Quick Poll: How do you feel about Teflon/Cooking Health Concern?

Yes, absolutely. You are not finishing >450F are you?

Noā€¦ I usually finish cooking at 350-375F degrees.

The older I get the more love I have for CS. Still love the old folks in my ā€œbatterieā€, but Iā€™m leaning CS more and more.

1 Like

Then youā€™re golden with tinned copper.

1 Like

Because carbon steel cookware are lighter weight than cast iron?

1 Like

I had two and loved them - very versatile. They are now in my #2 and #3 daughtersā€™ respective college apartments, so I donā€™t get to see them very often.

They use them as general pans (except not frying, of course) but the real reason they took them was because theyā€™re popcorn fanatics, and they think thatā€™s the best way to pop corn.

2 Likes

This just in on the subject of PFAS: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/08/26/forever-chemicals-epa-cleanup-rule/

3 Likes

I recently received this 5 quart enamel cast iron dutch oven that I ordered off of Amazon ($26 + tax with free shipping). For that price, Iā€™m not worried about ruining it.
That being said I am ready to enter the ā€œlearning curveā€ aspect of cooking on enamel cast iron. Iā€™m used to using Medium-High to High heat on my raw cast iron pans, but I understand you are not supposed to do that with enamel cast iron.
Are there any other tips/tricks I should know??
Also, Iā€™m looking for any information regarding cleaning this enamel cast iron.
Thank you in advance!

I rarely use a DO, but when I do it is usually for a stew or a braise at low temps. While I will sometimes brown some meat in it to get started, never had to go above medium high to do so.

As for cleaning, let it cool (I usually just set it on the counter and deal with it the next day), then let it soak for a bit in hot water. Then wipe it out with a sponge with a few drops of Dawn on it.

If there is something stubborn on it, let it soak longer and then scrub it out with a Dobie pad.

2 Likes

Definitely avoid sudden temperature change: heatt up quick or cool down quick

2 Likes

Better late than never? I feel so much safer now ā€¦ that Iā€™m old!

Some seriously dubious content here below.

They tell you to repair a scratched NS pan by spraying several layers ā€œof nonstick spray that can be purchased online, according to Best Nonstick Panā€.

They link to Best Nonstick Panā€™s website which gives you this Amazon link as a suggested NS spray-on, which according to its label (image below) is ā€œharmful or fatal if swallowedā€.

Next, they tell the reader to bake this stuff onto their scratched NS pan at 500Ā°F for 40-45 minutes and voila!, pan fixed.

The Tasting Table article also acts as if a regular Teflon pan if scratched will somehow leak out chemicals (due to the scratch) and recommends discarding.

Iā€™m not positive but the ā€œBest Nonstick Pansā€ website might be put together by an algo and mainly intended to hawk pans at Amazon, scraping bits of money off each sale via affiliate agreement.

3 Likes

:skull: I dunno. :skull_and_crossbones:

I always wonder if, in terms of power use, itā€™s more efficient to DO a stew in the oven or braise one down on the stovetop. I try to DO when I have an oven Iā€™ve been using, like for bread or some cake, corn bread, yeah. As opposed to braising lamb shanks w veg. Life the lid and let it reduce a touch.

Iā€™ll say my CI DO is irreplaceable for camping. My CIDO. Back to the language thread. Altoona pizza, or whatever. I canā€™t cross like you clevers.

Not sure I get your question, but a braise can be done on the stovetop or the oven. I think the oven might be more consistent, but of course depends on your stovetop (gas is kinda tough as it doesnā€™t maintain that low temp).

One of the most moronic articles Iā€™ve ever read in my life - and I do use non stick pans and ceramic pans once in a while in my kitchen - but the person, who wrote this article, should seek professional help.

Thanks for bringing this article to our attention, CCE.

1 Like

I use natural gas and a copper plate diffuser - with excellent results.
got a pot roast braising right now - since mid-day.

ovens also work . . .

I donā€™t know if this is flat out wrong or practically risk. eg : it can work, but many pitfalls

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m pretty sure putting anything on a cooking surface labeled ā€œfatal if swallowedā€ is a bad idea.

Just kidding as it relates to your response - I recognize you were critiquing the general method and not referring to the toxic chem they linked at Amazon. But if I were to try something like that, I would get a nail polish type brush and just very minimally apply the fixit (whatever the fixit was to be) to the scratch - not coat the entire pan then season it, as they suggest.

At that point (per their suggestion), you havenā€™t fixed a scratch in a non-stick pan, you have created a pan with a seasoned surface. And frankly, Iā€™ve tried doing this years ago (seasoning a dull/thin NS surface that wasnā€™t very NS anymore) and it didnā€™t work for me.

Stick with wooden or silicone utensils. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not bang them on the edges of the pot. Depending on the quality of the enamel, it can chip.
Donā€™t ask me how I know this.

1 Like