Nonstick Pan Recommendations

Thanks for clarifying.

I’m glad I never bought a Green Pan non stick pan.

My 4 Demeyere Alu Pro non stick pans and my 4 Mauviel M’Stone ceramic pans are still very non stick after years of EV olive oils abuse :laughing:

1 Like

I wonder how much the warning is for real hardcore reasons and how much the warning is for managing customer expectation.

2 Likes

Or voiding the warranty wherever they can (c;

2 Likes

I think this point hits the hammer on the nail.

1 Like

It’s probably both, Chem. There was a CH thread from 2012 on this topic.

These canned sprays are never made up of just the cooking oil. They contain propellants (like propane!), emulsifiers (like lecithin), and anti-foaming agents (like dimethyl silicone).

Here’s what Anolon says: https://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--dSJKrtdi--/kmiwag9gxmtfpo65oeen

As for EVOO, it can be a problem because of it’s lower smoke and flash points. The smoke point can be as low as 325F, which isn’t high enough for a lot of frying tasks. And the flash point can be as low as 410F. Light or refined olive oil has a much higher smoke point, as much as 140F higher than EVOO’s. Reaching or passing the smoke point is a pretty reliable way to degrade the nonstick lining. This is not the only reason frying in EVOO is stupid, but it’s a big one.

PTFE is not as inert or non-reactive as is commonly believed. See, https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acssuschemeng.9b03573 I’ll save you some reading, but some metal ions and carbohydrates in cookware and foodstuffs can react with PTFE and fragment the bonds that make it hydrophobic. Apropos of my thread on microplastics, this study concludes:

“Degradation of PTFE in the presence of metals generated nanoplastics in water… Presence of different metal ions in foodstuff and carbohydrates-induced dissolution of metals from the container could lead to fluorocarbon fragmentation, which may bring plastics into the solution.” Also notable is this happens even at low, i.e., room temperatures.

4 Likes

Agreed about frying, but who fries in a skillet? Sautéing is another animal, and IMHO any pan that says you can’t do that with EVOO is a non-pan.

if you ask 100 people to define the difference between saute and frying, you’ll get 200 expert opinions.

2 Likes

@naf - Perhaps the reason is the same as mine: cast iron needs to be hand-washed, and in our household husband puts everything in the dishwasher. I have exactly ONE cast iron pan and he’s been told to not touch it.

3 Likes

This may me more basic than most on thread need but it does have some interesting info and recommendation. I’ve found Wirecutter’s recommendations to be pretty good in the past

3 Likes

We’re all our own best experts aren’t we ?!?

From actual cooking experience this is my take on what oils I use for making different dishes in different pans.

Basically I own and use 3 types of oils for cooking.
Sesame oil is out since this is used only for flavouring.

Peanut oil refined - I use this for Asian stir fry dishes
Grape seed oil refined - I use this for searing at high temperature
Extra Virgin Olive Oil unrefined - I use this for fast sautéing and for most Italian pasta and vegetable dishes cooked in a sauter pan or frying pan.

I never sear in my non stick pans. They are not ideal for searing in my experience. I mostly use mid to mid-high temperature in my non stick pans, never higher than that in temperature.

I sear in my carbon steel pans or my PLY/Copper pans.

At least half the world’s households and the majority of the world’s restaurants fry in skillets.

1 Like

I think you two are discussing the difference between pan fry vs deep fry, right?

1 Like

Maybe, but that’s not my reading. Actually, saute is generally “shallower” than frying.

1 Like

Fair enough… when I think of sauté, I think of a fat coated pan. And when I think fry I visualize a depth of oil (whether shallow or deep).

Maybe… I dunno. But I never fry in non-stick skillets, mainly because the oil cools off way too quickly after adding food.

I was gifted a set of two Analon Advanced non-stick fry pans. Didn’t use them much until recently. Just retired and feel like I’m playing hooky and I don’t want to work hard at anything, especially scrubbing pans. I love theses skillets! They brown wonderfully and clean easily. If they collect a little residue I just sprinkle in a little baking soda, give a light scrub and they are like new. Maybe I’ll never return to my stainless and cast iron……time will tell.

1 Like

My favorite nonstick pans by far are those from Woll in Germany. They’re made of quite thick cast aluminum and feature extremely durable nonstick coatings, including titanium or diamond. In addition to having a hybrid design, with thicker bases and tapering sidewalls, they’re made in both induction-compatible or non-induction compatible versions, so you can pick whichever suits your cooktop best.

My second favorite line of nonstick pans are Anolon Nouvelle Copper, which can be found more easily (and less expensively). They heat very evenly on all heat sources and have been surprisingly durable in my kitchen, at least when stored and handled with some care. I hope to get at least 10-15 years out of them.

1 Like

T-fal - I have two non stick ones both used for eggs. Can be purchased at TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Wal-Mart or really anywhere else-Signature non-stick. I went back to T-fal after many years of Calphalon and other brands.

I bought a wonderful non-stick DO at Marshalls from the MasterCook brand. I use it for oatmeal and it cleans up very, very easily.

T-fal is nice too, we have one in the RV. I do think the Anolon Advanced is more durable. Costco has been carrying some T-fal too.

1 Like

graciegg,

after reading 58 comments, your initial purchase decision holds up even better.

Ray

2 Likes