Patty Melt Philosophy

*No not “Know”.

I like that HO gives you time to edit without that darn red pencil showing up. But they also lock editing after a time. :unamused:

I spent freshman year of college (1976) in a trailer park located at Manchester and Florence, across from the Guadelajara de la Noche Bar. (Cars in the lot playing La Cucaracha on their horns). The mongolian BBQ joint across Manchester was featured in Mulholland Drive. I guess they were looking for that iconic arm-pit of LA vibe. Watching 747s cross Manchester was awesome! The donuts at Randy’s were pretty swell too but I don’t think it was called Randy’s. Can someone set me straight on that?

2 Likes

Awesome!

Mullholland Drive is one of my favorite movies. I’m going to look for that Mongolian BBQ spot. Randy’s has been Randy’s as long as I can remember, but I’ll ask around. :wink:

Fun stuff!

1 Like

I loved Kate Mantellini’s. I would get a bowl of clam chowder and a lemon tart. Every. Single. Time.

2 Likes

No on the 1000 Island, save that for a reuben. The way this sandwich gets done wrong around here (Texas) is the bread. PM is not a PM without rye bread, full stop.

Nonetheless such staple locations as Whataburger offer a “Patty Melt” on Texas Toast. That’s not a Patty Melt, call it something else.

Strangely, the last great PM I had was at a local IHOP. It is no longer on the menu. Great drippy meat and cheese on buttered and griddled rye. Well done, a pox on you for removing it from the menu.

1 Like

I know it wasn’t called Randy’s when I first saw it a bazillion years ago but this Wikipedia article says it was called “BIG DONUTS”. That doesn’t sound right either though I could just be getting old.

2 Likes

[quote=“Lambowner, post:45, topic:9514”]
Great drippy meat and cheese on buttered and griddled rye.
[/quote]Stop that! You’re making me really hungry.

Big Donuts.That could be right. But then again I didn’t make a fetish of that place. I recall the best place for donuts was in Santa Monica (at Santa Monica and Bundy in that little triangle?) Can’t recall the name but people would line up at opening time for the buttermilk donuts. This in the era of jeans so tight we had to lay down on the floor to zip them up. Yowza!

2 Likes

Yes and when you do check out the Guadalajara bar across the street. I don’t think I’m getting it right. ‘Guadelajara de la Noche’ is too elegant. It wasn’t an elegant place. :wink:

All the apartments around the airport had names like Mar-Dan and Ray-Lu.

1 Like

My wife says it WAS called “Big” Donuts before it was Randy’s, which it apparently became in the mid-'70s.

1 Like

Never heard of patty melts before. I want to make one, but first I wanted to understand the nuances of a patty melt versus a cheeseburger. From what I can tell, the primary difference is the bread: grilled rye bread or other toast for patty melts versus buns for cheeseburgers. What else? Should the patty be a square shape? I’ve seen Thousand Island and grilled onions on burgers.

This should help:

1 Like

[quote=“bmorecupcake, post:51, topic:9514”]
From what I can tell, the primary difference is the bread
[/quote]Not exactly. The burger patty is not thick and round. It should be flat, a little thinner and shaped to fit the rye bread.

1 Like

My thought as well. I always equate a patty melt with a thin-ish patty which will not overwhelm the bread

3 Likes

also no lettuce, tomato, mustard etc. Just cheese and onions.

3 Likes

For my wife those are the best part of a burger. She’s never been a patty melt fan for that reason, but does enjoy a tuna melt now and then.

1 Like