Quick Poll: How do you feel about Teflon/Cooking Health Concern?

Thanks for everyone’s votes and inputs. Poll closed.

I’m phasing out my “Teflon”/non-stick cookware. My girlfriend failed one of the two memory tests the doctor gave her.
I know there is no scientific proof linking the two, but there is enough speculation that I don’t want to take the chance.
So I’m going to try to teach myself to cook on cast iron and enameled cast iron (see which one I like better). I’m sure I’ll make some mistakes, but it won’t be the first time I ruined dinner and it won’t be the last.

1 Like

Thanks for contributing. If you are looking into cast iron and enameled cast iron, then you should also consider carbon steel. Carbon steel in many ways behaves like cast iron. Both can build a seasoning layer which is almost nonstick. Both can rust. In general, cast iron is thicker, heavier, less malleable, and has a tougher surface. Carbon steel is thinner, lighters, more malleable and has a smoother surface.

3 Likes

Thanks… Yes, I just started hearing about carbon steel pans after I purchased some cast iron ones. I’ll keep my eye out for an affordable carbon steel pan that I can learn on.
I purchased some lower end pans so I can make my mistakes and ruin them vs. ruining a Staub or a Le Creuset.
And yes… mistakes will be made.

2 Likes

That’s the spirit!

Good news is, it’s really hard to ruin an unfinished cast iron or carbon steel pan[1]. Enameled pans, I guess you can crack the finish. And it’s pretty easy to discolor the finish.

[1] If you use induction heating, rapid heating can warp pans, though.

2 Likes

I haven’t cooked on induction, yet. Down the road, I would like to try a single burner and see if I like it.
Presently, I have an electric (glass style) cooktop. It does OK.

Correct. It is pretty difficult to ruin them.
@Desert-Dan Anything like ruining the seasoning layer or rusting the pans can be fixed.
For cast iron, I suppose if you drop them, you can crack them. For carbon steel, they are less likely to crack, but they are more likely to warp. If you have a relatively thinner carbon steel like 1mm or 1.5 mm, it can warp until quick temperature change.

Any caution is really for you. Both cast iron and carbon steel will require seasoning, which means hot oil and hot pans will be involved, so if anything you should be careful about yourself and not the pans.

2 Likes

Thank you… Yes, I have already had to re-season my Lodge 12". I’m not sure what I did wrong, but there was an area (on the cooking surface) that looked grey vs. black, so I just re-seasoned it.
Funny story… My girlfriend came into the kitchen while I had the Lodge in the oven for re-seasoning. I had the timer set for an hour. She thought I was cooking something yummy for her and was so disappointed when she learned I was seasoning a pan. :frowning_face:

1 Like

These can warp cast iron if you do something stupid like leaving an empty pan on high heat for too long (which I accidentally did not too long ago). It is still usable, but not perfectly flat like it once was. (c;

And I’m sure I’ll make that mistake, as well.
I have one older non-stick pan that is warped in the center, but I keep it around for melting sugar when I make homemade peanut brittle.

If you are considering Staub or LC, both of which are expensive and not very good at conducting heat evenly, you are in a price range where heavy tin lined copper from Etsy or eBay is within reach. I would strongly recommend a tinned copper pan for most things and a carbon steel pan for high heat things like steaks. Tin has a good bit of nonstick property. Carbon steel seasons easily. It usually has a long, angled handle, making it easier to handle than the typical cast iron pan which is heavy and has a stubby horizontal handle.

2 Likes

Really? I didn’t even know it is possible to warp a cast iron pan like Lodge.

Can either or both the tinned copper pan or the carbon steel pan go into the oven for finishing certain items??
As an example, I start my breaded chicken livers on the cooktop, let them brown slightly, then finish them in the oven.
Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Here is a thought. Next time when your girlfriend standing next to your cast iron pan. Just say.
“Hey baby, you are beautiful” and then turn to your girlfriend and say “Oh, you are not too bad too”

4 Likes

I don’t think that would go over so well…
I’m picturing her grabbing that cast iron pan and wacking me in head with it.

2 Likes

Yes. I think many cookware can go into the oven… a lot of the limitations have to do with the “weakest” part of the cookware. For example, if you have a Le Creuset Dutch Oven with a plastic knob, then the plastic knob will be what is holding you back. So you may want to install a metal knob.

If you have a carbon steel with a rubber handle, then you should consider to take the rubber handle sleeve off before baking in the oven…etc…etc.

1 Like

Sure. The delicacy of tinned copper is IME greatly oversold. As long as there is food in it can even go into an oven hotter than the melting point of tin, 449.5F.

2 Likes

Yup… leave it on high, empty, getting ready to sear some beef… and forget about it due to some other things to do (and probably too many cocktails).

Chem you’re so romantic if I ever need relationship advice I am going to page you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For a terrific shape for both stovetop and oven, you might consider a rondeau. A gratin can also handle both but will lack a lid.

1 Like