today.

5 Likes

Thank you, very interesting. We did get the initial kitchen design and have done/will do some appliance research.
Lots of sales and rebates this weekend.

1 Like

replaced the builder’s grade with a Bosch, because it was “quiet”
after three multi-hundred$ repairs/fixes . . . .
replaced with a Frigidaire, which is more quiet than the Bosch . . .

which has outlived all of the above - no issues, no problems, no repairs . . .

1 Like