Oh Good Lord, Just Got a Monster Shipment of Wild Alaskan Currants!

Just received a huge batch of wild Alaskan currants from my bro and SIL. I haven’t weighed them yet but probably about 30 pounds. I have my jam and syrup making work cut out for me. I will freeze them for now (they’re still partially frozen) since I don’t have time to deal with them now.

Hand picked in Chickaloon, Alaska, about 200 miles from Mt Denali and approximately 300 miles from Fairbanks. Gorgeous place. Pics later when I wrap my mind around the sheer quantity. May make a currant fool for dessert.

7 Likes

Red or black?

They’re actually almost blueberry color, with a little more red, and also about the size of blueberries. They look unlike the currants I see occasionally at the green market. A delicate fruit with a short season. They were starting to thaw a bit, so double bagged and put in freezer without tasting. Will post pics tomorrow and let you know how they taste. Will do a little research on them tonight as well. I’m pretty curious about them.

1 Like

Maybe they’re huckleberries? Currants have bigger seeds iirc. All delicious!

I’d offer to buy some but I’m not sure what I’d do with them, either :joy:

My brother makes pancake syrup from the sour berries. His are deep blueish red.

Wow! I have no experience but I’m thinking fermenting some to alcohol.

Blackcurrant wine is the best of the fruit wines

1 Like

Yes! They are extremely high in antioxidants too. Was wondering about a currant margarita or a cocktail with the juice, some Prosecco, and a little elderflower liqueur. Or maybe gin, juice, Prosecco and St Germain. Maybe some experimentation is in order. I will probably turn most of them into jams, jellies and syrups though. @shrinkrap, are you back from your trip?

1 Like

Did a little research on them and they are a type of trailing black currant it seems. They are supposed to be quite tart and do in fact have seeds. They’ll be going in the chinois.

2 Likes

All in the name of science, right? I also wonder how a splash of that juice would taste added to sparkling water or tea (hot or iced)?

The notion occurs to me because in the summer, my favorite coffee shop will make me an iced green tea with a bit of raspberry or blackberry syrup.

Cheers!

1 Like

Of course, just for science I will sacrifice @tomatotomato! We often add Pom juice to our sparkling waters, sure the currant would be good, but may need to add a little sugar depending on tartness/astringency. Thanks for that idea! The ETOH definitely more fun though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am on my way back, but on a long layover in Istanbul.

Well enjoy the very last bit and hope the whole trip was fantastic!

1 Like

They would make a nice shrub for drinking.

4 Likes

True too or maybe even a nice drinking vinegar. Oooh or maybe just make a nice fruity vinegar - would probably be amazing with walnut oil. Thanks @meatn3 for the suggestion.

Shrub is an old term for a drinking vinegar! It is derived from the Arabic word “sharbah,” which translates as “drink ". Switchel is another old term for a specific drink made with vinegar. It usually had ginger and molasses* added. Around my area it was a traditional drink for people harvesting hay. What is old is new again…

*The choice of sweetener varied by region. Maple syrup was common in the NE.

Wow, interesting all @meatn3! Thanks for the edification - love info like this!!:+1:

1 Like

Here is a thread about shrubs and fruit vinegars from earlier this summer.

1 Like

Thanks, will definitely peruse :blush:

Pic of the currants - 18 lbs, but still a lot. Very sour. Stay tuned. Thawing & trying to press them through thru the chinois now.

3 Likes

Are you processing raw berries? Its usually easier if you cook fruit with a little water and/or sugar to help break down the cells then liquefy mechanically first …