Plantains, what’s you fav recipe?

I’m still at the recipe using stage! In pastelon, the spices are in the picadillo; This one has cumin, cloves, and oregano, as well as raisins and worcestershire sauce.

placeholder. Thanks @shrinkrap.

1 Like

holding here.

1 Like

I’m saving that one too!

1 Like

I love yellow plantains that are ripe, even super ripe just sliced diagonally and pan fried in olive oil. They are usually very sweet
If they are ripe enough, I will still pan fry them if I cannot wait for them to ripen, but then, I would add a bit of demerera sugar towards the end, let the sugar melt and sometimes a splash of liquor.
Another recipe called Turon in the Philippine is to wrap them with super thin wheat lumpia wrappers,( spring roll wrappers- not the kind made here ini US ut the imported ones from the Philippines) and if desired, split the plantain longitudinally and add a tablespoon full of macapuno-string which is a hybrid coconut) Pan fried till crisp it is out of this world.
One other way to eat is called banana cue- this is roasting the plantain on an open fire using skewer after it is rolled in brown sugar. This requires a not too ripe plantan

3 Likes

Here’s an old thread about puree de platano maduro.

1 Like

thanks for linking, I didnt find it doing a search before writing the post.

@Rooster

PLANTAIN (PLATANO MACHO) Chips, Spanish Extra virgin Olive Oil. (Served with an appetiser of Ceviche) & Pisco Sours or a glass of White wine of choice.

3 Likes

Minced plantains shaped into a tortilla sized round, fried and then layered with your fav taco filling combo is on the home cue for this weekend. I’m planning a fresh flavored filling mix of red onion, grilled corn, mini peppers, cheese. Lots of lime.

2 Likes

The plantains need to be super ripe. The skin should be black. They will look like they should be thrown out! Then there is so much sugar in the fruit that it will caramelize nicely when fried.

2 Likes

The recipe I was given uses only slightly ripe plantains and turned into a flavorful mix that can be shaped into large rounds and then fried. Used in place of corn or flour tortillas.

1 Like

Plantains are quite versatile! You had asked about caramelizing for Maduros. This is how I learned to do it from my Cuban neighbor when I was a child.

3 Likes

Those are called tostones.

A local Cubam restaurant makes enormous tostones and puts a hamburger between them. Its shamefully good.

3 Likes

Thanks.

I plan on trying these. Didn’t get to it today.

1 Like

Mofungo all the way. With green plantains and cuchifritos and a LOT of garlic.

2 Likes

My local Caribbean/Puerto Rican place makes killer tostones, with a fabulous garlicky dipping sauce. I’m assuming this is from green plantains, as they are not sweet at all, and I assume they wouldn’t hold their shape as well if you try to fry them when they are ripe and sweet.

4 Likes

Correct on all counts!

2 Likes

Remember our trip to San Juan PR. I order mofongo where ever we went to see the variations in prep then made it several times at home until my wife said NO MORE MOFONGO. I’m like this is how you learn…yeah right

2 Likes

I’m sorry my brain cannot process this idea. :smiley:

1 Like