CAJUN AND CREOLE - Fall 2023 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

All this talk of okra … my favorite recipe is Indian, from Mangoes and Curry Leaves, no slime whatsoever. You get really fresh okra, best to trim then julienne (recipe says to cut into pieces, julienne much better) you cook spices in oil in wok, add chopped onion (shallots good too) add okra, stir fry high heat, add chopped garlic and shredded ginger.

Absolutely delicious, even tastes great cold.

If anyone wants the recipe I can list ingredients and paraphrase recipe.

10 Likes

My favorite way, since this seems to have turned into an okra thread. First wear long sleeves and gloves when you pick from the garden. If not you’ll regret it. Wash/dry slice into 1/4” pieces. Discard any big tough ones. Past their prime. Beat one egg with a little TC cajun seasoning, garlic and onion powder, s & p. Add sliced okra and mix with half flour and cornstarch to form a slight batter. Drop by TBSP and shallow fry in oil until tender inside and crispy golden brown. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and serve with ketchup or even better, remoulade sauce. Great appetizer/munchie food.

9 Likes

I made an old favorite - Red Beans and Rice from Americas Test Kitchen. Lived in New Orleans for a few years and I never found another restaurant or recipe to rival this one.

12 Likes

Got the right paddle, too!

2 Likes

Voting for the November COTM is happening now. Please hop over and join us!

1 Like

https://neworleansschoolofcooking.com/blackeyed-pea-cassoulet

1 Like

SMOTHERED PORK ROAST by Donald Link

I am in love Donald Link’s cookbook. I have yet to make a recipe that doesn’t work. And they all taste fabulous. This smothered pork roast was no exception.

He starts of saying that smothered pork is really a style of étouffée and that the English word is smothered. When using large cuts of meat, the English term is preferred.

This is a fairly simple recipe with a few ingredients. It does have some technique in it, though. Namely, making proper roux.

You start off salting and peppering a 6-7lb roast and letting it sit for 30-60 minutes at room temperature. In a bowl, add in sliced onions, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Set aside .

Preheat oven to 275.

Heat a dutch oven on medium-high heat. Sear the roast on all sides in a dutch oven. Set on a plate. Add in a stick a butter to the pot. When it melts, add in AP flour.

Note here: When I make rouxs, they are normally paste-like or slightly looser. This roux was VERY loose and liquidy.

Cook the roux until it resembles dark peanut butter. When it reaches that stage, add in thee onions. Cook until the onions are softened. Add in chicken stock. Cook until it boils. Add the roast back in, baste, and then bake.

Turn roast every 30 minutes or so for 3-ish hours.

Take the roast out of the pot, let it rest.

Cook the liquid in the pot until it is reduced by 1/3. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon. Season to taste. Shred the pork.

I served this over his rice recipe flavored with bay leaves. And I probably should’ve added some parsley for color and freshness. But regardless, this was a BIG hit in thee Shark household.

My FIL is going to be staying with us for 3 months on and 3 months off. Hey likes a lot of food and doesn’t mind being adventurous. But his favorites are meat and potato meals. And he doesn’t like heat spice at all. So, I am limited in what I am able to make when he is with us. And I wanted something flavorful and where you wouldn’t miss any heat. This fit that bill. And my spouse RAVED about it. So, this will be on repeat.

I’d never made a roast pork version of smothered pork. I’ve always had pork chops. This blows that out of the water.

13 Likes

That sounds amazing! Thanks for the link.

1 Like

No problem. It was so good. So.

2 Likes

Bookmarked - this looks amazing!

2 Likes

Looks great! Did you cover this with a lid when you roasted it in the oven?

I did. But did not cover it tightly or add anything extra to keep the steam in.

3 Likes

CANE SYRUP CAKE / GATEAU DE SIROP

I used the original, traditional recipe from Steen’s, except with Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer for the 1 egg. The recipe is over 100 years old!

This is usually baked in a 9x13 pan, and is usually not frosted or glazed although some people sprinkle powdered sugar over the top and Steen’s have recently also showcased it with a satsuma sauce. A very light-textured cake with a good amount of spice and cane syrup taste.

11 Likes

Bookmarked! Love me some red beans and rice.

5 Likes

Handsome!

1 Like

This weekend I’m making a big pot of red beans and I think I’ll have a little side-by-side taste test of these fresh bottles of hot sauce. I’m wondering which one people here prefer?

2 Likes

I think a taste test is a great idea! please report back.

Which one do you reach for?

I don’t have any of those three. I have Valentina black (my favorite) and Chipotle Tabasco and a local one, Maine Gravy. I will buy a bottle of the winner of your taste test.

1 Like

I hate Tabasco flavor. Crystal is ok, but never had the Louisiana. I know people who like Frank’s. I will try anything to not have to use Tabasco.

1 Like