Palm Beach County

Congrats on the new digs! Sorry I didn’t have a chance to write back; I was down there unexpectedly for 2 weeks, as my dad had a (TG) mild stroke the morning I was heading down (planned months ago). Thankfully he bounced back rather quickly, but I stayed to make sure he could drive and handle things on his own–came home yesterday.
If there’s anything specific you’re looking for food-wise down there, he’s THE guy to ask, so just let me know! He drives all over to find the good stuff. (It’s in my DNA…) :slight_smile:
Evie

2 Likes

Great to hear your dad is ok…
I have had a home in this area for the last 12 years…so this was just a change of venue, from the old house to the new…Moved my mom into the old house with help… she is 90+…so all is well…
Although I am a little south of you, not real familiar what is up in WPB, but I still love to explore new places…

1 Like

Ah…I knew you were down there on a regular basis but didn’t realize you owned a place! He goes down to/near Boca for legit dim sum, I know that (because he raves about the chicken feet), but that’s the only place much further south other than The Eagle that I know about–but he definitely has places, as he has friends down that way.

1 Like

E,
Actually when I first came down here in the late 90’s it was a culinary wasteland…hence 30 years later there are some great places and some meh…
Hit or miss as such I enjoy your recommendation of EAGLE…it was a hit!
As such I am open meaning …thanks for your remembrance I am even down here!!!
Perhaps we can do an HO…meet up with HO’S or Just us and your folks…would love it…
Keep me posted Curlz!!!

2 Likes

So perhaps some southern comfort food… or some beach fare…or maybe some local Mexican? ju.nevr.no?

1 Like

Hmm. Southern food definitely isn’t his thing but I’ll ask him about Mexican!

Mexican recs:
Tacos al Carbon gets high marks.

For plated food, there’s a chain he likes called Anita’s Mexican Grill and another place called Guadalajara (no website, but 905 Federal Hwy, Lake Park, FL 33403), but he says he hasn’t found good ‘upscale’ Mexican.

In Delray, he loves J&J Seafood and a place called Frank’s but he can’t remember the full name–just that “when the main road goes from 2 lanes to 1, the restaurant is at 1 o’clock on the side street.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve found a couple of barbecue places – Off the Bone in West Palm and Troy’s in Boynton Beach. Both are reviewed at johntannersbbqblog

1 Like

We’ve stayed in Palm Beach Shores or Riviera Bech for years now. We only recently discovered Cod and Capers, a nice seafood market cum restaurant that we really liked. We go to U Tiki and the Reef Grill a lot. Leftovers and Little Moir’s are casual and usually very good – both run by the same people. I’ve reviewed all except the last two on my non-commercial blog, https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com, so you can go there for details. Frankly, we’ve been migrating over to Marco Island on the west coast. The food there is much better, thanks to a nearby fishing village and an abundance of stone crabs, and then there are the sunsets. Note: I rarely go super high end on restaurants.

1 Like

Greetings from NJ!

My dad(who gave me my foodie genes) is in WPB and I’ve been going there for more than a decade; when a fellow member of the NJ board was on Singer Island, he was looking for places to eat, so we now have a discussion of our favorite spots in the vicinity of WPB on this thread on the NJ board.

We’re far more active on the NJ board, so at the request of @johntannerbbq I’m sharing!

1 Like

As a further resource for folks in Palm Beach County, there are about a dozen places reviewed on my blog – https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/?s=Palm Most but not all are up in the northern end. If you’re in the southern part of the county, here are a couple of good places in northern Broward. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/?s=broward

2 Likes

Just realized that I forgot to mention a new find! While I didn’t get there this trip, I discovered there’s an outpost of Pig Beach in WPB now… We were going to go for lunch before I headed home, but they were closed on Monday.

I’ve been to the original location in Brooklyn - with a bunch of chefs and people from Food Network. The BBQ was DELICIOUS.

1 Like

Excellent!

1 Like

We were just in Palm Beach County, and lane to stop by but COVID intervened. We did get a chance to go to the very engaging Grato in WPB, where ordering the whole left side of the menu (for 6) led to a wonderful, fun dinner. Alas, no photos (one of the couples were strangers so I didn’t photograph anything).
Also great meals a the Sailfish Marina on the water in Palm Beach Shores, and a stunning dinner at the Pelican Cafe in Lake Park. I’ve posted odd my blog and still post here when I get my act together post-COVID. Driving back was hell, having to whiz past all of those green local places on my list.

1 Like

A few photos from the Sailfish Marina

that’s the ceviche

the blackened mahi sandwich

fish tacos
And from the Pelican Cafe, which has blue-ish lighting that affects the photos, the seafood fry diabolo

2 Likes

I just added to this thread on the NJ board because I’m back down here… Also need to mention a favorite spot called Alaina’s - bakery and cafe. Great sandwiches/salads for lunch! cc: @NotJrvedivici

2 Likes

Enjoying my post holidays siesta in Singer Island. Tonight I had a wonderful meal at The Butcher’s Club @ PGA National in West Palm.

Not only an excellent meal but excellent service from reservations to hostess’s and server. Started with their non-traditional Ceaser salad, almost a lemon vinaigrette, different but delicious.

16oz boneless prime dry aged ribeye. Charred broccolini, truffle jalapeños poppers, crab Mac n cheese and bernaise.

Delicious!

3 Likes

Do I see pistachios with that broccoli rabe?? Thought so.

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

I’m back and have a new DELICIOUS spot to recommend: La Vie Restaurant - Authentic Lebanese and Mediterranean Cuisine. My dad had already been there and was excited for me to try it, and I can see why. 3 of us had a yummy late lunch today. We had baba ganoush that we all loved–esp smoky, an order of kibbe, an arugula and beet salad w falafel, and my absolute favorite, Makanek, which are small sausages (think breakfast link size) sautéed in lemon and olive oil and garlic. The last time I had these was at the spectacular illili in NYC, so I knew this had to be a legit restaurant - they didn’t disappoint.

Would love to get back for tagine (maybe w/o the belly dancing offered Wed-Sat nights, buy ymmv) and to try a bunch of heartier dishes, but it’s 87 and sunny here and that’s when I find it harder to eat like that! If you’re down here and appreciate this cuisine, GO. Like everything in this part of FL, it’s casual and in a small strip mall.