Nonstick Pan Recommendations

To be honest, I ended up buying a very cheap t-fal pan a few weeks ago and it’s been exactly what we need.

3 Likes

I have a Misen non stick fry pan. Hate it. Awful handle with a rubber cover and I’m not crazy about the finish either.

I buy inexpensive non-stick frying pans that I replace on a regular basis. I recently bought a 3 piece set of Amazon’s house brand, Amazon Basics, frying pans . Thin walled (I like thin because of fast heat transfer) the non-stick coating is supposed to be more than one layer and nicely balanced for “flipping”. I’m going to use the 11" exclusively for large omelets. Overall, seems like an excellent value especially at $36.00 for the set. Amazon Basics Hard Anodized Non - Stick 3 - Piece Skillet Set , 8 - Inch , 9.5 - Inch and 11 - Inch , Black

Hmmm, I didn’t get a rubber handle with mine. Now I feel ripped off! The Command hook I had been using to hang up my T-Fal turned out to be not quite strong enough to support the weight of the Missen so it fell to the floor and bent the edge a little but the non-stick surface seems to be intact.

I also bought a T-fal jumbo fryer with glass lid and handle. I use it quite often. I used it this morning to brown veggies in for soup. The I browned ground beef and sausage for lasagna. Now it is being used ot fry a batch of potatoes.

A larger question for everyone.

Have ceramic nonstick pans started to replacing PTFE (Teflon) nonstick pans?

Yes, but not yet completely successfully. Unfortunately they do not last last as long, and they are more sensitive than PTFE pans to degradation. But they are better for the environment.

That’s the same pan we use in our RV, except I bought it with two short side handles so it would fit in our small RV cabinet. It’s a great pan. The last time we went to Kauai the condo we stayed at had non stick in terrible shape, all scratched up and grubby looking, so I went to Walmart and bought the T-fal Jumbo cooker and used it to cook for all 7 of us for the remainder of the visit. At that time it was only $20. A great buy!

1 Like

I’ve just ordered an Alu Pro nonstick frypan. I hope your recommendation pans out. (pun intended). For higher hear sautéing and searing (NOT in a nonstick pan!) I’ve recently begun to use Corto’s La Padella high heat blend of oils. Comes in a box like a box of wine. So far, so good. I also sometimes use EVOO in my frypans, particularly if I want the flavor, and certainly with finishing pasta or doing vegetables . It works for me…I just pay attention to the temperature. I’ve never wrecked a nonstick pan by using too high a heat because, well, I don’t do that. If I want to offer up a burnt offering to the cooking gods, I have plenty of other pans that are up to the task.

1 Like

Let me hear how you like the pan once you get to cook with it.

It’s not perfection, but it’s a darn good pan.

Have you ever had a PTFE pan stop working or lose the nonstick effect? If so, your pans probably were degraded by excess heat. Unless you actually measure the in-pan temperature with every use, you can’t really tell, but the pans that last the longest are those dedicated to very low temperature things like eggs.

Nope. Never. But eggs are about all I do in a nonstick. And then, really, fried eggs, since I can scramble perfectly well in my regular pans. My last nonstick pan was sadly compromised by a cat who likes to walk on my range’s touchpads. He first unlocks the controls by stepping on the lock/unlock button, and then he proceeds to turn on burners and the oven. I just realized that there’s a use for my copper pans on my induction stove. Position them on the burners, so if the fiendish feline turn them on, they’ll turn off. I’m not a big fan of nonstick. I shake my head at people who buy entire sets.

2 Likes

The composition seems that it will perform well on my induction range, regardless of the nonstick…

About 20 years ago I put a Teflon pan on to heat for lunch just as some darned person from Porlock rang the bell and wanted to sell me a new roof. I got back to the kitchen just as the pan was smoking and completely ruined the NS coating.

Luckily the wife and babies weren’t to be back many hours hours and I got the place aired out. A few hours later I got one whale of a fever for the next 3 or 4 hours - 104°F or so.

I find that daily scrambled eggs seem to mess up a NS surface pretty quickly, within a year or so.

Your experience with longevity isn’t atypical. It could be heat, or it could be abrasive wear or both.

Your experience with “Teflon Fever” should be instructive–the ultrafine particulate combustion products of PTFE are extremely toxic.

For Onions with induction, I would recommend the Demeyere ControlInduc fry pans. They self-limit their max temperature to around 485F/250C. This may not be low enough to avoid degradation of the lining, but at least a big safety issue is avoided.

2 Likes

Sigh. I wish you’d mentioned that sooner. I ordered my allu pro pan from Berondi. Had I known, I’d have gone with your suggestion. Oh well -it’s only money. Maybe I’ll revisit Berondi.

Give the Alu Pro pan a test.

Scrambled eggs daily for a year.
Use only silicone utensils.
Don’t overheat the pan, never past 6/10.

Let’s hear from you in 365 days.

1 Like

I got my Demeyere Proline from Berondi. Maybe you can still change the order?

Too late!

I never go above 5 or 6 with scrambled eggs, regardless of the pan! And I only use silicone utensils in my nonstick pans, I don’t care what the manufacturer hypes for indestructibility. I’ll check with my cardiologist, however, about scrambled eggs every day. Lol.

2 Likes