Non-Italian pizza

I’m thinking dumplings from across the world would be an interesting candidate for cuisine of the quarter unless we’ve covered it already.

1 Like

Langos (pronounced LAN-gosh) is a Hungarian fried bread.

1 Like

Common throughout many parts of the former Austro Hungarian Empire , not just Hungary! :slight_smile:

I like that this Austrian blogger includes savoury toppings as suggestions .
https://www.strudelandschnitzel.com/langos/

A potato dough langos

2 Likes

@Phoenikia did you watch David Chang’s episode on pizza? You’d enjoy it.

You missed “desi pizza” ie indian pizza. Like indian chinese, somewhat related - but not really - to the original food :joy:

And still, delicious!

Odd toppings, but they work in context - corn, capsicum, and so on. The sauce is a bit more spiced. And sometimes, there’s… ketchup!

“Pizza bread” can also be found at any corner store or bakery - it’s like a thick pita. Most Indians don’t have an oven at home, so they buy the pre-baked base, add sauce, toppings, and cheese, and finish it on a stovetop griddle (covered briefly to melt the cheese).

Of course, in this day and age, you can get very authentic Neapolitan-style pizza there too, but OG desi pizza is a different animal!

There’s a chain in the US that made very similar pizza - Singha’s I think it was called? Out in Queens, but they briefly had an outlet in Manhattan (or I wouldn’t have come across them). I bet there’s something similar in toronto, given the indian population there.

I kinda want you to start a non-italian pasta thread now… because desi pizza made me think of desi pasta :joy:

2 Likes

Have you watched the episode of Mind of a Chef with Magnus Nilsson of Faviken? Apparently his favorite pizza is Hawaiian. Maybe being in perpetual darkness during the winter creates a craving for pineapple on pizza. Watching the episode made me want to try his version.

2 Likes

Quite interesting …

Funny you mention desi pizza. A Canadianized Italian chain in Calgary used to offer a tandoori chicken pizza drizzled with a Canadianized Raita that was a little sweet. So good.

Toronto currently has a Filipino cdn Detroit-style pizza place that looks amazing. I haven’t been yet.

My favourite Detroit pizza place (Descendant ) has a kothu roti and cilantro pizza that’s awesome . I will add a photo of that. Edit: adding Bon appetit article instead https://www.bonappetit.com/city-guides/toronto/venue/descendant-pizza

1 Like

I haven’t, but if it makes someone want to put pineapple on pizza, maybe I should, for research.

1 Like

Hi Saregama, I didn’t watch it. I haven’t been in the pattern of watching any food-related tv or podcasts. Just not my thing. I read papers, magazines and online forums. That’s it.
:slight_smile:

Good to know, though, for everyone who does watch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Zante’s in San Francisco does Indian Pizza. Paneer, tandoori chicken with Masala sauce, etc.

1 Like

Aldi now has two new varieties of their Mam Cozzi brand pizza: Gyro and Cuban. We got the Gyro, which is creme fraiche sauce, pulled pork (apparently not gyro), feta cheese, onions, black olives, and banana peppers. We added anchovies because … Greek. For $3.99 (plus the cost of anchovies), it wasn’t bad for two people, though there was very little meat. It was not a substitute for a real gyros sandwich.

The Cuban apparently is creme fraiche, cheeses, mustard, ham, and banana peppers. Since these were in their “here today, gone tomorrow” freezer case, we probably won’t get a chance to try it.

2 Likes

4 Likes

You do realize you can never travel to New York State again?

2 Likes

This month’s Mama Cozzi’s pizzas are Feta and Spinach, and Tex-Mex. If you think of the Tex-Mex as tlayuda, it makes more sense. Okay for the two of us; most people would say it was one serving.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This looks good

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Doner Pizza in the UK

…….

kebab pizza in Sweden