Singer Island - West Palm Area HELP !!!!

Ok my apologies for my delay thank you everyone for your suggestions. Obviously business and personal obligations during the trip took up some of my leisure time, but I did get in a lot of good meals.

First up: Carmines W. Palm Beach
Carmines Italian Restaurant | Carmines La Trattoria | Carmines

An Italian market and restaurant this was an old favorite of my parents so we had to go here. I had the veal parm chop, delicious as was their red sauce though I would have preferred it pounded a little thinner.

Next Up: Farmers Table (compliments of @CurlzN)
(web site not working?)

This was probably the biggest surprise dinner of the trip. (sorry culz I should never have doubted you) This was a great meal. From the “signature” pea soup to the short rib it was delicious. Some other pics: Son taco’s app (they were huge, and he only ate one) Daughter’s avocado and cucumber salad - poke bowl - Mahi Mahi fantastic (is it still farmers table if they have fish? Shouldn’t it be farmer & fisherman’s-table?) Anyhow my daughter ordered a mushroom pizza, this was friggin fantastic!!!

Next:
Gianni’s of Pompano
Contact & Reservations | Gianni’s Italian Restaurant | Pompano Beach, FL (giannisitalianrestaurant.com)

Wife’s

This might become my Carmine’s. I LOVED this place, reminded me of Jimmy’s in Asbury Park, NJ. Old pic’s on the walls of the owner with celebrities of the 60s - 70’s - 80’s…just an old school red sauce Italian restaurant.

I ordered the veal chop pizziola. I was hoping for it to be loaded with peppers and onions, but they were scant on the dish, it still didn’t take away from the flavor or quality of the chop. Even though I wasn’t thrilled with my meal, it didn’t make it bad by any means. From their house salad to the HUGE garlic knots and fresh homemade bread they serve, this place is old school Italian and we loved it.

Lastly: Okeechobee Steakhouse - Okeechobee Fla. (this won over Flagler Steakhouse, which was my pick, but the limited menu was shot down by the wife and daughter)
Okeechobee Steakhouse (okeesteakhouse.com)

Bread pudding for dessert

This is as it should be, pricy and excellent. Son and I split a porterhouse for 2 (prime) and the wife and daughter split a stuffed shrimp and we ordered a bunch of sides. (Dinner came with a wedge salad which I neglected to take a pic) The service was excellent and the pride in their workmanship was excellent. Truly a splendid experience, which is what you expect at this price point.

Notable mention:
Johnny Longboats - Singer Island Fla
OUR STORY | Johnny Longboats
This is literally closer to my resort than the men’s room to my office. The next building over is the strip mall that contains Johnny Longboats, and this too was a favorite for my parents. I didn’t get pics but everything was fine. It’s a family friendly restaurant serving good food at good prices. They were unfortunately out of their signature dish, grouper in a bag.

That’s the highlights of my post holiday’s covid and after 15 inches of snow get away work-cation for the family. (both my adult children remote work still so they didn’t take any time off working either from the resort or poolside as the opportunity presented itself. My wife and I both being self-employed told our staff, but no clients we were leaving. Essential calls forwarded to cell; emails returned. any appointments rescheduled for this week!!! Nothing to see here!!

Funny side note: I guess I’m getting to the age I’m now “old-school” and I’m “ok” with that. I never in a million years thought we were going on lockdown due to covid, and as self employed I made -0- preparation for it. Just never thought it could happen, but when it did, I gave my office manager a limited amount of time (1 week?) to come up with a remote work infrastructure and guess what?
2 years limited investment and we haven’t looked back. The lights in half the office remain off, desks still sit empty and my staff I haven’t seen face to face since. It’s worked fine!!!

By old school I meant I still believe(d) in personal meetings - face to face - shaking hands - explanations etc. etc. Never did I think it was right, or possible, that people would sign financial disclosures via email (secure obviously) and just send them back!!! lol

I use to drive all over the state 2- 3 nights a week to meet with clients - hand deliver certain documents and spend endless hours providing what I thought was “superior client service”. Now I personally meet with a 2-3 people per month and everything else is done vial email and clients can care less!!! LMAO

Life is good my friends…best wishes all.

