New Jersey Coronavirus/Covid19 Local Restaurant Specials

Barnacle Bill’s with a nice looking set-up:

Considering waits during the week with a full restaurant, I cannot even imagine what it will be like with only 10 tables. Unless they take reservations.

3 Likes

How about a restaurant opening?

Located on Bridge Ave in Red Bank, I give you Salinas Cafe

https://salinascafe.com/

2 Likes

Have you been? Looks like it’s in the Galleria, I wonder which spot they took over? Is that Dutch Bakery place still open? I forgot their name…

1 Like

https://salinascafe.com/menu

Very eclectic menu.

1 Like

I haven’t been yet. I just saw the opening post today. But this has @NotJrvedivici written all over it:

MEDITERRANEAN PORK CHOP

$22

chef’s signature sauce with bell peppers, onions and cherry peppers

served with mashed or roasted potatoes

We had some excellent takeout from St. Eve’s in Ho Ho Kus. Details and pictures in the below WFD link.

1 Like

Local 130 Seafood just posted this, so I thought I’d share:

Hey guys -

PSA: Home delivery is Alive and Well!! We are constantly adding new product offerings to our store!!

Wanted to share again our home delivery information. We offer NEXT DAY deliveries across the state Monday thru Saturday.

We offer SAME DAY deliveries to ocean county and Monmouth (not guaranteed but we do our best) if orders are placed before 11am same day.

We offer NEXT DAY PICK UP at our retail store. Orders will be available NEXT DAY after 11am. Pick ups are available Monday - Saturday.

We offer SAME DAY pick up at retail ONLY if order placed before 8am same day Monday - Saturday.

We don’t do any deliveries pick up or deliveries on Sunday. Any order placed after 11am Saturday or anytime Sunday will be delivered Monday. Please just visit our store during abbreviated hours 10-3pm on Sunday.

5 Likes

I’m doing another order tomorrow. Home delivery fish has been one of the major pluses of Covid at my house!

5 Likes

Don’t know where else to put this, so here I am… Whole Foods has Short Ribs on sale for $5.99/lb starting today through 8/11.

6 Likes

Wow nice! I just made short rib not too long ago, but it’s like my granpappy use to say: “you can never have too much short rib”.

6 Likes

Just read that Jimmy’s is open for outdoor dining…

3 Likes

They have a parking lot that they could have put up a tent, I see the owner every time I go to franks as she eats there every morning and I could never figure out why they just wouldn’t put up a tent.
I know the parking around there would be sketchy but there is Uber and whatnot

3 Likes

Here are some specials you might want to avoid:

Recently, some wise HO suggested creating topics for restaurants doing it right/wrong during Covid. I want to share some disturbing things I’ve seen this past week, but I hesitate to call out restaurant names during these times of struggle.

One new breakfast restaurant offered us a table inside during a storm. I questioned whether it was allowed and the owner told me that it’s fine if it’s only one table. It’s not. We refused.

We went for lunch at an outdoor deck on a golf course on Friday. The server was not wearing a mask and when we asked about it, she said that it wasn’t required for outdoor dining. It is.

What do you think? Call them out or not? I’m torn.

On a positive note, we had lunch at Boondocks in Red Bank last Sunday and they are doing it right: tables spaced adequately, staff wore masks, no printed menus, taped markers on floor to keep distance during ordering, single-use cutlery and napkins on table, hand-sanitizer stations. Oh and good food!

2 Likes

Paywall.

I have found myself in a similar situation. I’m “guilty” off calling out some place like the Butcher’s Block, but I do feel certain actions are so egregious they need to be called out. I don’t care how “right” the owner thought/thinks he is, you can NEVER tell a customer to “Stay the F#ck” home. I’m sorry, you just can’t do that. So when it’s captured by social media and they own it, I have NO problem calling them out.

If you were truly the only person the owner offered an indoor table to, I have a hard time calling him out if he was trying to accommodate you. If he said one table but opened the doors and there were a dozen tables seated, maybe I would, but just offering the gesture I don’t think deserves a call out.

The second instance with the server, I would have probably asked for a manager and if he insisted they didn’t need masks, I would call him/them out. However the server himself, possibly a kid just doing his job or repeated what he was told? I probably wouldn’t call him out.

I passed by Boondocks on Friday night and they had a looooooooooong line! Good for them!

4 Likes

I’m also torn about putting any restaurant on blast except for ones that obviously don’t care about how they are perceived (cough. Butcher’s Block. cough). But, did want to post about our pizza experience last night which was very, very easy at Esposito’s in Matawan. You call your order in, you could pay via CC over the phone, drive up and talk to them through passenger side window and pop your trunk. Easy peasy.

5 Likes

Second instance: Asked for manager. The server, not a kid, was the only employee working other than the cook. I will follow up. Appreciate the feedback!

2 Likes

Yeah, that was me. And then I didn’t have the guts to start the thread–for exactly the reasons you’ve outlined. I truly feel bad for chefs/owners/staff right now, but I also feel like from an ethical standpoint, it’s important we tell one another if a place isn’t safe so we can choose whether or not to patronize them in these weird times.

I’m with @NotJrvedivici - when info is very public (such as on a restaurant’s own social media page), it’s very fair game. I’ve also seen a number of threads on our local NextDoor board go off the rails because someone “heard from my friend that…” - not something that happens as much here, where we tend to call each other out or question someone who’s new to HO. All that said, I’m still conflicted about doing public harm unless there is a very valid story to share (like yours).

1 Like

Weird…I don’t subscribe and I can see it. How about this link?

1 Like