Ranch Dressing

I like ranch flavor a lot.

But ranch dressing has a wide range in my experience, from fake / plasticky-tasting to delicious.

I don’t think it’s as simplistic as homemade vs bottled, though. Not that dissimilar to caesar dressing, or any other for that matter.

5 Likes

Funny how individuals’ tastes change (or don’t). I have a close friend who, decades ago, was on a tear for lemon pepper seasoning. He and his GF put it in/on something–heavily–EVERY time they hosted. They weren’t foodies and not very good cooks, so I developed a strong dislike for it. Now, I realize my reaction was an overreaction.

Another one that divides people is salmon. Another friend from here in Salmonland once went to great expense and work to bring a large, fresh king to Minneapolis to barbecue for a wedding reception. It was probably 25 pounds dressed, and very little was eaten. He said he watched most guests walk on by without even trying.

In terms of Ranch’s popularity, I can share anecdotally that when I work my social fraternity’s dinners, I end up refilling the salad bar’s Ranch container over twice as often as I do other dressings.

2 Likes

My first thought exactly.

Blue cheese all the way with wings. And always, always homemade. Just like the wing sauce :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the aversion most people have to ranch dressing is because of the stuff made from Kraft.

Ranch dressing is essentially just some combo of buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream and garlic and mustard.

If made well and properly it’s just sour umami, essentially.

What’s not to like?

3 Likes

I agree. Blue cheese with wings.

I’m disappointed when Ranch shows up instead, with wings.

I’m totally okay with Kraft, Marie’s or Renee’s Blue Cheese Dressing with wings at a pub.

3 Likes

BINGO. Then again, many love exactly that: the Kraft stuff.

I don’t add mustard to mine: buttermilk, sour cream, mayo, garlic & onion powder, fresh dill & parsley, WWV, and lots of fresh ground pepper.

1 Like

I didn’t connect that Cool Ranch Doritos had a Ranch powder on them until the last 5 years or so. I still like them .

I’ve had it in burritos and tacos, advertantly and inadvertantly. I’ve also used it as a dipping sauce for french fries. Caveat: I’m using homemade.

Don’t you mean Hidden Valley?

Every other brand is a variation on the original.

This is an interesting comparison.

2 Likes

I think more people like Hidden Valley Ranch, the powder type and bottle type.

Kraft Ranch is what shows up the most often in my experience. I associate Kraft with the pump vats of Ranch next to the mayo, ketchup, relish and mustard at some ski hill cafeterias.

Interesting. I’d never consider Kraft for ranch. I’ve got to go look at the salad dressing aisle next time at the store.

1 Like

I’ve never bought Kraft Ranch, I have received the little plastic personal size Ranch with salads and vegetables a lot.

It seems to be the most popular dressing in Canada for little kids, at hospitals, on planes, etc.

If I’m going to choose a commercial dressing for a salad, I’m usually going to choose Blue cheese.

3 Likes

I like it in small amounts. I have several good to us recipes that call for the dry powder.

Taco Soup: Dry powder - I use half measure since it’s very salty. Our version adds 2 cans diced tomatoes, and uses beef broth not water.
Appetizer: Prepared (from dry powder for me) mixed with cream cheese, swirled on rye squares or rice crackers, topped with cucumber round.
Veggie pizza : dry powder with cream cheese and mayo, spread on baked crust, topped with raw veg
Copycat Red Lobster biscuits - dry powder, with homemade biscuit mix
“loaded” 7 up biscuits - dry powder, cooked bacon, cheddar, sour cream, 7-up, biscuit mix (I use homemade equivalent)
Chicken Longhorn - prepared used as marinade

1 Like

I usually make my own blue cheese dressing (which is about 99 percent blue cheese :joy:) but I did pick up a bottle of Ken’s a while ago. It isn’t bad.

2 Likes

I just recently used two packs for a 6lbs. MS roast :slight_smile:

One of very few essential ingredients.

4 Likes

I’m not really a fan. But I have made it a few times because the fam enjoys and homemade can be pretty good. HVR, terrible IMO.

I’d much rather have blue cheese pretty much any day any time.

2 Likes

Hate it on salads. Too salty and too thick, and masks the taste of everything in the salad.

Ok as vegetable dip on a platter of fresh vegetables, probably because I can control not having this covering the entire veggie. Also ok as a potato chip flavor.

I haven’t been interested enough in Ranch dressing to try it in anything else.

1 Like

My wife makes Ranch with mayo…often…very often.

Interesting that you mention salmon. I like it, she doesn’t. We have quite a few differences of opinion about specific foods and even cuisines. Oh, and doneness of meat. Spiciness (heat) is another. There are enough things we both like that it doesn’t create too many problems.

2 Likes

Yes, I am used to it!

At home I do not use bottled dressings unless desperate, but I will use them… except for ranch. It is just so easy to make your own dressing. The bottles are always too harsh for me.

1 Like