17 Likes

I was surprised how good Johnny Longboat’s is - especially after a visit under different management some years ago. Their grouper is quite good. And I had a good carry out sandwich from Carmines and thought it was pretty good. We focus on seafood when we’re there, or the Cuban food at Havana. Favorite seafood places are Cod and Capers and Captain Charlie’s Reef Grill.

2 Likes

So glad you found some good eats down here! I find that the good places are GOOD, the others are… MEH. And there’s a ton of MEH.

Here’s the link to Farmer’s Table in North Palm Beach in case anyone else is looking for it. I had a Mahi wrap for lunch one day and it was delicious! Dinner menu is definitely larger and good to know about it, as I’ve only been there during the day.

I agree about Johnny Longboat’s; it’s consistently good for what it is. I actually had a decent burger from there when I was down here over Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

Didn’t want to start another Florida thread but I think we have a few snowbirds here. Any intel on a nice place in Ft. Myers area for my mom’s 80th birthday? There will be about a dozen of us.

1 Like

You may luck out on here, but since Ft Myers is literally across the state from W Palm, you may have better luck on the FL board! HBD to Mom!

2 Likes

Thanks we are/were from Broward county so am a little familiar with the area. Just not the “nicer” places.

2 Likes

Putting this here because the FL board is um…lacking…and at least I have all of my FL/WPB-area recs in one place for my fellow NJ HOs!
I’m down here (yes, in July) visiting my dad and we had lunch today that was DELICIOUS, so I wanted to document it… went to Lemongrass Asian Bistro, which has a few locations between WPB/Boca.
Dad and I always go for duck, and today we ordered the exact same lunch special: duck in red curry. This is a common dish but when I tell you neither of us left a drop of it in the bowl, you’ll have to believe me. The steamed veggie dumplings were terrific (w bright baby peas inside!) and for $57, three of us ate well. I hear that the fish/veggies were good too, but I had my face in the bowl of curry. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My son took a job in WPB. Will have to remember to review this thread before I visit.

1 Like

Perhaps this entire thread could be bumped over to the Florida board. Having it on the NJ board is kind of … suboptimal. Is that possible?

Thanks much for the lemongrass report. We’ll be in Delray briefly around the turn of the year and I’m eager to find better places there. We’ve got lots of good places farther north, but not around Delray.

1 Like

Ah, I see there still is no Florida board. Could it be bumped to the Rest of the World board?

I think I’ll add a link to this thread on one of the Florida boards. For now, there are plenty of NJ folks looking for info from people they know!

2 Likes

Ah, but think of the rest of the world, deprived of that expertise!

Now linked to the PB County thread - the last post on there was by you! In Aug 2020. No wonder there’s no FLA board! Just not a ton of activity in terms of posting.

1 Like

Adding to the list: Pho 1 at 2800 N Military Trail #117 i WPB… YUM!!

2 Likes

Just came back to this thread so I could offer recs to a friend, and realized I didn’t include one of our go-to spots: The Butcher Shop, which is in downtown WPB. Loud, casual, some outdoor seating, and the last time I was there, live music on the patio. Great spot!

1 Like

I escaped NJ just in time yesterday, and since we tried a new spot that was excellent, I’m adding it to this thread - Kao Gang Thai Sushi & Noodle. The place was hopping at 6pm, which I originally attributed to FL/early birds, but the constant line of people waiting until we left made me realize that going a tad early is the only way to get a table without a 30-min wait on a Friday night!

Food was excellent - we had the Thai dumplings (which I dubbed Thai Shumai), my dad had the Super Noodle Bowl w duck and it was GINORMOUS; literally serving bowl sized. I had the Duck Pad Cha (med spice which was spicy but I looooved it), and Dad’s aide had the crab cakes, which she loved. DEF recommend this spot! Leftovers for lunch for the duck lovers today… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And of course Dad wants to know if I’ve told you all about Alaina’s, which is another favorite spot of ours. Looks like I hadn’t, so there you go!

2 Likes

Thanks! great to know. We’ll be down there in March, although we’ll have 4 and 6 years olds this time. I’ll have to check and see if they have chicken nuggets. Alaina’s looks like a better bet

The Butcher Block (one of our favorites) has closed…

Always people with kids at Alaina’s! Maybe it’s the promise of a cookie/cupcake after the meal… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Whoops! Wrong thread!

1 Like