New Jersey Coronavirus/Covid19 Local Restaurant Specials

Putting this here since it’s tied to the pandemic:

2 Likes

Really wanted Sichuan Cottage yesterday but although I tried a bunch of times there was no answer.

Ended up trying Crown Palace in Marlboro. These days I hate to post anything negative, but it was horrible. The noodles in the Thin Noodle with Ginger and Scallion weren’t fully cooked and there was nary a bit of ginger to be found. Tofu in Brown Sauce was weak and watery. I could go on unfortunately.

2 Likes

@CurlzNJ

Though physical space itself is the highest hurdle. With tables required to be six feet apart, many spots are looking to sidewalks and side alleys. <<

This statement conjured an unpleasant picture in my mind. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

We got takeout from Neelam on Friday night and it was amazing! I’ve missed them so much!!! Ordered at about 5 pm and was told 45 mins. They were spot on with that and the phone was ringing off the hook while I was there.

1 Like

I realize Crown Palace is close, but Jin Li is less than a mile away and on a level with Sichuan Cottage, though with a slightly different, and slightly more expensive menu.

We had some nice takeout from Cafe Chameleon, which is run by the same chef that ran Escape in Montclair, which we liked. It was our first time trying this new restaurant. Below is a link to pictures and details, as well as the weekly takeout menu that has half price bottles of wine.

1 Like

@paryzer

Great pics. But this… This is artful!

2 Likes

I tried a couple of days ago and they did not answer. I called around 5pm.

1 Like

Thanks Jimmy :slightly_smiling_face:

House of Chong back today for takeout and delivery. Just an fYI for those looking for some good Chinese food again…
@gcaggiano

2 Likes

First I think 1 in 10 = 10% which I feel is a very low-ball estimate. (sorry for my OCD but I had to read this like 3 X’s to make sure I wasn’t missing something)

From the article:
"A full 15% to 18% are not expected to reopen, Marilou Halvorsen, president of the New Jersey Restaurant & Hospitality Association, told a state Senate committee Monday afternoon. "

So why in the Headline do they say 1 in 10 (or 10%) only to directly contradict themselves in the article? lol

Sorry but I feel it’s probably closer to 20-25% will not return.

4 Likes

Because it’s NJ.com? I wonder how many restaurants close every year without a pandemic.

2 Likes

I fully agree with you… Everything else I’ve read says 25% minimum won’t reopen. That said, I’ve already submitted one correction to NJ.com this week (it had to do with statistics about the virus), so I’m out (unless they want to hire me to be a fact-checker/proofreader). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

In addition, I expect a lot of places to reopen and then close because they won’t be profitable under the new rules regarding reduced capacity, distance between tables, more labor costs for cleaning and somewhat higher food costs.

6 Likes

Another thing going unsaid, is: how many restaurants reopening will “modify” the menus that made them an attraction? We’ve already heard from two of our favorite dining spots that they’re only offering “bar fare” until they sort things out. When my favorite dish is Mussels in a White Wine Reduction, and you tell me “Sorry. We’re not serving that now. But, I can get you a Cheeseburger & Fries…” No sale for this couple.

4 Likes

I wonder about this. Places are acting like starting this week it’s all just going to go back to normal. All these spots need to continue to adapt to the new normal be that take out, delivery, family style, booze to go , etc… just thinking that it’s bau starting next week is setting yourself up to fail.

3 Likes

According to Patch.com, Aberdeen is looking into setting up a tented dining area in the Town Square Shopping Center parking lot (Court Jester, Town Square Diner, Wing Hing, Mahzu, Denino’s, and Taco Bell).

Just saw this posted in a fb group related to the reopening of the state. Can any Asbury people confirm? Same person said restaurants will do indoor dining at 25% occupancy.

“Asbury Park just announced in their city council meeting that ALL businesses may resume as of June 15 (along with their outdoor dining date). They are superseding Gov Murphy and saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ! My husband runs restaurants and we may actually survive… stay tuned for your towns to do the same! God willing !”

I saw the same post but no restaurants have mentioned it.

1 Like