Nonstick Pan Recommendations

We run an all all-clad kitchen in both of our residences, Cambridge and Manhattan, except for a few cast-iron things. We maintain one flat non-stick pan in both places for pancakes and suchlike. These generally last 5-6 years.

Three years ago we bought our daughter a pair of A-C nonstick skillets, since she was starting to cook but is not of the cleaning temperament. They cost us $59 at Bed Barf & Beyond. They’re still going strong, and our daughter is not yet poisoned.

2 Likes

It remember depends on your philosophy here. You can either try to get the most durable nonstick pans and hope that it will last as long as it can. Or you can view nonstick pans as consumable products that needed to be replaced every 1-2 years, in which case, getting the cheapest is the way to go.

3 Likes

Personally I’m very happy with the 12” Tramontina I got for $40 on Amazon Andrea Nguyen recently did a broad study of nonstick options on her site: https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2022/02/nonstick-frying-pan-buying-guide.html

2 Likes

I recommend that Green Pan Paris is the best Nonstick Pan to buy.

1 Like

I went the super cheap route- bought one of those Blue Diamond nonstick pans from wallyworld. Used mainly for eggs. I couldn’t see investing a lot of money in a nonstick pan used for cooking eggs. DW safe and the handle stays relatively cool when cooking.

I know cookware purists are probably screaming.

3 Likes

Restaurant approach

Lecithin sprays are about as bad.

2 Likes

I bought a Green Pan only to return it. It has a limitation that is a deal breaker for me; you cannot use extra virgin olive oil in a Green Pan.

@gracieggg Whatever pan you get, suggest you get your husband a dedicated non-scratching spatula too :joy:

The really thin and flexible Oxo ones are great, but the edge can’t stand up to heat in my experience.

I gave my SIL this one which specifically mentioned high heat (and is priced to be disposable when you replace the pan haha).

3 Likes

Wait, what? Why?

I’m curious - why can’t you use EV olive oil in a Green Pan ?
Please elaborate…

Greenpan states that extra virgin olive oil and cooking sprays leave a film on the pan and void the warranty.

When I got my pan and saw the instruction not to use extra virgin olive oil (which wasn’t stated on Amazon.com), I emailed the company. I got a representative who didn’t know squat about cooking oil. She said the reason is that extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke point. She then recommended butter (clarified or unclarified) and coconut oil (virgin or filtered). I pointed out that both unclarified butter and virgin coconut oil have a lower smoke point than extra virgin olive oil.

2 Likes

Here is Greenpan’s explination:

“We always recommend using a little bit of oil or butter when using your GreenPan. It’s good to note that Extra Virgin Olive Oil and oil sprays carbonize very quickly when the pan is heated and should be avoided when cooking with ceramic non-stick."

1 Like

Ahhh thanks for your reply.

So I guess we can conclude, that you of course can use EV Olive oil in any pan out there, also a Green Pan :wink:

I do however avoid the fibre rich unrefined oils for seasoning of my carbon steel pans, but I’ve heard of people using EV olive oil as seasoning oil in their carbon steel pans, but I didn’t get the best results with these thicker more expensive oils personally.

When it comes to seasoning oil, cheaper refined oils are better.

But I almost use EV olive oils daily in my cooking.
And also when sautéing vegetables in my carbon steel pans :blush:

Sure, as long as you don’t mind the pan losing it’s non-stick quality and voiding the warranty.

I have a couple of Tramontina ceramic non-stick pans, and while they recommend against cooking sprays, they say nothing about EVOO.

Weird!

I have three nonstick pans from all clad… D5’s I think. No complaints.

I what way will a non stick pan lose its non stick abilities from using EV olive oil ?

As you point out, regular butter has a lower smoke point than EV olive oil, so will regular butter also ruin the non stick abilities of a Green Pan ?

I call BS on this.

If not, I’m glad I never bought a Green pan (not so) non stick pan :joy:

Greenpan claims that extra virgin olive oil and sprayed oils leave a film on the pans which renders them not nonstick.

1 Like

Yep, all nonstick cookware brands recommend against cooking spray.

From what I’ve heard, using cooking sprays voids the warranty, which lots of bakers don’t seem to know. Personally, I don’t use baking spray because I avoid trans-fats.

1 Like