Plantains, what’s you fav recipe?

I plan on trying these. Didn’t get to it today.

1 Like

Mofungo all the way. With green plantains and cuchifritos and a LOT of garlic.

2 Likes

My local Caribbean/Puerto Rican place makes killer tostones, with a fabulous garlicky dipping sauce. I’m assuming this is from green plantains, as they are not sweet at all, and I assume they wouldn’t hold their shape as well if you try to fry them when they are ripe and sweet.

4 Likes

Correct on all counts!

2 Likes

Remember our trip to San Juan PR. I order mofongo where ever we went to see the variations in prep then made it several times at home until my wife said NO MORE MOFONGO. I’m like this is how you learn…yeah right

2 Likes

I’m sorry my brain cannot process this idea. :smiley:

1 Like

yep, they should look like this:

and when cooked, like this:

10 Likes

I had a delicious Mofongo with mashed green plantains, big chunks of pork and caramelized onions earlier this year.

6 Likes

Perfect. I like them that way! I can sit and eat 2 ripe if not 3 rpe plantains cooked that way!

3 Likes

that looks incredible.

2 Likes

Sure does

1 Like

Yes! Here are some I made with conchinita (sp?) pibil last summer.

Unfortunately husband much prefers them green.

7 Likes

Theyre cheap, and maduros cook quickly. Make them foe yourself

2 Likes

PERFECT!!!

and that cochinita! this whole thing looks fabulous.

1 Like

Love long plaintain chips. There was a cuban restaurant that served them warm with garlic butter - a lot of garlic. So good!

4 Likes

I think after reading these experienced cooked recipes, I’m starting out exactly with a crinkle cut dbl fry with garlic aioli and or toum. Just in time for wknd company and outdoor eats.

2 Likes

Are you deep frying green plantains?

Can’t imagine doing a crinkle cut on a ripe one

1 Like

Cooks just had their recipe on Insta (no paywall through the insta link). Mandoline, long slices.

The sauce I’m thinking of is garlic mojo. Yummmm.

1 Like

Yes, green. I have had dishes that used ripe plantains. This thread has been interesting. I’m learning a lot about prep and I’m clear on which type to buy for each dish.

1 Like

“Garlicky Plantains”

3 Likes