Recipes using black-eyed peas

@MunchkinRedux , this recipe was good with black-eyed peas, and would be good with any beans or lentils.

I love that recipe! You brought that into my life two years ago!

1 Like

Just adding this one here for posterity:

2 Likes

One of my favorites from Ruta Kahate. I increase the red pepper and usually a slit green chili after the onions are cooked. Goan Black-eyed Peas
Also AcarajÊ a black eye pea fritter from Brazil by way of slaves brought from Africa by the Portuguese ಠ_ಠ

3 Likes

I forgot about this thread! For New Years this year I made this one.

6 Likes

I always crave them at new years too, even when I don’t make hoppin johns. I’m making this:

And in searching, I just found this for my list:

Black-eyed peas with cilantro and green chilies (Lobhia aur hari chutney) from Madhur Jaffrey’s Vegetarian India is another fave.
This one is great too: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/squash-and-black-eyed-pea-coconut-curry

1 Like

Thanks! I have that “Cool Beans” cookbook mentioned in the Best of vegan link . I have it on kindle and don’t think about it enough.

I’m wanting to try the one with squash too, but i need to make just two servings.

I think it would be easy to adapt–use a smaller squash (acorn is an adaptation–the book uses pumpkin or kabocha). I usually end up using a bit of this and that when I make it–less coconut milk, a bit of canned tomato, etc.

1 Like

Yay! I have some roasted kabocha in my freezer! Do you freeze coconut milk? I have a block of “creamed coconut” I use pieces of when I don’t want to open a whole can.

Like this

Recently made my version of Texas Caviar. Black-eyed peas cooked to just done, with the addition of diced mini multi colored peppers and a citrus based dressing consisting of fresh squeezed orange, lime and lemon with a touch of sugar or honey to cut the acid. Fine diced celery as an addition at times for crunch

3 Likes

I do – whenever I use less than a full can, I put the excess in a freezer safe jar and it freezes well. Nice to have a small amount handy for adding to a soup or curry.

1 Like

This is the Squash and Black-Eyed Pea Coconut Curry

I repurposed what was left of the Pico de Gallo Black-Eyed Pea Salad, and it tastes really good!

6 Likes

This looks tasty:

2 Likes

Quite a few black-eyed pea cassoulet recipes online. I will make one tonight.

1 Like