Ranch Dressing

[Apologies–there is another Ranch thread from 2018, but it didn’t go far.]

What is it to you? Trite? Gift of the gods? Nekulturny? Patriotic? A dirty little secret?

In my 6+ decades of eating, Ranch has mostly been a nonentity. Never had it on salads for much of that time, and later, when I did, frankly I didn’t care for it much. And I admit I may have been a little snobbish against it.

However, several months ago, I was offered a dressing choice called “triple pepper ranch”, tried it, and LOVED it for dipping. Then, more recently, an adjacent table at a really good pizzaria was dunking slices in Ranch. We tried that our next visit and many since.

Tonight I was out of sour cream for a chili bowl, and wow, a blurp of Ranch worked fabulously.

So what’s your view of Ranch? Spawn of Satan? Irredeemable culinary disqualifier? Something you sneak? To what best use do you put Ranch?

Snark or rave away.

5 Likes

Love it. Especially when made with full-fat mayo, which is a rare indulgence.

In any case, spicy grilled chicken wings aren’t the same without a bit o’ ranch for dipping.

2 Likes

I’ve used Ranch Dressing in a cold pasta salad, but other than that I don’t really use it all that much.

We didn’t have it in the house when I was growing up. I have a container of the powdered Hidden Valley Ranch one. You can make the dressing from it with buttermilk/mayo/sour cream or you can dust it on things (ex. fried chicken, tater tots). As a once in a while thing, that’s fun. And, we all need as much fun as we can, right?

7 Likes

It has probably flown under my radar- didn’t exist growing up, and then I missed all the stuff that was supposed to be dunked into it. I’m open to suggestions … but I don’t have any in the pantry currently. I’m an outlier, I know.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine ever again being so desperate as to have ranch dressing. It is singularly nasty to me.

I like it a lot. It is always in my fridge. I use the Hidden Valley powder packet. Buttermilk and mayo. I only use it as a salad dressing or sometimes a dip for veg. I’ve added various things to it like chipotle peppers or Tajin for a Latin twist, ketchup and horseradish for a Louie dressing. I think I will try peppercorns, that sound good.

6 Likes

I like to add ranch to hummus.

Congee with some ranch and furikake is major comfort food.

2 Likes

The Hidden Valley stuff tastes of preservatives like most commercial dressings.

But I make my own and love it, and have had housemade restaurant versions that were great.

3 Likes

I saw this last time I was at Dollar Tree. I don’t know where I’ll use it, though. Maybe sprinkle it on top of some mixed vegetables??

I’m open to suggestions.

Maybe on popcorn?

5 Likes

That sounds good!!

Yes, for sure popcorn.

Also great sprinkled over (or into) mashed potatoes, a light dusting on french toast works well also. Scrambled eggs too,

4 Likes

Also, on home-made party mix/Chex Mix

3 Likes

Also, someone once mentioned that they liked to add some ranch dressing powder to their tiramisu.

I have not been intrepid (or dumb?) enough to try it myself. Just thought I’d pass it along.

Sunshine would kill me if I added ranch powder to her (store bought) tiramisu.

I was thinking it might be good added to some oven roasted asparagus (right before serving).

1 Like

Agree. Buffalo wings long for Ranch. Am not much into chicken wings, but this combination is classic.

I agree with you. It’s horrific. Even being within odor range of it can seriously reduce my enjoyment of a meal.

I have the feeling we’re going to be a tiny minority in this thread.

1 Like

I was once in your camp, or at least at a nearby campground.

I like ranch ok, but for most things I’d use it on/with I prefer a good bleu cheese (Bob’s is my fav) or a homemade Caesar.

5 Likes