Plantains, what’s you fav recipe?

I might quit tater fries for those beauties!

1 Like

Just the slightest hint of sweetness, which was well received, even by husband, who likes them green. I cooked them like this.

2 Likes

Reviving this to add this indian plantain cutlet recipe I made this week.

(Farcha / Parsi fried chicken was my favorite parsi dish growing up, and I still seek it out!)

Meherwan Irani (of Spicewalla and ChaiPani) is one of very few chefs who I enjoy following - imho he manages to cater to his mostly non-indian audience without losing the indian authenticity of either his dishes or his self. It’s a delicate balance, and very commendable.

I used double the aromatics and spices, and added lots of cilantro. Also swapped egg for cornstarch slurry (don’t like an eggy taste in vegetarian preps like this).

Really nice change from the tostones I usually make.

5 Likes

Hopefully at least someone can see this. It’s NYT, but I think they sometimes have free content.

The Joy of Plantains

The Gloriously Versatile Plantain https://nyti.ms/3jxvxIw

1 Like

Thanks - reminded me of how much I used to enjoy Sancocho, which was a weekly staple at the cafeteria of my first job.

1 Like

I’ve never tried cooking plantains at home even though I love them (tostones…drool…).
Question – do you really need one of those tostone presses, or are there good alternatives for someone who doesn’t want yet another single purpose kitchen tool in the house?

1 Like

Cuban Platanos Verdes

Buy green plantains
Remove outer peel
Slice, not too thin and not too thick
Pour Evoo or whatever oil you wish to sauté in
Let oil get hot
Place the plantain slices in the skillet
Sauté until golden and sprinkle some salt on the slices
Now, using a slotted spoon, remove the plantain slices
Drain the oil from this batch of plantains on paper towels
Now, take a STONE (ROCK) and press the slices
Re-sauté in hot oil until golden and lightly crispy

1 Like

I don’t have one, and I make plantains several times a year. But not always tostones. When I make tostones, I smash with the side of a cleaver or meat pounder sort of like this ( I have one without a handle).

Or this

1 Like

I’ve used a tortilla press

1 Like
3 Likes

Uh oh…that sounds amazingballs (as they are fond of saying on My Kitchen Rules)… I have just about 1/4 cup of panela.

1 Like

Do it!

1 Like

Puerto Rican and Cuban food uses a lot of plantains also. A few easy favorites; If they super ripe I make maduros But if they’re firm and green, definitely I go for the tostone. Here is my favorite recipe

1 Like

I use a big stone from the terrace …

A Cuban friend had told me years and years ago …

I’ve got two black ones I really need to use.

Plátanos En Tentación sounds perfect!

The other recipes I have found don’t have coconut milk.

The years I lived in Ecuador, I ate fewer fries from potato. Fried, smashed, fried again plantains are the sht. Love a mofongo, too. Still the potato selection in N S. American is mind bending. Potato for almost every purpose.

1 Like

Does anyone have a mofongo recipe that is awesome and not in back of a paywall?

Linking Caribbean Cuisine of the quarter for more plantains.

Apparently I like plantain cakes of all kinds - made them with Mofongo too :joy:

2 Likes

Wait…I don’t see the Carribean cuisine of the quarter. Am i missing something?

The link is to the plantain cakes I posted in that thread - I didn’t post a separate link to the top :joy: