Recent Cookbook Aquisitions

That looks exactly like mine - dirty and stuck together pages throughout.

2 Likes

Not to take your thrifting fun away, but Abe Books has copies of the 1985 edition. Not as cheap as you’d find thrifting but, available!
https://www.abebooks.com/Complete-Asian-Cookbook-Solomon-Charmaine-McGraw-Hill/30765218638/bd?cm_mmc=ggl--US_Shopp_Trade--naa-_-naa&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtbNmYVlC1efhAgzXAbN6GG0rDZBCK7cQOaQAF5tjgKYiGfuKoUpH3xoCGy4QAvD_BwE

And, I confess, I had never heard of this author but everyone was so passionate about her, I had to look her up. Here’s a fun interview - what a life she’s had!

4 Likes

Ooh, can’t wait to read that link @Happybaker; thanks too for the reminder about Abe books, since I tend to forget about them.

2 Likes

@Lambchop and @MsBean I suppose I could be embarrassed, but I’m not. I used it mostly in my 20’s and was not worried about messes and tommorows. I don’t use it much now, but every once in awhile look up things as sort of a reference. I remember making coconut milk by hand, which is the only option described in the book.

How many versions were there? I’m having trouble figuring that out.

2 Likes

I think it’s only been revised once, but I could be wrong @shrinkrap. No need for embarrassment either! I love to see cookbooks that have been put through their paces.

1 Like

I don’t know if the content changes, but on used books sites I’ve seen different covers, and publication dates including 76, 77, 78, 88, 92, 2002, 2006, 2012, and 2017, and Ms. Bean says her’s is '85.

Check out Thriftbooks edition details

2 Likes

Nothing to be embarrassed about. They are signs of well used and well loved cook books. You should see my 660 Curries cookbook. Turmeric stains on half the pages. I love that book!

Hmm, @Lambchop and @shrinkrap , I’m going to have to look at my book again…

Let’ s see - I may have used edition incorrectly. Mine is the 5th impression, 1985.

2 Likes

Just got Vivian Howard’s new book. I started with the first recipe, the Little Green Dress. Delicious. I’ve only made it through the first section, but the books is organized around several “master’ sauces, condiments etc. each followed by recipes.ideas for how to use it.

4 Likes

I’ve been hearing good things about this book. Lots of love for the LGD recipe, and variations. Think I’ll be getting it. Undecided on the new Ottolenghi book - does anyone have it, or opinions about it?

1 Like

“Jacques Pépin Quick & Simple"

excerpt:

With people out of work, and others fearful of joining them, and still others shellshocked and instinctively practicing thrift, Pépin’s recipes speak to this moment. I’ve found many of his videos to be, on certain late insomniac nights, strangely and almost unbearably moving. His age, his battered good looks, his accent, the slight sibilance in his voice, his culinary erudition worn lightly, his finely honed knife skills and the ’70s-era funk of his wood-paneled kitchen: It is somehow a mesmerizing package.

6 Likes

I just had to look that LGD recipe up, so I might as well share it here.

It keeps for a month!!!

1 Like

Yup - but I suspect it won’t last for months because of how easy it is to use. I used up the first batch in about 2 weeks. Going to make another one this evening and I think I’ll also use some cilantro in it because my produce box came with the biggest bunch of cilantro I have ever had.

1 Like

What are your thoughts about using a different green olive? I have a big bottle of stuffed “Spanish Queen” olives from Costco that I’d love to use.

Serious Eats “A Beginner’s Guide to Olives: 14 Varieties Worth Seeking Out”

1 Like

As someone who likes all olives, I think this would be just fine. The called for Castelvetrano olives are mild and butter, but a bit more bite will work just fine. I think the whole idea of this book/recipe is that this and its variations and multiple uses will be fun to explore and find new uses for.

2 Likes

Made the recipe and bought the Kindle version of the book!

1 Like

Pictured are some cookbooks I’ve bought over the past few months. Most are legitimate - ok did have to bootleg a couple in, though not an easy task these days…I like all of them!

1 Like

Just received this yesterday, and was wondering if anyone here has cooked out of it? I’ve heard and read mostly good things about it, as well as some not so favorable comments. To me, it seems to deliver some approachable and appealing things from the pictures and ingredient lists at least, which are fairly short. Would love to hear others’ thoughts, whether favorable or not.

I have it…have referenced it… but haven’t cooked out of it.

1 Like

What are the 6 seasons?

@bbqboy, they are Spring, Early Summer, Midsummer, Late Summer, Fall, and Winter. The chef, Joshua McFadden is now chef and owner of Ava Genes, in Portland, Oregon. He has an interesting backstory, and while he trained at Le Cordon Bleu in Portland, he’s from Wisconsin originally, but has worked all over.

I’m impressed with what I see so far, and will hopefully be making a few recipes, since a lot of it is appealing. It all seems pretty approachable.

2 Likes