What's for Dinner #101 - the Holidaypalooza Edition! - December 2023

Chicken thigh piccata with spaetzle

22 Likes

Thanks to beefeaterrocks & Mr_happy I decided to take the plunge with Mr. B’s BBQ shrimp. So many recipes out there. Tossed with thin spaghetti and served with toasted bread. Very good.

And for dessert with a movie later on . Chex Mix made today.

22 Likes

I made pad krapow gai but used ground chicken because I initially confused it with larb/laab (pick your favorite). Served with brown rice and tenderstem broccoli with fish sauce, soy sauce, black vinegar, crispy garlic, and shallots. I put back half of this rice that my DH plated. More room for spring roll. Served with garlic-chile vinegar.

25 Likes

I would lose so much weight if I couldn’t taste anything! I’m sorry you’re still struggling with it, though. Super-frustrating for sure :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m sorry it has happened to you - do you have any idea why? We’ve had Covid in our household about 3-4 times - lost my smell and taste once before but recovered about 2 weeks later. This time - no dice.

Harkening back to @Phoenikia’s thread on Non-Italian Pizza (here and here): thin-crust pizza with apple, bacon, caramelized onion, a thyme-infused bechamel, gruyere, low-moisture mozz, and a home-smoked cheddar cheese. A combo of balsamic vinegar and boiled cider for drizzling. Delicious.

Greens in vinaigrette on the side.

26 Likes

Last night, no pic, a toasted ham and brie sandwich on marble rye, eaten half in the kitchen, I was that hungry.

Tonight, leftover masala dal with zucchini, ambemohar rice, and Bengali-ish mustard salmon that I roasted from frozen because I was so hungry (there’s a theme building).

A couple of nights ago, masala dal with zucchini, garlic naan, and chicken malai kabab.

26 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Black eyed peas, smoked ham shank, collards. Food of the gods. Corn bread muffins, butter, tomato, cuke, onion salad with oo&v dressing, dill. Red Snapper, Beefeater Rocks x 2.
Dessert is fruit cake and eggnog. I’m still celebrating Repeal Day.

26 Likes

Smoked salmon, red onion, and spinach omelette. The only things missing were the bagel and the cream cheese. Served with toasted challah with butter that was too cold and some cherry tomatoes because I usually eat my bagel, cream cheese and lox with tomatoes.

24 Likes

I really didn’t feel like cooking tonight, so I threw together a quick pasta meal. I microwaved some frozen meatballs, cream of mushroom soup, a can of peas and some pasta. I did try to add some legitimacy to my creation by topping it with some shredded Parmesan cheese. It was OK and I did put a hot meal on the table… Good enough.

22 Likes

You win the internet, sir

14 Likes

Last night:

Beef and string bean stir-fry with a little bit of broccoli…and chili crisp! Is there any left in the jar?

Tonight:

I discovered the secret to homemade pizza, which is never quite the same as a pizzeria no matter what we do. Shop Rite sells “Olive Oil Artisan Flatbread” of which I am a fan. Tonight, I used them as bases for a couple of pizzas. A Shrimp Scampi Pie (pictured here) and then one with mushrooms and onions. Both got a light layer of Rao’s pizza sauce. The crusts were baked for 10 minutes plain at 400, left to cool for a few minutes, and then baked with the toppings for another 10. Outstanding. Closest I’ve ever come to restaurant-worthy pizza, and we have used various store-bought crusts, and frozen and homemade doughs. Crust sprinkled with garlic powder, Pecorino, and oregano in-between bakings.

Martini with both.

31 Likes

I always give my less doughy crusts a bit of a cook. It really does make the difference.

2 Likes

That pizza combination sounds fantastic, I would gladly wolf down an entire one by myself.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Casa lingua’s kitchen will be clean and deserted tonight as we’ve been invited to a friend’s swanky Babylon Berlin themed 60th bday party at a beloved restaurant in town.

Festivities begin at the very olepeepo-friendly hour of 5:30pm :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: with cocktails & apps while being serenaded by my bass & sax/clarinet (an odd combo if you ask me, but hey – I didn’t hire them) followed by dinner & dancing.

I believe the dining choices were Caesar or soup, salmon or chicken, and dessert. Can’t wait to see everyone decked out in style & dance the mid evening away with abandon :smiley: :partying_face:

I love the holiday season.

15 Likes

DH made a lovely batch of garlicky scampi, using a bag of frozen cleaned uncooked TJ shrimp.
A few of us ate it over linguine,with extra lemon DH ate his on a tostada with salsa and avocado.
Second son had left over pizza. Just enough leftover for lunch for someone. :yum:

15 Likes

A quick chicken stroganoff, served on egg noodles with buttered peas and corn off the cob.

This was supposed to have been last night’s dinner, but an overly long annual condo board meeting steered me in the direction of a bowl of Trader Joe’s Vanilla Almond Clusters cereal. Which was also good…but definitely not stroganoff-good.

There was most definitely wine tonight!

26 Likes

Gingery braised shrimp and bok choy noodles, made on the fly. Very much comfort food!

28 Likes