Pomegranate Molasses - what do you do with it?

I bought a bottle of pomegranate molasses and have a few recipes I’d like to try, but was wondering what others do with it. How do you, @gracieggg and others like to use it?

3 Likes

This was the first thing I’ve done with it, but it is really lovely on it’s own. I think it would be really nice on roasted veggies or grilled steak. Mixed into a vinaigrette for salads or over bugler? I’m very curious about what others use it for too!

3 Likes

A friend makes Shrimp & Bean Salad with Pomegranate Molasses Dressing.

I was also thinking about making Muhammara. Here’s a recipe. Idk if I’ll use this one but it gives you an idea of what’s in it.

6 Likes

YUM! On both of those things. Thanks!

1 Like

i’ve used it in vinaigrettes but yes, usually as a marinade with chicken or pork.

1 Like

It’s great on pork or lamb (especially in stews), and in vinaigrettes or marinades. Add it to lemonade and club soda for a spritzer, or drizzle into an iced tea; drizzled on roasted veggies (roasted onions or shallots and asparagus is a good one, or on roasted carrots).

10 Likes

In a drink! Oh wow that sounds tasty. I’m going to try it in seltzer tonight. Thanks for that suggestion.

4 Likes

Nice, nice, nice & nice! :relaxed:

1 Like

A classic use of pom molasses is Fesenjan.

But you can really use it anywhere you’d use an aged / syrupy balsamic vinegar - or an intense berry syrup.

ETA:
Fesenjan/fesenjoon (NYT has 2 recipes but this one looks good)
Zahav lamb

Turkish kisr (like tabbouleh) is also wonderful with pom molasses - there’s a great recipe in Dagdeviren’s book, or there’s this one from Ottolenghi.

11 Likes

ah yes, Fesenjan! glad you reminded us of this wonderful dish…

2 Likes

I tried that! It was perfect for me.

2 Likes

Delicious photo.

2 Likes

Everyone else beat me to the punch with their uses.

I also used it in the spicy tomato sauce I posted above. I use it on gyro meat as shown but I also make a lamb bolognese that I serve over toasted pita. I sometimes add it to my baba ganoush and/or hummus. I think somewhere I have a cocktail recipe using pomegranate molasses. I’ve had to cut back on my use of salt and will add a dash to stews in lieu of balsamic vinegar or lemon if I want to lean more Middle Eastern.

Once my oven get fixed, I think I’m going to try and get The Sprout to bake cookies with pomegranate molasses. I think the it would add a nice tang to traditional molasses cookies.

ETA - DANG!! I didn’t scroll down far enough again. So many great ideas here!!!

10 Likes

So are yours!!!

P.S. I love bolognese and sauces on breads & chips…even more than pasta. :shushing_face:

1 Like

LAMB!
And another famous and with less complex seasoning, this from Bay Area’s Narsai David. I jsub half pom molasses + half water for the pom juice called for in his recipe.

4 Likes

Has to be duck or goose for me.

Have made with both duck and goose a few times. Also tried sweet-sour cherries. Photo below is a wild duck (has a strong smell, unlike farm raised kind).

Same idea but with fresh cherries

Got the idea from a NZ food mag some years back:

Read the label carefully. I find Iranian* brands tend to have the most pomegranate. Most others have very little. (*Or maybe all things Iranian are banned in the US? I don’t know…)

3 Likes

A Bolognese “sloppy Joe” (usually just a scoop of sauce served open-faced on a buttered slice of crusty bread) is one of my favorite things on earth. Who needs pasta when you can have bread?

3 Likes

It also makes a fantastic ingredient in cocktails - I like it paired with gin, or anything sparkling (prosecco, etc.).

3 Likes

Not me! :grin:

2 Likes

I tend to sub pomegranate molasses anytime honey (which is generally too sweet for me) is called for. I love it mixed with Dijon and/or seeded mustard as a glaze on meats or poultry.

7 Likes