Philly Cheese Steaks

Now if you order a pizza steak that generally comes with provolone (though I always felt it should be mozz).

I’m sorry, I would refuse that for a provolone samich.

That fits this sandwich perfectly, I would think. Then mushrooms, onions, peppers. I bet I have one little ribeye that would should be enough for 2 samiches, one for me, and one for the the boss.

1 Like

You can slice the beef more thinly if you partially freeze it. I use top round because it is tasty and relatively inexpensive. I make my own rolls–simple Italian bread. In Philly, the cheese of choice is Cheez Whiz, but I prefer provolone. Fried onions, peppers, and mushrooms are, in my opinion, essential. For the record, I grew up in northern Delaware which is Philly area.

1 Like

I must strongly disagree. I have lived in Philly all my life (save a few tears in the 80s) and have never been served a cheesesteak with Wiz. To my knowledge, that’s only for tourist traps and sports arenas.

2 Likes

From Wikipedia: " Cheese

American cheese, provolone, and Cheez Whiz are the most commonly used cheeses or cheese products put on to the Philly cheesesteak.

"White American cheese, along with provolone cheese, are the favorites due to their mild flavor and medium consistency. Some establishments melt the American cheese to achieve the creamy consistency, while others place slices over the meat, letting them melt slightly under the heat. Philadelphia Inquirer restaurant critic Craig LaBan says, “Provolone is for aficionados, extra-sharp for the most discriminating among them.” Geno’s owner, Joey Vento, said, “We always recommend the provolone. That’s the real cheese.”

“Cheez Whiz, first marketed in 1952, was not yet available for the original 1930 version, but has spread in popularity. A 1986 article called Cheez Whiz “the sine qua non of cheesesteak connoisseurs.” In a 1985 interview, Pat Olivieri’s nephew Frank Olivieri said that he uses “the processed cheese spread familiar to millions of parents who prize speed and ease in fixing the children’s lunch for the same reason, because it is fast.” Cheez Whiz is “overwhelmingly the favorite” at Pat’s, outselling runner-up American by a ratio of eight or ten to one, while Geno’s claims to go through eight to ten cases of Cheez Whiz a day.”

You and I agree on a lot with this. Yeah, I always heard, if you want it thin, half freeze.

I would categorize Pat’s and Geno’s as tourist traps and late-night stops for drunken college students. (Though as drunken college students my friends and I preferred Steve’s or Jim’s.)

3 Likes

A drunk college kid from outside Philly prolly goes Pat or Geno. Phillies in the know go Steve or Jim. Perfect after-bar food.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Actually, in northern Delaware, cheesesteaks were almost always served with provolone.

2 Likes

In some counties in PA they’re served with … marinara. Wut.

1 Like

Some counties in PA belong in Alabama.

2 Likes

Pretty much all of them between Philly and PGH. Pennsyltucky all the way.

3 Likes

A pizza steak . . . provolone and marinara. Standard on most menus but certainly not the default when ordering a cheesesteak. But as has been said: Pennsylvania–Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, Alabama in between.

3 Likes

I was held hostage at this famous emporium. I forget if it was Pat’s or the other one. Oh yeah, Geno’s. My keepers forbade me from ordering special. I was required to consume the worshipped version.

1 Like

Well, I went 35 years ago … and it was a business lunch :joy:

1 Like

That can fall into the tourist category too . . . except you aren’t really given the option to attend or not.

1 Like

I’d come in by train. Fleeing was out of the question.

2 Likes

Uff! What a sad deal. "No, no, no! Ya gotta try the whiz. I can just taste the nasty veg oil and discarded cheddar amongst ribeye. Hurts to hear.

It hurt even more to taste it! I was horrified. The local sub and pizza place near my old office made better cheesesteaks! (with actual cheese, of course). I’m making myself hungry. …